Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] High CPU load in Wheezy

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
layr

[SOLVED] High CPU load in Wheezy

#1 Post by layr »

System has somewhat clean install - netinstall of Wheezy on xfce 4.8, lightdm and Compiz as window manager. Few panel plug-ins.
Yet the CPU idling (~10) and peaks are way worse than they're on my Ubuntu 10.10 installation, which is more bloated (as in many processes running by default).
Running Iceweasel makes CPU usage go to (near) 100% very frequently, almost always on heavy scrolling; lags when opening tabs etc. One 3D application is running noticeably poorer on Wheezy. Both systems have proprietary GPU drivers installed.
Has anyone else experienced same issue?
(Ubuntu has 2.6.35-30-generic and Wheezy 3.1.0-1-486)
Last edited by layr on 2012-02-22 09:41, edited 1 time in total.

vbrummond

Re: High CPU load in Wheezy

#2 Post by vbrummond »

I have heard of issues in the ATI drivers for Wheezy. I assume this is what you have? You might want to use the open source drivers for now. Nvidia, dunno, normally the drivers are great. Since this happens with scrolling this seems to me to be a GPU issue. What is the processes using up most cpu time. Use the command top to find out.
Always on Debian Testing

layr

#3 Post by layr »

Nope, Nvidia's GPU.
Few screenshots of htop under ubuntu and wheezy (first two are ubuntu's). Note the picture where xserver is consuming 33% of CPU resources when Iceweasel was running (the CPU usage was hopping between 30 and 5 or so). Also compiz seems to be more resource hungry in Wheezy. Overall largest consumer is xserver. The xfce panel plugins don't seem that well-written either.

Edit: resizing some windows, mostly terminal, causes Xorg to peak; it often idles at ~40%.
Edit2: I just noiced, the kernel is 32-bit version, but my system has Core 2 Duo T7700. I've chosen the wrong installation media, but that shouldn't cause any problems, right?

vbrummond

#4 Post by vbrummond »

No, most programs derive no benefit from 64-bit. You probably wont notice the difference unless all you do is crunch numbers and have 16gb of ram. :) Also I can confirm I do not have any performance issues with my Intel Integrated so it has to be a gpu driver issue.

You might look into the smxi script to install drivers.
http://smxi.org/

or

Also ensure you are really using nvidia driver and not nouveau. I think you can see if Nouveau is loaded with this:

Code: Select all

lsmod | grep nouveau
If nouveau is really loaded try blacklisting it in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf. Simply add this to the bottom of the file:

blacklist nouveau
Then run (as root):

nvidia-xconfig
Finally reboot.
Always on Debian Testing

layr

#5 Post by layr »

Nope, nouveau wasn't loaded. But 'nvidia-xconfig' did the trick I guess - idle is OK and no noticeable performance degradation happens when messing around with windows.
Still, is it normal for Xorg in process tree to peak somewhere near 30-40 sometimes; 90-100% when autoscrolling on newspaper webpages? (again, scrolling on heavy webpages, minimizing-maximizing etc)
Edit: I'm quite sure I configured xorg.conf always correctly. Nevertheless, it looks as the best results come with first running nvidia-xconfig, and then modifying it as instructed in Debian wiki - under Compiz and Nvidia driver installation paragraphs.
Graphics drivers were installed as described in Debian wiki.

Edit2: okay, this is getting even weirder. I checked synaptic to see what version of xorg I have. It doesn't even list xorg as installed.