Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[FIXED]CUPS not working and is crashing Iceweasel

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
ramack

[FIXED]CUPS not working and is crashing Iceweasel

#1 Post by ramack »

Several CUPS related packages were upgrade a couple days ago and am now having serious problems with CUPS on my AMD64 Sid box. When I print a test page in CUPS (localhost:631) to my HP 5L printer, I receive the error: "PDF file is damaged - attempting to reconstruct xref table...". When I print a page from Iceweasel, (ctrl+P) Iceweasel crashes. From any other application when trying to print, nothing happens. Changing the print driver from Gutenprint to Foomatic has no effect.

I've purged and installed CUPS, without any effect. I'm going to look through the logs to see if I can find anything relevant.
Last edited by ramack on 2012-03-16 03:15, edited 1 time in total.
homemade AMD64, Acer AspireOne 150, Asus eeePC 900, i386; Testing
i386,Dell Vostro 1000 AMD64, Dell Inspiron 1100; Sid
XFCE on all.

ramack

Re: CUPS not working and is crashing Iceweasel

#2 Post by ramack »

After printing a test page from the CUPS admin page, localhost:631.

/var/log/cups/error_log

Code: Select all

[04/Feb/2012:18:09:15 -0700] [Job 11] PDF file is damaged - attempting to reconstruct xref table...
I'm not printing a cups-pdf test page, why the PDF error?
XFCE on all.

ramack

#3 Post by ramack »

I needed the printer, and restored an image that I made a couple days ago. So the CUPS and the HP 5L is now working. Running apt-get update and dist-upgrade results in

ramack@debian64:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  cups-filters libatk-wrapper-java libatk-wrapper-java-jni libcupsfilters1 libglee0d1 libmozjs10d ttf-unifont unifont
  xfonts-unifont xulrunner-10.0 yudit yudit-common
The following packages will be upgraded:
  accountsservice cdrskin cifs-utils colord cron cups cups-bsd cups-client cups-common cups-ppdc debianutils feh
  gir1.2-clutter-1.0 git git-man glibc-doc gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gutenprint-locales icedtea-6-jre-cacao icedtea-6-jre-jamvm
  iceweasel initscripts iso-codes less libaccountsservice0 libalglib-2.6.0 libaudio2 libaudit0 libbluetooth3 libburn4
  libc-bin libc-dev-bin libc6 libc6-dev libc6-dev-i386 libc6-i386 libclutter-1.0-0 libclutter-1.0-common libcolord1
  libconfig-autoconf-perl libcups2 libcups2-dev libcupscgi1 libcupsdriver1 libcupsimage2 libcupsmime1 libcupsppdc1
  libdirac-decoder0 libdirac-encoder0 libgail18 libgjs0b libgpg-error-dev libgpg-error0 libgpod-common libgpod4 libgtk2.0-0
  libgtk2.0-bin libgtk2.0-common libgutenprint2 libhdf5-7 libisoburn1 libisofs6 libjs-mootools libjs-underscore
  libnm-gtk-common libnm-gtk0 libnuma1 libopencv-core2.3 libopencv-imgproc2.3 libpam-winbind libproxy0 libqtexengine1
  libsdl-ttf2.0-0 libslang2 libsmbclient libvcdinfo0 libwbclient0 libwebp2 libweed0 libxerces2-java libxerces2-java-gcj
  linux-headers-2.6-amd64 linux-headers-3.2.0-1-amd64 linux-headers-3.2.0-1-common linux-headers-amd64
  linux-image-3.2.0-1-amd64 linux-image-amd64 linux-libc-dev linux-source linux-source-3.2 lives lives-data locales mencoder
  mplayer mplayer-doc multiarch-support openjdk-6-jre openjdk-6-jre-headless openjdk-6-jre-lib printer-driver-gutenprint
  printer-driver-pnm2ppa printer-driver-splix python-gst0.10 python-mako python-numpy python-software-properties python-wicd
  quilt samba samba-common samba-common-bin smbclient smbfs software-properties-gtk sudo sysv-rc sysvinit sysvinit-utils
  vcdimager wicd wicd-daemon wicd-gtk winbind xkb-data xorriso xpdf
127 upgraded, 12 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 296 MB of archives.
After this operation, 67.8 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.
Short of upgrading each printer related package one at a time, is there a better way of finding which package is causing the problem? At this point I am not going to proceed with the dist-upgrade until I have more time to debug, probably not until next weekend.
XFCE on all.

ramack

#4 Post by ramack »

I spent some time this morning and have it narrowed down to the packages below. I've installed many packages without breaking CUPS and the packages below I have yet to install.

cups-filters libcupsfilters1
  cups cups-bsd cups-client cups-common cups-ppdc glibc-doc gutenprint-locales libcups2 libcups2-dev libcupscgi1
  libcupsdriver1 libcupsimage2 libcupsmime1 libcupsppdc1 libdirac-decoder0 libdirac-encoder0 libgail18 libgjs0b
  libgpg-error-dev libgpg-error0 libgpod-common libgpod4 libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-bin libgtk2.0-common libgutenprint2 libhdf5-7
  libjs-mootools libjs-underscore libnm-gtk-common libnm-gtk0 libnuma1 libopencv-core2.3 libopencv-imgproc2.3 libproxy0
  libqtexengine1 libsdl-ttf2.0-0 libslang2 libsmbclient libvcdinfo0 libwebp2 libx264-120 libxerces2-java libxerces2-java-gcj
  printer-driver-gutenprint printer-driver-pnm2ppa printer-driver-splix
XFCE on all.

ramack

#5 Post by ramack »

I have it narrowed down to:
cups-filters libcupsfilters1 cups

There is a bug report for cups-filters, but the situation isn't the same as what I'm seeing. I'm assuming that no one else is having print issues with Sid?
XFCE on all.

jheaton5

#6 Post by jheaton5 »

I have the same problem. It started about 2 days ago. I have concluded that it is an Iceweasel issue not a cups issue. I can print from all other software except Iceweasel.
debian sid

ramack

#7 Post by ramack »

jheaton5 wrote:I have the same problem. It started about 2 days ago. I have concluded that it is an Iceweasel issue not a cups issue. I can print from all other software except Iceweasel.
Which Debian are you using? Stable, Testing or Sid?

Iceweasel is crashing on my Sid box, other software just prints blank pages. I think it's actually a combination of CUPS and maybe related libraries or drivers. I thought I had it narrowed down to the three packages, but I think it's actually more. Those that I mentioned in my previous post only cause the test page printing to fail, something else is making Iceweasel crash everytime I try to print to PDF or physical printer.
XFCE on all.

jheaton5

#8 Post by jheaton5 »

ramack wrote:
jheaton5 wrote:I have the same problem. It started about 2 days ago. I have concluded that it is an Iceweasel issue not a cups issue. I can print from all other software except Iceweasel.
Which Debian are you using? Stable, Testing or Sid?

Iceweasel is crashing on my Sid box, other software just prints blank pages. I think it's actually a combination of CUPS and maybe related libraries or drivers. I thought I had it narrowed down to the three packages, but I think it's actually more. Those that I mentioned in my previous post only cause the test page printing to fail, something else is making Iceweasel crash everytime I try to print to PDF or physical printer.
Sid
debian sid

ramack

#9 Post by ramack »

I have been selectively upgrading (apt-get install package) and have not upgraded anything cups or printer related.

$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
  cups-filters
  cups cups-bsd cups-client cups-common cups-ppdc ghostscript-cups
  gutenprint-locales libcups2 libcups2-dev libcupscgi1 libcupsdriver1
  libcupsimage2 libcupsmime1 libcupsppdc1 printer-driver-gutenprint
  printer-driver-pnm2ppa printer-driver-splix
17 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 7,426 kB of archives.
After this operation, 199 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.
Anyone made any progress on debugging?
XFCE on all.

ramack

#10 Post by ramack »

Hey Joel,

Are you still having problems? I have not been upgrading anything cups or printer related in order to keep my printer working. When I do, CUPS breaks. The only way I have found to get my system working again is to use Clonezilla to duplicate the last working image of my HD.

Rich
XFCE on all.

ramack

Re: [FIXED]CUPS not working and is crashing Iceweasel

#11 Post by ramack »

I created an image of my HD and ran the full Sid dist-upgrade. Then rebooted and printed several items to test it. Not sure what the issue was, but it's not an issue now....

Rich
XFCE on all.

bodiless

#12 Post by bodiless »

Hi ramack,

did you revert to your old setup or did you stay with sid?

I am having the same problem with debian testing. Following your advice, I thought I will upgrade just cups from sid as I don't want to go full sid. It updated also a few other packages such as libgnutls26 and cups-client. Nevertheless, this didn't work for me because after the update http://localhost:631/ couldn't find the printer when I was trying to add him as a new printer (my printer is a HP Laserjet 1200 byt the way, if this matters at all).

Didn't know what to do next and reverted cups to the previous state. The printer can be added again but no printing. I am getting the following error messages:

W [16/Mar/2012:17:49:53 +0200] failed to CreateDevice: org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExists:device id 'cups-HP_LaserJet_1200' already exists
E [16/Mar/2012:17:50:18 +0200] [Job 1] PDF file is damaged - attempting to reconstruct xref table...
E [16/Mar/2012:17:56:11 +0200] [Job 1] Stopping unresponsive job!

ramack

#13 Post by ramack »

Hey,

The AMD64 box is still running Sid and I didn't restore the image from the previous day. I updated and accepted every package for the dist-upgrade, then rebooted and printed without any problems.

Last week at work, my Testing box showed the same packages to be installed that had been creating problems in my Sid box, and had been holding back everything cups/print related. This morning, since my printing issue in Sid had gone away, I accepted all packages for the dist-upgrade and rebooted. Initially, I couldn't print on the Testing box, so out of frustration, I shut of the Testing box and walked away to do something else. When I came back to my desk, I powered it back up, I was able to print.

Sorry I can't really provide you with anything useful. One thing that I remember reading in posts from 2007-2009, the authors were able to print after removing cups and print drivers and reinstalling them. I had tried that before, but that didn't help.

Rich
XFCE on all.

bodiless

#14 Post by bodiless »

Finally I managed to get it working. I repeated the install of cups from sid and this time instead of just restarting cups I rebooted. After reboot I could add the printer and print.

Strangely enough, I used to use the CUPS_Gutenberg driver but this time it would take ages to print one page. But when I changed the driver to hpijs_pcl3 its working fast and nicely again.

Thanks anyway