Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Wheezy and alsa: [ac3] Specified sample_fmt is not supported

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
soeiro

Wheezy and alsa: [ac3] Specified sample_fmt is not supported

#1 Post by soeiro »

Folks

I had a working configuration and during the last few weeks something has broken. I use an alsa filter to convert a 5.1 audio stream to AC3 so that it can be sent to my hometheater system (the only other option would be by HDMI, but the FOSS driver doesn't support more then 2 audio channels yet).

My .asoundrc configuration is:

Code: Select all

pcm.a52encode {
        type a52
        format S16_LE
        channels 6
        rate 48000
        bitrate 448
        card "Intel"
}

pcm.hometheater {
        type plug
        slave.pcm "a52encode"
        slave.channels 6
}
It used to work, but now whenever I try to send audio to the "hometheater" device this happens:

Code: Select all

$ speaker-test -Dhometheater -c6 -twav
speaker-test 1.0.24.2

Playback device is hometheater
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 6 channels
WAV file(s)
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 3072 to 15360
Period size range from 1536 to 1536
Using max buffer size 15360
Periods = 4
[ac3 @ 0x1c14000] Specified sample_fmt is not supported.
Unable to set hw params for playback: invalid argument                                                                              
Setting of hwparams failed: invalid argument 
By using google I've found found out the something in the libavcodec has changed and now it only expects float values. However, I can't seem to do anything about it. So, does anyone know how to create a .asoundrc filter that would convert from S16_LE format to whatever float that is needed by libavcodec? Or any other solutions to send a 5.1 audio stream to a receiver using either spdif or hdmi?

Thanks,
Luis

soeiro

Re: Wheezy and alsa: [ac3] Specified sample_fmt is not suppo

#2 Post by soeiro »

Just adding more informaton.

I've found the problem also reported here:

http://www.ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/363

It seems that the libasound module wasn't sending the sample format to libavcodec. The article says that the problem should be fixed, but I didn't find a new libasound in debian yet. Maybe I misunderstoodsomething...Does anybody have any clue?

Thanks