Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Etch getting closer

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Lou

Etch getting closer

#1 Post by Lou »

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20061127

"The development of Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 "etch" is nearing its end. After some 18 months of hard work there is certainly a lot to look forward to, including the latest 2.6.18 kernel, X.Org 7.1, GNOME 2.14.3 and KDE 3.5.5. Some of the work that Ubuntu has done over the past couple of years also seem to have filtered back to Debian; as an example, the update notifier, which first appeared in Ubuntu 5.04, is now installed and enabled by default to keep everyone's Debian system up-to-date with security fixes. A "Software Preferences" dialog allows modifying the installation sources without having to resort to the command line and is accessible, together with the Synaptic package manager, directly from GNOME's Administration menu. GNOME remains the default desktop in Debian 4.0, while Epiphany, rather then the much popularised GNU IceWeasel, is the default browser. As the testing branch is about to enter the hard-freeze period prior to the release, this is the best time to test the upcoming version and report bugs."
Devuan Jessie - IceWM - vimperator - no DM
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid

stux

#2 Post by stux »

Will there be anything new in unstable/testing or does that continue as is :?
From Glory to Glory

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#3 Post by Lavene »

I hate the fact that Debian has decided on a default desktop. I really think it atleast should offer KDE and maybe also Xfce at the time of install.

The update notifier is a nice touch though because when you're running stable you really don't think about checking for upgrades very often.

Just my €0.02 :wink:

Tina

hcgtv

#4 Post by hcgtv »

Lavene,

I think they had to pick a default desktop to make it easier for the average user to get up and running, Ubuntu proved the theory.

I've tried every desktop and window manager out there over the years, I used to have KDE as my default but have been using Gnome lately. So now I bounce from Gnome to Enlightenment, staying with GTK apps.

In preparation for Etch, I wiped out KDE from my workstation, I hated to see my menus littered with 100's of QT apps that I wouldn't run alongside GTK ones. I guess I just want to simplify things, tired of having too many choices.
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#5 Post by Lavene »

Yeah... I know. I'm just a controlfreak. I dislike people making choices for me. But then again, I wouldn't dream of ever doing a default install ;)

Tina

plugwash

#6 Post by plugwash »

stux wrote:Will there be anything new in unstable/testing or does that continue as is :?
testing and to a lesser extent unstable are aimed at producing stable releases so thier characteristics change during the release cycle.

right now testing is partially frozen and maintainers (particularlly of core packages) are being told to be carefull what they upload to avoid disturbing the release process, when the full freeze starts this will be even more so.

after etch releases there will be a flurry of activity in testing and unstable as maintainers upload new upstream versions and see them propogate to testing without any freeze in the way.

then it will be back to buisness as usual with people working on a combination of the next set of release goals and generally maintaining/updating thier packages as the need.

amc

#7 Post by amc »

correct me if i wrong but the latest gnome is 2.16.. right?

--edit

Thanks!
Last edited by amc on 2006-12-02 10:16, edited 1 time in total.
ouim.org
eilo.org
trance.nu

using debian lenny

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#8 Post by Lavene »

amc wrote:correct me if i wrong but the latest gnome is 2.16.. right?
From Debian Weekly News (which by the way is not weekly at the moment)
GNOME 2.14 in Etch. Jordi Mallach [6]announced that the [7]Debian
GNOME team has decided to ship [8]GNOME 2.14 with the upcoming
[9]etch release. Due to several problems with the latest version 2.16
they prefer the stabilised and well tested version 2.14 to be shipped
with etch rather than an relative new GNOME 2.16 for which backports
shall be provided.

6. http://oskuro.net/blog/freesoftware/gno ... 0-06-21-45
7. http://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-gnome
8. http://www.gnome.org/
9. http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/
Tina