Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing xfce after netinstall

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
nadir

Re: Installing xfce after netinstall

#41 Post by nadir »

The best is to get rid of sudo altogether.
The second best would be to understand sudo, and what it might be used for. The Ubuntu way is not what it might be used for.
(That is not against Ubuntu, i don't care how they do it, and it probably is a distro as good or bad as any other. I only say that using sudo that way doesn't make much sense, and leads to trouble too. There must be a reason all other distributions do it different, or not? I doubt that is the source of your actual problem, but i picked the best option, instead of the second best. That means i use su).
The most short way to say how i do things: i use the Debian defaults. I ain't got much problems, though i don't know much.
If you know why you use sudo ignore my post.
"Failed to suspend session. No kernel support"
No clue, i never suspend, but i would simply try a different kernel, say liquorix. The other option is to search the web for that (until someone can tell you, i can't).
If you still do it in VBox go to -> settings -> system -> processor -> and enable PAE at the bottom of it (wild shots in the dark).

btw: at the very top of this thread you ask about xfce/compiz. It works good for me (but so does gnome...). It is worth a try.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

vbrummond

#42 Post by vbrummond »

I was not able to find a way to suspend inside virtualbox.
Always on Debian Testing

el_koraco

#43 Post by el_koraco »

nadir wrote:The best is to get rid of sudo altogether.
It's a few letters, don't make a big deal out of it.
@layr, it doesn't even make sense to troubleshoot suspending in a VM. Once you put Debian on a partition, we can diagnose the problem (in case it persists).

nadir

#44 Post by nadir »

no, it is not a few letters.

ivanovnegro

#45 Post by ivanovnegro »

I am with @el_koraco, I use sudo, do not see any problem with it.

nadir

#46 Post by nadir »

last paragraph: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 15#p253367
I would feel much better if anyone could telly me why he thinks he needs sudo that way (that way means instead of su)
ivanovnegro wrote:I am with @el_koraco, I use sudo, do not see any problem with it.
You might want to stress the "I" and add a "with what i do as of now"

ivanovnegro

#47 Post by ivanovnegro »

nadir wrote:last paragraph: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 15#p253367
I would feel much better if anyone could telly me why he thinks he needs sudo that way (that way means instead of su)
ivanovnegro wrote:I am with @el_koraco, I use sudo, do not see any problem with it.
You might want to stress the "I" and add a "with what i do as of now"
Ok, I really won't go into a sudo discussion here. I think Debian is doing it right, it offers you the choice, Ubuntu not, and I really do not care about the Ubuntu way. But sudo is there for a reason and Debian offers you that, so it is a part of Debian and is not only an Ubuntu thing. I use sudo for my admin tasks and that is all and I am also the only user on my machine. I do not say others have to do the same as I do but I also do not descourage people from using sudo.

el_koraco

#48 Post by el_koraco »

nadir wrote:no, it is not a few letters.
Yes it is.

nadir

#49 Post by nadir »

el_koraco wrote:
nadir wrote:no, it is not a few letters.
Yes it is.
You might want to edit the Debian wiki page, in that case.
Root > sudo

Sudo is a program designed to let system administrators allow some users to execute some commands as root (or another user). The basic philosophy is to give as few privileges as possible but still allow people to get their work done. Sudo is also an effective way to log who ran which command and when.

As of DebianSqueeze, if you ask for the Desktop task during the installation, that pulls in sudo with a default configuration that automatically grants sudo-ing rights to any member of the sudo group. Depending on what user accounts you set up during the install, it's still possible that you may not have been added to that group - you can check by running groups.

Why sudo?

Using sudo is better (safer) than opening a session as root for a number of reasons, including:

Nobody needs to know the root password (sudo prompts for the current user's password). Extra privileges can be granted to individual users temporarily, and then taken away without the need for a password change.

It's easy to run only the commands that require special privileges via sudo; the rest of the time, you work as an unprivileged user, which reduces the damage that mistakes can cause.
Auditing/logging: when a sudo command is executed, the original username and the command are logged.

For the reasons above, switching to root using sudo -i (or sudo su) is usually deprecated because it cancels the above features.

Configuration overview

Now, if you want to allow certain users to execute certain programs, here's a quick example (for more information, read the fine manual).
http://wiki.debian.org/sudo

ivanovnegro: I use sudo for my admin tasks and that is all and I am also the only user on my machine.
But that is what i was talking about. _If_ you are the only user, i for one can't see any reason for sudo at all. If i could, i might be using it. If i would be using it, and i ran into problems of any kind, i would think about not using it. I guess.

vbrummond

#50 Post by vbrummond »

I use sudo and I do so by choice why? Because all I need to do is add a few letters to the beginning of a command. And I still have the power to log into a root shell if I want.
Always on Debian Testing

el_koraco

#51 Post by el_koraco »

nadir wrote: But that is what i was talking about. _If_ you are the only user, i for one can't see any reason for sudo at all. If i could, i might be using it. If i would be using it, and i ran into problems of any kind, i would think about not using it. I guess.
A typical user will not do a whole bunch of administering the system, so whether he uses sudo or su to open a root shell is largely irrelevant. As for usage, I su to root for admin tasks, but here's an excerpt from my sudoers file

Code: Select all

lekoraco  ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/pm-suspend
lekoraco  ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/reboot
lekoraco  ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/poweroff
lekoraco  ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/hdparm
Don't have no policykit and shutdown dialogs, so this saves up on time and nerves (I have the relevant commands aliased to sudo in my .zshrc, so I never even type it). There's always a way to use various tools on Linux that one doesn't think of immediately.

nadir

#52 Post by nadir »

Of that i did not speak at all, it and it is not what the OP does. That is a way to use sudo which makes sense, and it is what the Debian wiki speaks about too.

hellfire695

#53 Post by hellfire695 »

You also may get much better performance if only install what you need and use apt-build. however be careful with apt-build it \'s still a bit exprimental in nature
Don't bash windows it's like kicking a puppy. And you wouldn't kick a puppy would you? WOULD YOU!?
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2011/0 ... tml?page=2

elav

#54 Post by elav »

Greetings:
I searched the forum a solution to my problem and not find it. Using Debian Testing and LightDM and everything works perfectly. Where is the problem? If I lift up the session with Slim or startx, Xfce will not let me restart or shut down the PC.

I tried installing HAL and DBUS and did not work. I tried adding my user to the group powerdev did not work. I tried adding the file /etc/sudoers line:

user ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/shutdown-helper-xfsm
did not work either. Even the binary xfsm-shutdown-helper does not exist on this route.
I also do not work to lock the screen with Xscreensaver, and I repeat, all this happens with Slim or startx, with LightDM everything works normally. I was weighing that maybe the way it manages LightDM Xfce session, is what causes the shutdown and restart buttons work but not sure.

I created .xinitrc file in my / home, which contains this in:

#!/bin/sh
#
# ~/.xinitrc
#
# Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)

# exec gnome-session
# exec startkde
# exec startxfce4
# ...or the Window Manager of your choice

#exec ck-launch-session startxfce4
exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch xfce4-session
but neither has worked. Any solution for this?

Sorry for my bad english :mrgreen:
url: blog.desdelinux.net

layr

#55 Post by layr »

Happy Debian user now.
Anyway, i have learned about the '--no-install-recommends' function. Is there a solid rule to figure out whether the packages NEEDS recommends or not (for instance the openoffice case)?
Could xfce4 and gdm3 be installed with this option; or xorg for that matter?

boobdillin

#56 Post by boobdillin »

Install without recommends and see if you have the functionality you need, if not then install the recommends or just reinstall the package with recommends.

layr

#57 Post by layr »

el_koraco wrote:
salome wrote:Why use gdm3 instead of lighter display managers like slim, xdm or lightdm? Because Wheezy's policykit bugs (e.g. USB device mounting, suspend/hibernate) affect these light DMs.
You need

..somestuff...
eval 'dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session' 
exec ck-launch-session WM/DE
in .xinitrc in order to get the permissions working correctly.
The .xinitrc should be in the /home directory right? Can't locate that file anywhere.
Found a non-hidden xinitrc: /etc/X11/xinit/
That's not the same is it?
Edit: i give up with slim and the like - gdm3 is way too much easier to use.