Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing xfce after netinstall

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
ivanovnegro

Re: Installing xfce after netinstall

#21 Post by ivanovnegro »

layr wrote: Okay.. i'll add it to startup list as soon as i get the admin rights:P Btw, may the gnome-power-manager be uninstalled when xfce4-power-manager is installed?
I think it is better to uninstall the Gnome Power Manager if you want to use the one from Xfce.

vbrummond

#22 Post by vbrummond »

Well obviously the correct one is the below. It should be a know brainer considering there are only two choices. The auto choice is just for information.

Code: Select all

2            /usr/share/libgksu/debian/gconf-defaults.libgksu-sudo   10        manual mode
This should enable synaptic to work from the menu entry using sudo instead of su.
Always on Debian Testing

layr

#23 Post by layr »

vbrummond wrote:Well obviously the correct one is the below. It should be a know brainer considering there are only two choices. The auto choice is just for information.

2            /usr/share/libgksu/debian/gconf-defaults.libgksu-sudo   10        manual mode
This should enable synaptic to work from the menu entry using sudo instead of su.
Tried both other options already, still a no-go.

vbrummond

#24 Post by vbrummond »

Well it should work, unless the menu entry specifically uses gksu or policy kit.
Always on Debian Testing

layr

#25 Post by layr »

By the way, what is the root password? Installation never required creating root password. The same as user account password?

vbrummond

#26 Post by vbrummond »

The Debian installation requires you input a root password, you can leave it blank to automatically set up the first user as sudo.
Always on Debian Testing

layr

#27 Post by layr »

vbrummond wrote:The Debian installation requires you input a root password, you can leave it blank to automatically set up the first user as sudo.
I probably sound like a smart-ass, but no, it didn't. Installer asked password only for my user, 'root password' was never mentioned.

vbrummond

#28 Post by vbrummond »

I do not think you are being a smart ass, its just I have never had it not ask me.
Always on Debian Testing

salome

#29 Post by salome »

vbrummond wrote:The Debian installation requires you input a root password, you can leave it blank to automatically set up the first user as sudo.
I remember this happened to me the first time I did a Debian netinst. I left the password for root blank--very easy to miss for someone with short attention span like me. Never have to sudo again.
Debian Wheezy + Xfce
# aptitude purge windows

layr

#30 Post by layr »

vbrummond wrote:I do not think you are being a smart ass, its just I have never had it not ask me.
That is available only when you select the option allowing logging in as root.

vbrummond

#31 Post by vbrummond »

layr wrote:That is available only when you select to allow logging in as root.
I am sorry but.. back up. You disabled root intentionally and then state that the installer does not ask for a root password? Disabling root prompt is only available if you choose to use a more verbose installer as well. You can probably make a root account if you give it a password, but I would make sure before you do I do not have vbox up to test if it breaks anything. :) (I usually have a root account I never disabled it until this install).
Always on Debian Testing

layr

#32 Post by layr »

Haha:D I thought the 'login as root' was as for logging from login page only:D
Then again, Ubuntu doesn't even have that option, yet root passwords work?!
(i'm probably mixing something up again). Well, i'll go with the root login option then :)

vbrummond

#33 Post by vbrummond »

Ubuntu actually is set up with no root login, which some people complain about. To be honest I really see no difference and find sudo to be more convenient. (except when I have to echo something into a file, I need to log into a root shell with sudo su)
Always on Debian Testing

layr

#34 Post by layr »

Ok, got that working now.
But suspend option is still a no-go :(

vbrummond

#35 Post by vbrummond »

All I know about suspend is your hardware must support it under Linux (never had it work with nvidia cards) and you need pm-utils installed.
Always on Debian Testing

layr

#36 Post by layr »

vbrummond wrote:All I know about suspend is your hardware must support it under Linux (never had it work with nvidia cards) and you need pm-utils installed.
pm-utils - check
and suspend worked under ubuntu (only hibernation goofed every now-and-then)
I should add that i now started testing on VM. That might be the problem. I'll try it on separate partition and post results.

vbrummond

#37 Post by vbrummond »

If it can work under Linux then it is possible, obviously. A log of a failed suspend would help but I am not sure how to obtain that data unless it is under the back-up dmesg log. (/var/log/dmesg.1?). Also which Ubuntu version worked.. Debian Stable uses 2.6.32, which is the same as Ubuntu Lucid. You can optionally install a newer kernel in Debian that might fix the issue.
Always on Debian Testing

Thorny

#38 Post by Thorny »

layr wrote:...
Then again, Ubuntu doesn't even have that option, yet root passwords work?!
(i'm probably mixing something up again).
Yes, you are mixing something up, or rather, misinterpreting. In default Ubuntu, user, root, does not have a password except in cases where a desktop install has been re-configured to have one or in server installs where one is usually desired. The admin user (first one created) can sudo (with the user password) but that is not a user, root, password.
vbrummond wrote:A log of a failed suspend would help but I am not sure how to obtain that data
Try: /var/log/pm-suspend.log, it might have useful information.

el_koraco

#39 Post by el_koraco »

layr wrote:Ok, got that working now.
But suspend option is still a no-go :(
run

su -c 'pm-suspend'
and input your root password, or

sudo pm-suspend
with your user password.
I still don't get which of the admin options you're using.

layr

#40 Post by layr »

layr wrote:I should add that i now started testing on VM. Might that might be the problem?
Did you copy that? Added this later. At this second i can't get to wired connection, so i can try installation on partition later.
vbrummond wrote:If it can work under Linux then it is possible, obviously. A log of a failed suspend would help but I am not sure how to obtain that data unless it is under the back-up dmesg log. (/var/log/dmesg.1?). Also which Ubuntu version worked.. Debian Stable uses 2.6.32, which is the same as Ubuntu Lucid. You can optionally install a newer kernel in Debian that might fix the issue.
Worked under Ubuntu 10.10 and 11.04 (haven't tested others). Current kernel is 3.0.0.1
Not sure if this is what you mean, but here they are: dmesg and dmesg.0
el_koraco wrote:run

su -c 'pm-suspend'
and input your root password, or

sudo pm-suspend
with your user password.
I still don't get which of the admin options you're using.
Those commands didn't do anything - no error either.
As for the admin options... i'm not sure either to be honest. I just reinstalled again and added my user to the sudoers file.
EDIT: finally managed to generate error by getting suspend button to panel. "Failed to suspend session. No kernel support"