Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Remote management problem

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
stanb42

Remote management problem

#1 Post by stanb42 »

I have two lenny systems that have been working great. One is my "workstation" and the other is my "server". Whenever I need to perform maintenance on the server, I generally invoke Xephyr on the workstation into the server and flawlessly run Upgrade Manager, etc., by providing the root password on the gui of the server. I recently installed a third system that I wish to use as a "mirror" for the server. I thought I have configured everything properly as I can do 99% of all operations that I need to (mount/read/write to the drives of the mirror etc) from my workstation. Xephyr works fine with a user account on the mirror. However, when I try to run upgrade manager, I get the prompt for the root password, but then the program exits with no error. I can ssh remotely into the mirror's root account with no problems, but I like the convenience of the X interface when performing routine tasks. I'm sure I've missed a single line in a config file somewhere not changing a "no" to a "yes", but I can't seem to find it. Any suggestions?

BowCatShot

Re: Remote management problem

#2 Post by BowCatShot »

Isn't there a parameter to ssh to provide an X interface? It's been a while since I've tried so I'm not sure.

stanb42

#3 Post by stanb42 »

The X interface is not the problem. Again Xephyr is working fine. The problem is that on one of my "remote" systems, all functions and programs that require root login work fine, but on the other they do not. I'm trying to understand what could be the difference.

stanb42

#4 Post by stanb42 »

Been over a year since last post, but I'll mark this as answered. Fixed the issue some while back by passing the -ac parameter in the Xephyr command line. Allowed full access as promised.