Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

A possible solution to get USB 3.0 devices to work

Need help with peripherals or devices?
gabrielh

A possible solution to get USB 3.0 devices to work

#1 Post by gabrielh »

Hi,

First sorry for any English mistake as I am French.

I use Debian 6.0 (Squeeze) amd64.

I had some problems to get my USB 3.0 external hard drive to work on my USB 3.0 express card (a Trendnet TU3-H2EC). Before, it mounted randomly, say one time on ten. If it didn't mounted after I boot, then I had no other choice than to reboot again and again until it is finally mounted.

I was a little exasperated by this behavior and searched some solutions on the web. None of them worked for me.
Firstly, here is my output of lsmod | grep xhci :

Code: Select all

xhci                   33444  0 
usbcore               122386  6 usb_storage,usbhid,uhci_hcd,ehci_hcd,xhci
Among the proposed solutions, here is what I tried :
  • added an option to the kernel line. I tried to edit the file /etc/default/grub and added the following in the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX parameter : xhci_hcd.enable=1, then xhci-hcd.enable=1, with no luck. Also tried xhci.enable=1 (sounded more logical to me as I think I don't have any xhci_hcd module) but I then got the error "xhci : unknown parameter enable" and xhci was then disabled. I guessed that this could be the path to the resolution of the problem, but I don't know which parameter this module is accepting. I didn't forget to do a update-grub after I edited this file of course.
  • created a file /etc/modprobe.d/xhci with content "options xhci enable=1" or /etc/modprobe.d/xhci_hcd with content "options xhci_hcd enable=1" but no luck with that.
  • created a file /etc/pm/config.d/unload_module or /etc/pm/config.d/xhci_hcd or /etc/pm/config.d/xhci with content "SUSPEND_MODULES=xhci_hcd" or "SUSPEND_MODULES=xhci" but still no luck except that now the "hibernate" command is shutting down my computer (not hibernate, a real shutdown).
So nothing worked so far.

I felt that xhci was loaded too late and so failed to work properly most of the time. We have to find a way to load it before the other modules.

Here is what I then tried after having restored all the files I modified :
  • append "xhci" to /etc/modules" so that it now contains the following :

firewire-sbp2
    loop
    xhci
    This should have for effect to load the module at boot time.
  • added a line "softdep ehci-hcd pre: xhci-hcd" to /etc/modprobe.d/aliases.conf before the last two lines to ensure that xhci is loaded first ; here is the last three lines of this file :

softdep ehci-hcd pre: xhci-hcd
    softdep uhci-hcd pre: ehci-hcd
    softdep ohci-hcd pre: ehci-hcd
Then rebooted. It worked ! Then rebooted again. Worked again ! Then rebooted (to ensure that is worked). Worked again ! My hard drive is now mounting properly !

So if you got the same problem, you can try my solution. It worth a try !

Hoping to help someone someday !

Regards

jbesquire77

Re: A possible solution to get USB 3.0 devices to work

#2 Post by jbesquire77 »

Seems to have worked for me, using a Samsung 1TB (S2 Portable) external hardrive.
Transfer speeds are only about 28 MB/s but it at least it mounts on my usb 3.0 ports.
Thanks!

Running: Debian 6.0.3
Kernel 2.6.32-5-amd64
System76 Gazelle