Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Brilliant Idea to Increase SNR

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
dtl131

Brilliant Idea to Increase SNR

#1 Post by dtl131 »

I'd like to suggest a subforum devoted to Gnome3 whining. It'll be like group therapy where people sit in a circle and cry together. BYOT(issues). The description should read: Gnome3 - we laughed, we cried, we tried gnome-fallback, we couldn't figure out why right-click didn't work.. and here we are.

dtl131

Re: Brilliant Idea to Increase SNR

#2 Post by dtl131 »

^Hey @sshole, quit whining about the gnome3 whining or you're going to get your own pathetic subforum.

vbrummond

#3 Post by vbrummond »

Eh? :|
Always on Debian Testing

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

Gutsy post!

(But there is admittedly an undeniable appeal to the idea, especially for those of us who don't use GNOME.)

Mr James

#5 Post by Mr James »

It is not that bad.
Filter out the "do I need to download all 8 or so iso files to install Debian?" and "Can I install a DE from another OS's repo in Debian Stable?" questions and you got like 3 dudes with "real issues" at any given time. Not that hard to find them. Let the people vent.

Remember: This is Debian. If you have a problem, you are either having a hardware issue or running SID. :lol:
asus S551L laptop :: debian stable :: dwm

dasein

#6 Post by dasein »

Mr James wrote:Remember: This is Debian. If you have a problem, you are either having a hardware issue or running SID. :lol:
:lol: Or you have a PICNIC/PEBKAC issue.

Though I gotta say, it seems like right this instant there are a bunch of "Latest update to Wheezy just broke my <insert name of system component here>" posts.

(Which reminds me of the old joke that starts, "Hey doc, it hurts when I do this...")

dtl131

#7 Post by dtl131 »

Mr James wrote:If you have a problem, you are either having a hardware issue or running SID. :lol:
I happen to think sid is more stable in many ways because things get fixed upstream faster than a lot of package maintainers an keep up with (and backport/patch around bugs).
Let the people vent.
I'm all for that, and I was trying to make it easier for them to find sympathetic ears (with steam shooting out of them) since these posts seem to be spread across every subforum.

dtl131

#8 Post by dtl131 »

Note: this wasn't a very serious thread, and was intended for me to vent, and maybe give others a laugh (or not).

vbrummond

#9 Post by vbrummond »

dtl131 wrote:I happen to think sid is more stable in many ways because things get fixed upstream faster than a lot of package maintainers an keep up with (and backport/patch around bugs).
Dictionary wrote:sta·ble 1
(stbl)
adj. sta·bler, sta·blest
a. Resistant to change of position or condition; not easily moved or disturbed: a house built on stable ground; a stable platform.
b. Not subject to sudden or extreme change or fluctuation: a stable economy; a stable currency.
c. Maintaining equilibrium; self-restoring: a stable aircraft.

2. Enduring or permanent: a stable peace.

a. Consistently dependable; steadfast of purpose.
b. Not subject to mental illness or irrationality: a stable personality.

4. Something that is not Arch, Fedora Rawhide, or Debian Sid.
Always on Debian Testing

dtl131

#10 Post by dtl131 »

vbrummond wrote: 3.
a. Consistently dependable; steadfast of purpose.
b. Not subject to mental illness or irrationality: a stable personality.
I was thinking along the lines of 3a, because I find sid more dependable. I also happen to think using software as outdated as the stuff in stable is irrational.

vbrummond

#11 Post by vbrummond »

dtl131 wrote:I was thinking along the lines of 3a, because I find sid more dependable.
Dependable as in you are guaranteed to have the same selection of packages every day, only security updates and bug fixes, and confidence that it will inter operate with other packages... Oh wait. You won't.
I also happen to think using software as outdated as the stuff in stable is irrational.
I fail to see how something is outdated if it works and has security support. You better not have ever in your life advocated Windows Xp over Vista then.
Always on Debian Testing

dasein

#12 Post by dasein »

vbrummond wrote:4. Something that is not Arch, Fedora Rawhide, or Debian Sid.
:lol:

You forgot "or any 'rolling release' distro" :wink:

dtl131

#13 Post by dtl131 »

vbrummond wrote:Dependable as in you are guaranteed to have the same selection of packages every day, only security updates and bug fixes, and confidence that it will inter operate with other packages... Oh wait. You won't.
I don't want the first two, and I've only had a handful of minor issues when upgrading (most of which were my fault), so oh wait.. I will (YMMV).
As for Windows, I'm not even going to dignify that with a response ;)

dasein

#14 Post by dasein »

Wait... didn't this thread start by implicitly assuming that the latest Gnome is broken??...

And now it's full of "latest must be best"??

Hmmm.....

boobdillin

#15 Post by boobdillin »

SNR on this forum...uh add in a bunch of ubuntu/mint users and....err.....nevermind.....

Mr James

#16 Post by Mr James »

Missing dependencies, RC bugs, and nVidia/AMD drivers not keeping up with Xorg releases are all "features" of Sid. How the hell is all that more dependable than Stable?

dtl131

#17 Post by dtl131 »

dasein wrote:Wait... didn't this thread start by implicitly assuming that the latest Gnome is broken??...
No. I never said anything about personally dis/liking gnome3, but only that a bunch of threads complaining about it were littering the subforums. Note that I didn't seriously expect anyone to do anything; I was just making a joke of it.
And now it's full of "latest must be best"??
I only said that for me (YMMV) and only in response to Mr. James' assertion the "debian stable never breaks and doesn't have any bugs!" I wasn't looking for opinions about stable/testing/sid (plenty of those threads too).
Troll img[/code]
Is that what you see in the mirror?

Mr James

#18 Post by Mr James »

dtl131 wrote: Mr. James' assertion the "debian stable never breaks and doesn't have any bugs!"
I never said Stable doesn't have any bugs. I said Stable does not have any mentionable RC bugs. In other words, you can depend on it. You see any production workstations running Sid?
Also, Stable is designed not to break (dependency **** ups). That part I did say.

xircon

#19 Post by xircon »

Sorry, funniest thing I have seen in a long time :D

Been using Gnome3, since it appeared, it is a sea change, but not that bad. Gnome2 is dead, get over it or get a Mate(Tee hee hee).

dtl131

#20 Post by dtl131 »

xircon wrote:Sorry, funniest thing I have seen in a long time :D
I'm glad someone has a sense of humor..
You see any production workstations running Sid?
The hell if I know what every workstation is running (and whether the issues on them have already been solved upstream) ;)