Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Not understanding why I am getting "Permission denied"

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Phalanxer

Not understanding why I am getting "Permission denied"

#1 Post by Phalanxer »

I tried to run an executable program as root and was returned "Permission denied" without being given any reason. I tried searching the Help manual for "Permission denied" but it didn't find anything. Could someone please shed some light why I am am being denied the right to execute a program?

gomanutd

Re: Not understanding why I am getting "Permission denied"

#2 Post by gomanutd »

look up the command chmod. just cause you're root, doesn't mean you can do everything...
Something witty goes here...

Phalanxer

#3 Post by Phalanxer »

I looked in the manual for "chmod", but couldn't understanding any of it. What was the reason you wanted me to look in the manual at "chmod"?

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#4 Post by 4D696B65 »

Phalanxer wrote:I looked in the manual for "chmod", but couldn't understanding any of it. What was the reason you wanted me to look in the manual at "chmod"?
Because it deals with permissions.

dasein

#5 Post by dasein »

Phalanxer wrote:I looked in the manual for "chmod", but couldn't understanding any of it.
Then it's time to learn about file permissions.

Look here: http://www.google.com/search?q=execute+permission+linux

Phalanxer

#6 Post by Phalanxer »

Ok, well I understand what the concept of file permissions are and I did find that page pretty confusing, but I still don't understand why Debian won't let me run my program. All I want to do is run a program. I don't understand why it won't let me.

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#7 Post by 4D696B65 »

Maybe if you told us what program is giving you trouble we could be of more help.

Phalanxer

#8 Post by Phalanxer »

Its a program called "autorun.sh". Its apart of the VirtualBox application.

aicardi

#9 Post by aicardi »

Jessie/Xfce

Phalanxer

#10 Post by Phalanxer »

Thanks for all your help guys, its much appreciated, really!

I've decided that Debian 6 is not for me. Nothing seems to just work and allot of things seem to be missing. I have spent my whole afternoon working with it and all I have been able to do is use a web browser on it. Things shouldn't have to be this difficult.

Merry Christmas to you all!

gomanutd

#11 Post by gomanutd »

well that was quick... if you'd invest more time in learning, what is obviously to you, a new OS, you'd find debian an excellent choice.

did you really think that you weren't going to run into issues with an OS that you obviously haven't used before? anytime you make a big change you'll always have difficulties. i don't care if it's going from windows to mac os, there will ALWAYS be a learning curve.
Something witty goes here...

Phalanxer

#12 Post by Phalanxer »

I am not giving up on Linux, I just find the Debian distribution is not suitable for me.

I'm a young person, I have a job and I study full time, I have a girl friend and allot of friends. I don't have time to sit here to fix far fetched problems.

I wanted to change my network settings before in Debian, and to do so I needed to edit a text file. This seems really bizzare to me.
Common things that should be obvious, arn't.

I also just wanted to install some software off a CD, but all I got was "Permission denied" without any explanation.
I shouldn't have to consult documentation every time I want to do something.

My choice for using Linux doesn't have anything to do with 'freedom software'. It has all to do with finding a more productive operating system than Windows, and one that is open source.

Whilst Debian open source, I am finding it a nightmare to deal with, which means its not at all productive for me. Things don't just seem to work like they do with Windows and other distributions of Linux I have tried out.

dasein

#13 Post by dasein »

I think the OP is right. He's probably not suited to Linux. Linux gives its users an unparalleled level of freedom, but it demands a level of engagement that exceeds Windows and OS X. Anyone who proclaims himself unwilling to consult documentation isn't going to last long.

vbrummond

#14 Post by vbrummond »

I have a girl friend and allot of friends.
Its a wonder you have so much free time! You are obviously a troll.
I wanted to change my network settings before in Debian, and to do so I needed to edit a text file. This seems really bizzare to me.
Its called UNIX. Everything is in a text file.
Common things that should be obvious, arn't.
Yeah, ask me how to connect to the net on Windows Xp... Uhh... control panel? In other words who knows. I would have to google it. And hope it has drivers to connect to the net to google it. Which it won't.
I also just wanted to install some software off a CD, but all I got was "Permission denied" without any explanation.
You don't install software off of a cd on Debian unless it is a Debian cd.
I shouldn't have to consult documentation every time I want to do something.
Because learning is too hard for people with a girlfriend and all kinds of friends. How did you find this place?
My choice for using Linux doesn't have anything to do with 'freedom software'. It has all to do with finding a more productive operating system than Windows, and one that is open source.
Open source, ya know, freedom software. Go Knicks!
Whilst Debian open source, I am finding it a nightmare to deal with, which means its not at all productive for me.
Understandable. Whilst not difficult Debian does require reading... sometimes.
Things don't just seem to work like they do with Windows
Debian is about as Windows as wine coolers get me drunk.
and other distributions of Linux I have tried out.
Well most distributions are based on Debian. I for one have tried probably over 30 distributions and they almost all work like Debian. Except Red Hat with their insane uid being 500 by default.

Hope you find what works.
Last edited by vbrummond on 2011-12-17 03:17, edited 1 time in total.
Always on Debian Testing

Phalanxer

#15 Post by Phalanxer »

Documentation? What documentation? There is nothing in the Help manual on configuring a network.

I would have to disagree with your statement about Debian giving me more freedom. Denying me permission to install an application I want installed is hardly freedom, is it.

You seem to have misunderstood me when I said Debian isn't for me, I did not mean I was giving up on Linux... I just feel the Debian distrobution is for people with more time on there hands.. and I don't have time to consult a manual every time I want to do something. I've tried out a distrubtion of Linux called Ubuntu and Mint. They seem pretty cool and tend to just work so I am going to check out these some more.
If you haven't checked them out I recommend you do. There really cool.

Anyway, I have to go and have a shower and get ready to go out. Take care all.

dasein

#16 Post by dasein »

Phalanxer wrote:I've tried out a distrubtion of Linux called Ubuntu and Mint. They seem pretty cool and tend to just work so I am going to check out these some more.
Yeah, because with those distros, you don't have to know anything about file permissions <-- (sarcasm)
Phalanxer wrote:If you haven't checked them out I recommend you do. There really cool.
I am honest-to-gawd laughing aloud. If he only knew what he was saying. :lol:

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#17 Post by 4D696B65 »

Phalanxer wrote:Documentation? What documentation? There is nothing in the Help manual on configuring a network.
Really?
http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration

vbrummond

#18 Post by vbrummond »

Have fun goin out. :D
Last edited by vbrummond on 2011-12-17 04:23, edited 1 time in total.
Always on Debian Testing

golinux

#19 Post by golinux »

Phalanxer wrote:I've tried out a distrubtion of Linux called Ubuntu and Mint. They seem pretty cool and tend to just work so I am going to check out these some more. If you haven't checked them out I recommend you do. There really cool.
And both those distros are based on Debian code. How could you not know that! You think they are cool because they spoon-feed the uninitiated transitioning from Winblows. But Debian is for those who have outgrown the fanboi hype of Ubuntu and Mint. Maybe someday you'll come back to the mothership too!
May the FORK be with you!

Phalanxer

#20 Post by Phalanxer »

As for the idiot vbrummond calling me a troll. Your a fuckin dumb crap. I have an opinion that something is FUCKIN crap and I am a troll? You obviously lack social experience to behave like this. What a social failure you are.
For "everything in a text file". Your obviously stuck in some crap era of computing and haven't been introduced to a GUI. Who the hell wants to dig into text files. I know I sure don't.
You install off Debian CD's only? Says who? What type of a retard only installs off there "operating system" CD? What is wrong with you?
Also, its not Debian is too hard, its that time is money, and I am not some womanless failure that has more time on hand to care.
Debian requires reading some times? All I wanted to do was configure my network and install something off a CD. I shouldn't have to read anything, it should be bloody obvious. I found out that network-manager is missing from Debian. Real dumb crap developers that are totally clueless on how to make an operating system "lets remove network-manager and edit by text files, because it makes me feel more superior".
Most distributions are based on Debian? Well, the two I know off hand according to wiki that has a user base over 3 people are Ubuntu and Mint.
... and these two totally piss all over Debian in terms of popularity. Do you think this is because Debian is harder? If you do, then you've got rocks in your head. Those who think Ubuntu sucks over Debian needs to see a psychologist and probably re-evaluate their life. Ubuntu is better than Debian in every way, hence why its so damn popular.

For the loser golinux that said Debian code is the base for Ubuntu and Mint and "I should know that!". LMFAO you seriously, seriously need to explore life outside of this forum.

Allot of people on here seem to be out of touch and appear to be having some mid-life crisis hanging onto 1970's terminal concept.
GUI's were created to make life easy. If you insist on working with text files when its really much easier to do it a modern way, I suggest you re-evaluate your life.

As for "one day returning to mothership". Don't make me laugh! Debian sucks hard. People don't folk Debian because its great, they folk it because it sucks and they want to actually make it useful.

I've said what I wanted. Theres nothing more here for me.