Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

(Solved)How can I remove a menu item in lxde?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
mystika1

(Solved)How can I remove a menu item in lxde?

#1 Post by mystika1 »

Hi,
I am currently searching for a solution and can't seem to find it. I installed Boxee from a .deb and after trying it out decided to remove it via dpkg -r. The program un installed but left behind an entry in the menu under "sound and video." I am using lxde and can't figure out how to remove the entry. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Penny
Last edited by mystika1 on 2012-01-25 23:11, edited 1 time in total.

dasein

Re: How can I remove a menu item in lxde?

#2 Post by dasein »

Hmmm....

I wonder what would happen if someone went to Google
and typed in: How can I remove a menu item in lxde?

(Ohhhhh... That's what happens!) :cool:

mystika1

#3 Post by mystika1 »

dasein wrote:Hmmm....

I wonder what would happen if someone went to Google
and typed in: How can I remove a menu item in lxde?

(Ohhhhh... That's what happens!) :cool:
I happen to have searched this already and the only thing that came up was to install lxmed which is a menu editor. I did that and the item that I am trying to remove is not listed in the editor. I can provide proof that I did indeed search:

http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=8 ... 074#p37074

and

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LX ... nu_Editing

The item that i am trying to remove is not listed in usr/share/applications otherwise I would not have posted my question here.

Thanks,

Penny

zalew

#4 Post by zalew »

try Alacarte

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Have a look inside the Boxee .deb to see where it puts it, or ask their devs, or use find or locate to find it.

FWIW this sort of thing is one reason not to use software from outside the repo's.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

mystika1

#6 Post by mystika1 »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:
FWIW this sort of thing is one reason not to use software from outside the repo's.
Yes...I won't be installing from outside of the repos anymore. You live and learn. :oops: I have moved on to trying out xbmc instead.

Thanks,

Penny

mystika1

#7 Post by mystika1 »

zalew wrote:try Alacarte
Thanks,
This worked much better than lxmed.

Penny

secipolla

Re: (Solved)How can I remove a menu item in lxde?

#8 Post by secipolla »

The .desktop (menu) files are either in /usr/share/applications or /usr/local/share/applications (there are some in ~/.local/share/applications too but I don't think that boxee installed it there).

mystika1

#9 Post by mystika1 »

I checked the first two places with no luck. I will try the last one when the kids go to bed. I want to thank you all again for the help. I spent a long time today searching for an answer on my own. When my head felt like it was splitting in two I decided to ask here. I dont like to ask unless I am at the end of my rope because I know it upsets people here.

Thanks again

Thorny

#10 Post by Thorny »

mystika1 wrote:...I spent a long time today searching for an answer on my own. When my head felt like it was splitting in two I decided to ask here. I dont like to ask unless I am at the end of my rope because I know it upsets people here.
It's pretty easy to not upset the only poster who was trying to make a point to you. If you had included in your first post for help what you did in reply to him I'd be willing to bet that help would have been offered and it very likely would have been useful help. It's a good idea to include as much information as possible not only about your problem but also what you have tried before posting. It takes more time to make your post but it can often be valuable troubleshooting data and/or allow someone trying to help you to avoid suggesting things that have already been tried, which uses everyone's time more efficiently and effectively.

Really, almost all of us here want to try and help you and don't want you to get a headache or end up at the end of your rope frustrated because that usually makes it harder to help. Don't be reluctant to ask. Don't be reluctant to ask even if on occasion you receive an answer that you don't think is polite, most of the members here are human and humans sometimes have frustrations of their own, especially ones who spend a lot of their time answering posts for inexperienced users. The bottom line is take what you need from the thread and try to read between the lines and not feel insulted unless someone is streaming invectives at you (which also might happen on occasion but not from most regular posters).

secipolla

#11 Post by secipolla »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:Have a look inside the Boxee .deb to see where it puts it.
This would be the easiest way (just open the .deb with an archive manager).

dasein

#12 Post by dasein »

mystika1 wrote:...the only thing that came up was to install lxmed

(emphasis added)
:shock:

A cynical observer might imagine that this an extraordinarily unlikely claim.

Easy enough to check...

Typing lxmed in Google returns roughly 10,000 hits.

Typing How can I remove a menu item in lxde? into Google returns over 1 million hits.

Hit #4 of that >1 million points to an Arch Forum page that gives detailed instructions on manually editing the menu file, including and in particular the correct use of the NoDisplay syntax.

Total time to acquire answer: less than 5 minutes.

mystika1

#13 Post by mystika1 »

dasein wrote:
mystika1 wrote:...the only thing that came up was to install lxmed

(emphasis added)
:shock:

A cynical observer might imagine that this an extraordinarily unlikely claim.

Easy enough to check...

Typing lxmed in Google returns roughly 10,000 hits.

Typing How can I remove a menu item in lxde? into Google returns over 1 million hits.

Hit #4 of that >1 million points to an Arch Forum page that gives detailed instructions on manually editing the menu file, including and in particular the correct use of the NoDisplay syntax.

Total time to acquire answer: less than 5 minutes.

First, several of the "hits" pointed towards lxmed or usr/share/applications which did not help. Also..since I am using lxde it just made sense to look to the lxde forum to search there. That also produced lxmed . I should have just posted my question there.
Secondly, I also linked above to the arch wiki. I read it. The "nodisplay" would have worked if boxee would have been listed in my applications. As I indicated above...it is not. I came here as a last resort. I am no expert..that is why I posted.

I should have stated all of the above in my original post. I am truly sorry for causing problems. By the time I decided to post the thread I was in a hurry to leave. I should have included more detail.

Yes..google searches can produce 1 million results but after the first few pages the results are pretty much watered down and irrelevant. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I have already marked the thread as solved. :)

Thanks,

Penny