Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

(GRUB) error: symbol not found: 'grub_divmod64_full'

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
AnthonyHJ

(GRUB) error: symbol not found: 'grub_divmod64_full'

#1 Post by AnthonyHJ »

After my previous bug upgrading to Wheezy, I managed to get Debian to update the files which appeared to be broken.

After restarting, I got the message above. I have tried reinstalling GRUB and still get the error. I am not even sure what it means and Google is not amazingly useful for once.

AnthonyHJ

Re: (GRUB) error: symbol not found: 'grub_divmod64_full'

#2 Post by AnthonyHJ »

I downloaded the "Unstable" image and used the GRUB repair tool, so it's fixed now...

miklosq

#3 Post by miklosq »

Hi Anthony,

I have got exactly the same problem: Debian squeeze my system is working, when I update to Wheezy , GRUB is broken. When I reboot, I get the message at the GRUB prompt:

"error: symbol not found: 'grub_divmod64_full'."

Then it drops me to the " grub rescue> " prompt rendering my system unbootable. How did you fix it? Can you tell me more about the GRUB repair tool and where can I find it?

Thanks
Regards,
--
miklosq
"In the middle of the difficulty lies the opportunity." - Albert Einstein

kiyop
Location: Where persons without desire to improve themselves fear to tread, in Japan

#4 Post by kiyop »

I wonder if it is due to that grub2 code installed on MBR (or PBR) cannot find the correct partition which contains necessary files.
So I suggest you to install and/or configure grub2.

I hope the following links help you:
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/rescatux/
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/768716
http://sahd.lamafam.org/?tag=grub_divmod64_full

There are many other ways to install and/or configure grub2.

If you can boot debian installed in your computer, configure grub2 by

Code: Select all

su -
TYPE ROOT PASSWORD
update-grub
If it does not solve the problem, furthermore, configure deeply by

grub-mkdevicemap
dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc
Or you can manually install grub2 code on MBR of your first boot media by

grub-install /dev/sdX
X should be changed to proper one. Please read below.

If you cannot boot debian installed on your computer, you can boot live Linux CD and "chroot" to the debian installed on your computer and execute "update-grub" and so on. Otherwise, you may be able to boot debian by executing the following on "grub rescue>" prompt.

ls
to find what partitions are on your computer.
"(hd0)" or so are media like internal HDD. "(hd0)" is first media. "(hd1)" is second media.
"(hd0,1)" or so are partitions on the media. "(hd0,1)" is the first partition on the first media.
if the derectory which contains necessary files for grub2 is /boot/grub in "(hd0,5)",

set prefix="(hd0,5)/boot/grub"
set root="(hd0,5)"
insmod (hd0,5)/boot/grub/normal
normal
If you have Live Linux CD/DVD/USB which contains grub2, you can boot with it and

su -
TYPE ROOT PASSWORD
blkid
to find the device file name of the / partition (and /boot partition if it exists separately from / partition).
Mount them correctly. For example, mount / partition on /mnt (and /boot partition on /mnt/boot if /boot partition exists), and then execute the following:

grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sdX
X should be replaced with a, b, or c, ... and so on, according to the device file name of the your first boot media.
But you did not mention about any OS installed on your computer rather than debian to be booted.
Be careful. If you want to keep originial boot loader installed on MBR of your first boot media, do not execute above "grub-install ..." command.
Refer to:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ost7505203
It should be noted that the above link is for Ubuntu and you see "sudo", which is often unnecessary in debian if you get root privilege.
Openbox, JWM: Jessie, Sid, Arch / Win XP (on VirtualBox), 10
http://kiyoandkei.bbs.fc2.com/

miklosq

#5 Post by miklosq »

kiyop,

thanks very much for the detailed answer with tips and hints.
note that I did not do anything else just to upgrade from squeeze to wheezy. I did not upgrade disks, did not install / replace disks, did not change partitions. I do not have any other OS on my machine right now and only have a single hard disk, as this is a laptop. During the upgrade, the grub package is updated automatically by the dependencies, grub will become grub2 and the old grub becomes grub-legacy in a separate package. When grub2 kicks in with the newer linux kernel version (3.2.0-XXX) that is where it brakes my system. So currently, I am unable to upgrade to wheezy because this and I do not have any other Debian system now to use and cannot afford this going down :?

The root partition is correctly recognised in the grub rescue> prompt. I can do 'ls /' to list the root filesystem content. Loading linux or normal modules does not work, it spits the error message above.

I tried also to boot from a USB stick, but that also had GRUB2 and could not fix the MBR. It complained about "stage1" or something.
thanks! :)

However, I did not try with a live cd/dvd, I will have to try it again and fix it with a GRUB running from the healthy cd/dvd.
Regards,
--
miklosq
"In the middle of the difficulty lies the opportunity." - Albert Einstein

t4thfavor

#6 Post by t4thfavor »

I had this issue when upgrading from Squeeze to Wheezy, I tried a whole bunch of solutions from here, and the ubuntu forum (purge, and reinstall grub, etc)

Eventually I found this.

http://sahd.lamafam.org/?p=1866

Which basically told me to put my grub disk on the first sata controllers first port so it was now hd0. booted like a champ.

Hope it helps someone.

vcardei

#7 Post by vcardei »

Found a solution:

Tonight I experienced the very same problem. Before throwing the computer out the window, I removed the iPod that I left attached to a USB port earlier today. Sure enough, after I rebooted, everything worked just fine, so my window is still intact. lol
Hope this helps...

PS: I know it sounds the whole solution sounds a bit far off, but if you have any USB-attached drives, you might want to disconnect them and reboot.

quicky2g

#8 Post by quicky2g »

I had to boot into the Live CD recovery mode and select my drive to run a shell from. Then I ran the command "grub-install /dev/sd<#>". If you're running a shell from a different drive, have a look at part 2 of this tutorial for the necessary mount statements:

http://ubuntuguide.net/how-to-restore-g ... pvistawin7

kujirasan

#9 Post by kujirasan »

I have down three downloads and three burns getting same error with grub!
Guess have to wait for another release ! 7.03!