Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Squeeze - No Network Connection

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
qkzoo

Debian Squeeze - No Network Connection

#1 Post by qkzoo »

I'm coming from Ubuntu, where network support for this netbook, an HP Mini 110-3015DX is fine. When I tried installing Debian Squeeze Stable 6.0.3, my network card was detected, at least it told me that my card is a Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01), but it says something about unable to establish a DHCP connection. I'm really confused at this point as to what i'm supposed to do.

I read something that said I should install wireless-tools via "aptitude install wireless-tools" which didn't work. Wouldn't I need a network connection to do this? What a vicious circle, please help point me towards the light!

Thanks,

Q
I took it apart, I never said I could put it back together!

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Debian Squeeze - No Network Connection

#2 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

http://wiki.debian.org/ath9k

If the installer detected it, wireless-tools should have been installed already.

Check with

Code: Select all

apt-cache policy wireless-tools
Presumably you are using Gnome desktop?

You may just need to configure Network Manager (via the icon in the systray)

Also see http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

qkzoo

#3 Post by qkzoo »

My bad, I'm using Debian i386 with the LXDE desktop. There is no icon on the desktop in LXDE for network management, I'm assuming because it failed to detect the network while it was installing.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Ok, the HowToUse link has multiple other options, WICD might be most suitable.

Yes you will need a conection to download it.

Either connect via ethernet, or download the package on another machine and transfer via sneakernet, then install manually with dpkg -i <pkgname>

qkzoo

#5 Post by qkzoo »

This is probably a really stupid question, but what is sneakernet? I downloaded wicd-1.7.0.tar.bz2, but I'm not sure how to install it now... I tried dpkg -i wicd-1.7.0.tar.bz2 but that didn't work.

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#6 Post by 4D696B65 »

qkzoo wrote:This is probably a really stupid question, but what is sneakernet?
Running shoes, put the file on cd/usb and walk it over to a different pc.
qkzoo wrote: I downloaded wicd-1.7.0.tar.bz2, but I'm not sure how to install it now... I tried dpkg -i wicd-1.7.0.tar.bz2 but that didn't work.
You need the .deb file for dpkg.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

qkzoo wrote:what is sneakernet?
:lol:
A method of data transfer that involves putting data on a removable medium (originally floppy disk, now USB stick) and walking it to the other computer.

Bulkley

#8 Post by Bulkley »

qkzoo wrote:This is probably a really stupid question, but what is sneakernet? I downloaded wicd-1.7.0.tar.bz2, but I'm not sure how to install it now... I tried dpkg -i wicd-1.7.0.tar.bz2 but that didn't work.
In Debian just do

aptitude install wicd
Since you are new to Debian, install Synaptic which is a graphic package manager.

You may need the firmware for your wireless card which are in the non-free directories. Debian keeps the proprietary bits separate from the main packages. It's a bit confusing.

qkzoo

#9 Post by qkzoo »

aptitude won't work without a network connection, hence the problem.

Ok, I downloaded wicd on another machine, specifically, the highest version .deb I could find on the website:

root@andrew-netbook:/home/andrew/Desktop/New# dpkg -i wicd_1.5.0-rc2_all.deb
(Reading database ... 71228 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace wicd 1.5.0-rc2 (using wicd_1.5.0-rc2_all.deb) ... <-- I ran it again just to show you the error
Unpacking replacement wicd ...
Setting up wicd (1.5.0-rc2) ...
Stopping Network connection manager: wicd.
/usr/sbin/update-rc.d
update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing
/usr/sbin/update-rc.d
update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing
Starting Network connection manager: wicd failed!   <-- the error
root@andrew-netbook:/home/andrew/Desktop/New# 
Is it because I don't have the version 1.7? I couldn't find the place to download it on their site...

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Don't get it from "their" site, get it from debian.

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/wicd

The manual download link is at the bottom.

You will also want wicd-daemon, wicd-gtk (the gui client app) and any of their other listed dependencies that you don't already have installed.

Get rid of what you installed first with

aptitude purge wicd
Put all of the downloaded .deb file in a dir & do

dpkg -i *.deb

qkzoo

#11 Post by qkzoo »

Ok, almost there I think, I really appreciate all your help!

I installed the wicd packages. I set wireless interface to wlan0. I rebooted and refreshed the wicd panel and presto, it now sees my networks. Now, however, whenever I try to connect to my network it fails. The first error I kept getting was wicd kept telling me I couldn't connect because my passphrase was wrong. I checked and rechecked this a dozen times and I had everything correct. Next, I just went and set my network up so that it was open, with no encryption at all. Now, it just says:

Diamond: Obtaining IP address...
But never connects, eventually failing. Now what?

Q

qkzoo

#12 Post by qkzoo »

Help?

qkzoo

#13 Post by qkzoo »

Ok, I did a fresh install over at a friends house, where I could plug the netbook directly into his network. After this, the network was detected during install, and everything went pretty smooth. After the install finished up, I disconnected the network cable and rebooted to see if it would find the wireless networks. However, it didn't. I plugged the network cable back in, and installed the 'network-manager-gnome' package and that seemed to do the trick.

My question is, are the network-manager-gnome packages even on the LXDE (Debian Squeeze Stable) cd? How would I install this with out having to manually install a crapload of dependencies? I tried it that way, and finally gave up. This wouldn't be a problem if we actually had internet here at home. What I use for active internet at home is a mobile phone setup as a wifi hotspot. Therefore, whenever I do a fresh install, and would like wifi installed I have to go somewhere to physically plug my computer into a network first?

There must be another solution, but I do have this working that way right now, I would just like somebody to tell me I'm an idiot and that the network manager files are on the cd, you just have to ___________________________ to install them (please fill in the blank)!

Q

dotlj

#14 Post by dotlj »

qkzoo wrote:Ok, I did a fresh install over at a friends house, where I could plug the netbook directly into his network. After this, the network was detected during install, and everything went pretty smooth. After the install finished up, I disconnected the network cable and rebooted to see if it would find the wireless networks. However, it didn't. I plugged the network cable back in, and installed the 'network-manager-gnome' package and that seemed to do the trick.

My question is, are the network-manager-gnome packages even on the LXDE (Debian Squeeze Stable) cd? How would I install this with out having to manually install a crapload of dependencies? I tried it that way, and finally gave up. This wouldn't be a problem if we actually had internet here at home. What I use for active internet at home is a mobile phone setup as a wifi hotspot. Therefore, whenever I do a fresh install, and would like wifi installed I have to go somewhere to physically plug my computer into a network first?

There must be another solution, but I do have this working that way right now, I would just like somebody to tell me I'm an idiot and that the network manager files are on the cd, you just have to ___________________________ to install them (please fill in the blank)!

Q
Debian uses "Free" software, but allows the proprietary software that some hardware requires to function correctly. Some distros come with "non Free" for the more common hardware. To install Debian, you can check your hardware before installing, then download any drivers needed by hardware that doesn't have open source drivers. During the installation, when your network card is detected, you have the option to plug in a CD or USB device with the non free drivers; your choice.

I'm not certain about LXDE packages since I use mostly KDE, however you can easily check the contents of any Debian CD - all published openly for all to see.

How often do you want to do a fresh install? Even if you do, know what non free drivers you need, keep them on a USB flash disk, plug it in when asked for the drivers. Simple. There is another CD disk image you can download with the non free drivers in case you change hardware frequently.

qkzoo

#15 Post by qkzoo »

The only problem I see with that is the dependency hell I'd be in.