Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Recently unable to upgrade to Sid (or Testing) from Squeeze

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
khamryn

Recently unable to upgrade to Sid (or Testing) from Squeeze

#1 Post by khamryn »

Hi everyone.

I have used Debian for about 4 months now (and ubuntu for one month before), and I'm comfortable with command lines, so Im not a complete newbie to Debian. I'm recently unable to upgrade squeeze to ether testing or sid. I have done a full install several times in the past with no issues upgrading until now. Because of a unmet dependence to libglib2.0-0 on many packages. I understand it seems to be a known issue by reading some other post here. I just like to know how to resolve it at the moment.

Thanks in advance. Please do not tell me to stay on Squeeze, LOL. I'm do not need a working system, I like the challenge and learn from this.

mslinux

Re: Recently unable to upgrade to Sid (or Testing) from Sque

#2 Post by mslinux »

Changing from stable to testing then to unstable is quite straight forward.
Change to /etc/sources.list from squeeze to wheezy, then

Code: Select all

# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade
# apt-get dselect-upgrade
# apt-get dist-upgrade
Same thing needs to be done when changing from testing to sid.

When something goes wrong on the way, well, what do you expect? It's called testing and still-in-development for obvious reasons.
But since you don't mind having half-working system, just do whatever you want and try to figure things out.
MsLinux-

forums.debian.net - where facepalm is the default answer :D

© 2012
║▌║│█║▌│█│║▌║█║▌│█│║▌║│

khamryn

#3 Post by khamryn »

Thanks for the reply

I guess I should have included that on my first post.
-edit sources.list
-apt-get update
-apt-get upgrade
-apt-get dselect-upgrade
-apt-get dist-upgrade
I understand these are normal steps involved in an upgrade. I have follow these in the past installs and upgrades and have been successful. Im simply asking now because at the moment I am now getting dependence issues, have tried several different ways of upgrading and failed, and Im wondering if anyone has the same issues and if anyone has found a solution. I guess I'm just trying to understand the issues (which I assume is the introduction of new packages in testing/sid), and if anyone has been having the same problem and fixed it.

ivanovnegro

#4 Post by ivanovnegro »

So, can you post any error messages while intending to upgrade?

How is your sources list actually looking like?

khamryn

#5 Post by khamryn »

I get many packages that all depend on libglib2.0-0. Its saying "depends, but will not install". apt-get -f install doesn't help. Due the the unmet dependencies, I can not perform any further installs/upgrades or get into a desktop environment.

My sources.list to sid are:
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free

baekgaard

#6 Post by baekgaard »

I'm having the same issues here.

I first tried to upgrade (like described) and it failed and left the machine in a state without network access due to the missing libraries. Deciding it would be to slow to try to figure out what the issue was, I then I installed a "fresh" Debian Squeeze from a USB stick, formatting the disk in the process. Nothing special during the installation; I think the only deviation from the defaults were adding the SSH server to this (laptop) install.

I then tried to upgrade again to wheezy and got the same issue with an unresolved dependencies to libglib2.0. I tried also if I could upgrade directly to sid, but that was the same issue.

I have eventually given up on this process and will try now the business card netinstall, that allows you to select the repository directly -- i.e. you can install straight to wheezy (or sid?) instead of installing squeeze and then upgrade. Haven't had time to do this yet, though, but I hope that process will work; installed Linux Mint Debian Edition in the meantime (uses also the wheezy repositories, as far as I could tell) and that worked immediately, so maybe I will just end up staying there for a while...

But if you don't mind a reinstall, try the business card netinstall.

Looks like something is currently broken with the dependencies, unless you have been upgrading earlier and have the right versions, or some such.

-- Per.

mslinux

#7 Post by mslinux »

I don't currently have a squeeze to upgrade, so I can't test it.\
But maybe, somebody else has reported the issue, so try installing apt-listbugs
It will show any bugs reported against any packages we're trying to install / upgrade.
MsLinux-

forums.debian.net - where facepalm is the default answer :D

© 2012
║▌║│█║▌│█│║▌║█║▌│█│║▌║│

khamryn

#8 Post by khamryn »

Thanks for telling me your experiences.

I did read about the business card install method. I will try that out when I get back from work tonight. If that doesn't work, perhaps its time to give aptosid a shot, lol.

baekgaard

#9 Post by baekgaard »

Not so easy to get unto Wheezy or Sid, it seems...

I did a Virtualbox install and upgrade to Wheezy roughly a month ago and that went well. However, I cannot currently get any further than to Squeeze on my laptop. Linux Mint Debian Edition (as mentioned above) actually installs just fine on the same machine, but then it fails in upgrading to the latest sets of packages. And in any case, I'd rather run the vanilla Sid (or Wheezy) on that machine.

First I tried using the official/stable (Squeeze 6.0.3) businesscard installer, but that never gave me the option to choose version even in expert mode(?) and subsequently failed to install the base system, claiming it didn't find any. I made that particular USB with unetbootin, if it matters?

I then did a new boot stick by dd'ing from this media onto my stick:

http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/amd6 ... oot.img.gz

and copied this file (as is) onto the same stick:

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily ... sscard.iso

and that sort of came a bit longer in the install process, but then failed in some perl dependencies when installing the base system.

So I'm sort of a bit short of ideas at the moment.

Not sure if there is a way to get to Wheezy or Sid aside from waiting until the dependencies gets fixed somehow.

-- Per.

furtom

#10 Post by furtom »

Instead of installing stable and upgrading, why don't you just install from the testing branch?

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/

baekgaard

#11 Post by baekgaard »

furtom wrote:Instead of installing stable and upgrading, why don't you just install from the testing branch?

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/
Well, maybe I'm kind of dumb... but this was what I thought I was doing with the businesscard install (from the daily branch) and selecting the wheezy or sid releases to install from expert mode?

If I look at the iso-CD directory, there seems to be 62 of those. Would I be able to download and boot of the #1 CD with a base system? And is that better than using the businesscard (or the slightly larger net) installer that just gets the needed packages from the repositories?

-- Per.

furtom

#12 Post by furtom »

Well, I never said anyone was dumb. Maybe I misread something or scanned too quickly, If so, my bad.

I was responding to your OP, which said, "I'm recently unable to upgrade squeeze to ether testing or sid." If I'm not kinda dumb, that implies you are installing Squeeze and trying to upgrade it to testing or sid. So, I said, why not just install testing. Forgive me if this does not help you.

Are you saying the latest install CD won't install at all?

Anyway, I'd try it. Yes, you should only need CD1. Netinstall usually works, but maybe the repos are in a state of upgrading. It happens.

BTW, aptosid is a good idea if you have your heart set on sid from the beginning.

ivanovnegro

#13 Post by ivanovnegro »

As far as I know there is at the moment a Pearl transition. Could be the problem.

Anyway I recommend the business card, it has the option to install directly Testing/Sid but maybe a minimal Squeeze install would suffice, install apt-listbugs as mentioned and then try to upgrade to Testing and then later to Sid and read the damn output of apt. If you cannot upgrade just know, wait and do it later.

baekgaard

#14 Post by baekgaard »

furtom wrote:Well, I never said anyone was dumb. Maybe I misread something or scanned too quickly, If so, my bad.
No worries :-)

Just to state what may be obvious: I'm not the original poster, just have the same problems as he has.
Are you saying the latest install CD won't install at all?
Yep, could not get the businesscard ISO to install at all. I could install the original Squeeze CD via a netintall iso but failed to upgrade it. Using the businesscard ISO failed also with unresolved dependencies.
Anyway, I'd try it. Yes, you should only need CD1. Netinstall usually works, but maybe the repos are in a state of upgrading. It happens.
Actually just tried the netinstall (not businesscard) from the daily and that actually worked :-) So I'm running Wheezy now!

Not sure I dare to upgrade to Sid just yet, though... but I'll probably just go ahead and try.

Thanks for the suggestions and help!

-- Per.

baekgaard

#15 Post by baekgaard »

ivanovnegro wrote:As far as I know there is at the moment a Pearl transition. Could be the problem.
Yep, looks like at least one of the ways I tried caused all sorts of Perl havoc.
Anyway I recommend the business card, it has the option to install directly Testing/Sid but maybe a minimal Squeeze install would suffice, install apt-listbugs as mentioned and then try to upgrade to Testing and then later to Sid and read the damn output of apt. If you cannot upgrade just know, wait and do it later.
I tried the businesscard installer directly into wheezy or sid, but it failed. Mainly for dependency reasons (details can be seen in VT4 during install if you change to that terminal).

However, it turned out the pure netinstall iso from daily worked to install straight into wheezy.

So I'm kind of running now, thanks!

-- Per.

furtom

#16 Post by furtom »

baekgaard wrote: Just to state what may be obvious: I'm not the original poster, just have the same problems as he has.
Ah, well, there we go. I was responding to the OP. I suppose I should have quoted it, but since mine was a general answer, I didn't bother.

Actually just tried the netinstall (not businesscard) from the daily and that actually worked :-) So I'm running Wheezy now!

Not sure I dare to upgrade to Sid just yet, though... but I'll probably just go ahead and try.

Thanks for the suggestions and help!

-- Per.
Ah, that's what I thought would happen. Just a temporary state of flux. As much as we use testing as a distribution, is isn't, in fact, a release, and sometimes it fails to act like one. :)

I've been running testing for quite a few years on my desktop without really any problems. Occasionally, an upgrade wants to do something crazy, like uninstall all of X. I know that is a temporary bug in the dependencies and just wait a day to upgrade. Usually, things are back to normal shortly.

Glad you got it going.

bgoodr

#17 Post by bgoodr »

ivanovnegro wrote:So, can you post any error messages while intending to upgrade?

How is your sources list actually looking like?
I can answer that for my situation that looks similar, but not the OP who may have hacked around the issue by a full reinstall. In my case, I would rather not reinstall from scratch because I have data on the harddrive that I would like to preserve. Perhaps we can take up the challenge of isolating the root cause of the problem under my post at Unmet dependencies during upgrade from Stable to Testing.

Thanks,
bg