Installing xfce after netinstall

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Re: Installing xfce after netinstall

Postby layr » 2011-11-02 10:24

nadir wrote:from the debian wiki, where you will find a lot of info of that kind (and a lot not :-) )
http://wiki.debian.org/tasksel

Well, I'm obviously not too good with the Debian wiki. Even landed on that page, but ctrl+F 'utilities' didn't give any results so i gave up with that one :P
Edit: this stuff keeps pouring down - why can't i login to synaptic? Says the passwd is incorrect. Does this have something to do with the fact i disabled login as root?
layr

Postby vbrummond » 2011-11-02 12:39

If you disabled the root account do you have sudo working? Make sure you are added to the admin group and run:
Code: Select all
sudo update-alternatives --config libgksu-gconf-defaults

Pick gksudo instead of gksu.
Always on Debian Testing
vbrummond

Postby ivanovnegro » 2011-11-02 12:40

Have you configured sudo then?
ivanovnegro

Postby el_koraco » 2011-11-02 12:45

layr wrote:4. pm-utils and upower are installed, but suspend is still not listed in the exit menu?! (having installed gdm3)

You need xfce4-power-manager, and you need to add it to the list of startup applications.
el_koraco

Postby layr » 2011-11-02 16:58

vbrummond wrote:If you disabled the root account do you have sudo working? Make sure you are added to the admin group and run:
sudo update-alternatives --config libgksu-gconf-defaults

Pick gksudo instead of gksu.

Yes, sudo is working. So far i've been running synaptic via "sudo synaptic".
What i did:
sudo groupadd admin
sudo adduser myusername admin

When it comes to 'sudo update-alternatives --config libgksu-gconf-defaults', then...
There are 2 choices for the alternative libgksu-gconf-defaults (providing /usr/share/gconf/defaults/10_libgksu).

Selection    Path                                                   Priority   Status
------------------------------------------------------------
* 0            /usr/share/libgksu/debian/gconf-defaults.libgksu-su   20        auto mode
  1            /usr/share/libgksu/debian/gconf-defaults.libgksu-su     20        manual mode
  2            /usr/share/libgksu/debian/gconf-defaults.libgksu-sudo   10        manual mode
...i'm not familiar with these settings ie what are they for and... can't see 'gksudo' here either.

ivanovnegro wrote:Have you configured sudo then?

Do you mean editing sudoers file? IMHO everything looks ok there:

#
# This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
#
# See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
#

Defaults        env_reset

# Host alias specification

# User alias specification

# Cmnd alias specification

# User privilege specification
root    ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL

# Allow members of group sudo to execute any command
%sudo ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
# (Note that later entries override this, so you might need to move
# it further down)
%sudo ALL=(ALL) ALL

# See sudoers(5) for more information on "#include" directives:

#includedir /etc/sudoers.d

PS tried adding myself to group 'sudo' too.
el_koraco wrote:You need xfce4-power-manager, and you need to add it to the list of startup applications.

Okay.. i'll add it to startup list as soon as i get the admin rights:P Btw, may the gnome-power-manager be uninstalled when xfce4-power-manager is installed?
layr

Postby ivanovnegro » 2011-11-02 17:09

layr wrote:Okay.. i'll add it to startup list as soon as i get the admin rights:P Btw, may the gnome-power-manager be uninstalled when xfce4-power-manager is installed?

I think it is better to uninstall the Gnome Power Manager if you want to use the one from Xfce.
ivanovnegro

Postby vbrummond » 2011-11-02 17:41

Well obviously the correct one is the below. It should be a know brainer considering there are only two choices. The auto choice is just for information.
  2            /usr/share/libgksu/debian/gconf-defaults.libgksu-sudo   10        manual mode

This should enable synaptic to work from the menu entry using sudo instead of su.
Always on Debian Testing
vbrummond

Postby layr » 2011-11-02 17:45

vbrummond wrote:Well obviously the correct one is the below. It should be a know brainer considering there are only two choices. The auto choice is just for information.

This should enable synaptic to work from the menu entry using sudo instead of su.

Tried both other options already, still a no-go.
layr

Postby vbrummond » 2011-11-02 17:57

Well it should work, unless the menu entry specifically uses gksu or policy kit.
Always on Debian Testing
vbrummond

Postby layr » 2011-11-02 19:05

By the way, what is the root password? Installation never required creating root password. The same as user account password?
layr

Postby vbrummond » 2011-11-02 19:09

The Debian installation requires you input a root password, you can leave it blank to automatically set up the first user as sudo.
Always on Debian Testing
vbrummond

Postby layr » 2011-11-02 19:33

vbrummond wrote:The Debian installation requires you input a root password, you can leave it blank to automatically set up the first user as sudo.

I probably sound like a smart-ass, but no, it didn't. Installer asked password only for my user, 'root password' was never mentioned.
layr

Postby vbrummond » 2011-11-02 19:39

I do not think you are being a smart ass, its just I have never had it not ask me.
Always on Debian Testing
vbrummond

Postby salome » 2011-11-02 19:42

vbrummond wrote:The Debian installation requires you input a root password, you can leave it blank to automatically set up the first user as sudo.

I remember this happened to me the first time I did a Debian netinst. I left the password for root blank--very easy to miss for someone with short attention span like me. Never have to sudo again.
Debian Wheezy + Xfce
# aptitude purge windows
salome

Postby layr » 2011-11-02 20:00

vbrummond wrote:I do not think you are being a smart ass, its just I have never had it not ask me.

That is available only when you select the option allowing logging in as root.
layr

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners Questions