Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

empathy IM notification in gnome 3 not working!

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
amiragha

empathy IM notification in gnome 3 not working!

#1 Post by amiragha »

I'm using Debian testing(Wheezy) and gnome 3 (3.2.1) but i seems that there is problems in the interaction of gnome3 with empathy.
  1. I cannot start (access) empathy from my name(I don't know what it's called :) ) in the panel.
  2. I can only see Available and Busy(which are working) under my name in the panel but no Offline or ...
  3. There is no notifications (but just the sound)
I've googled it a lot and I've noticed that others have experienced problems like this. There is also a topic in this forum http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=73717 that mentions a bug related to this.

My questions are:
  • Are there others who are experiencing the same problem right now?
  • Does anyone know when this is going to be fixed?
  • Have anyone found any way to put up with this irritating bug!?

jongkind

Re: empathy IM notification in gnome 3 not working!

#2 Post by jongkind »

I've the same issue. As fall-back I use Pidgin.

secipolla

#3 Post by secipolla »

Hi guys, I admit I didn't check if these issues were already reported as bugs but if you have time then you could use reportbug to report them (after all Debian 'testing' is for that). It's simple and quite quick.

amiragha

#4 Post by amiragha »

I've the same issue. As fall-back I use Pidgin.
Do you have gnome3-notifications with Pidgin? if yes then I'll use it too
Hi guys, I admit I didn't check if these issues were already reported as bugs but if you have time then you could use reportbug to report them (after all Debian 'testing' is for that). It's simple and quite quick.
actually I don't know how to report a bug :D and I always thought of that as a very complicated task (something for developers only).

secipolla

#5 Post by secipolla »

http://wiki.debian.org/BugReport
The most important thing is before reporting a bug, try to find out if it just isn't some misconfiguration that you did yourself.
Like you did by asking here or you could ask in mailing lists too ( http://lists.debian.org ).
http://wiki.debian.org/reportbug
Then you use reportbug to report it.
Here, it's important to check if the bug wasn't reported already.
Unfortunately, some maintainers also almost never close bugs so the list for some packages are filled with duplicates, already fixed bugs etc. But that's a problem for them to deal with, you just do your best.
Reportbug's graphical interface used to crash quite often (maybe the wheezy version is better) but you can use the text interface which doesn't fail (it's not complicated).
If you have a gmail account, set it up in reportbug like it's said in the wiki as it works better than the default server (I think other webmail servers could be used similarly).
Last, after the bug is reported, you receive a confirmation in your email. You won't be automatically subscribed to the report (so if someone posts something and doesn't include your email address you won't see). To subscribe to it, just click on the link of the bug page you will receive and then at the bug page click on 'subscribe'.

amiragha

#6 Post by amiragha »

thanks, and I;ll do my best not to make duplcates

jongkind

#7 Post by jongkind »

There is a bug report here: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=650419 Not sure whether this is the same as your problem.

amiragha

#8 Post by amiragha »

yeah thanks that's the bug.
It seems that it's going to be fixed by the next version of gnome shell.

secipolla

#9 Post by secipolla »

I don't know when gnome-shell 3.2 will come to wheezy but it's in sid's repository.
I suppose that if you temporarily enable the unstable repository , run 'apt-get update' and install it with

Code: Select all

apt-get install -t unstable gnome-shell
then disable the unstable repository and run 'apt-get update ' again, you would have no extra problems. And maybe Empathy would work again.

amiragha

#10 Post by amiragha »

I upgraded the shell to the unstable version 3.2.1 and the problem is gone!
thanks everyone

ZACHARiAS

#11 Post by ZACHARiAS »

i have a simmilar problem.
i cant get notifications with pidgin. sadly... )=