Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Why we hate Windows and Microsoft

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
sossego

Re: Why we hate Windows and Microsoft

#61 Post by sossego »

Whatever happened to Dilbert's right nut, eh?

Higher education has a dependency on MS with it being ridiculously worse at most community and technical colleges/schools. Out of the three community colleges, state university, and one technical school I attend(ed), two teach Linux related courses:
1.) A Redhat program for certification.
2.) Introduction to Linux by way of VirtualBox.

Both of these programs are taught at the community college level.

Within the current school, I find a wanton ignorance- i.e. full fledged stupidity- when it comes to hardware and software by the general student, staff, and IT populace.

I have recently installed Windows7 to VirtualBox- I would rather do without both but the school is dependent upon them- and the requirements are ridiculous; so, I run it at lower settings. It still causes the laptop to hang.
On the laptop: an ASUS something( purchased 2010 model released same year), amd64, 2G RAM with 1.7G available, and Fedora 16.
On the stable running environment: Blackbox because anything else would be too much. Yeah, right.

The vendor lock in of MS dependent products such as Blackboard pretty much sums up the mind state of those in charge of the budgets and IT: not much up in the attic.

Anyway, I like the name Z'aark. Isn't that the sound of a wildebeest ripping apart someone's rectum on a Tuesday night?
Let my desire and hope surpass my expectations;
And give me the strength to persevere through doubt.
Grant me the wisdom to exceed my bounds.
Let my eyes always see through the dream fog of childhood,
so that every moment may be treasured.

Randicus

#62 Post by Randicus »

sossego wrote:Whatever happened to Dilbert's right nut, eh?
Good question.I never thought of it before. :?
sossego wrote:I find a wanton ignorance- i.e. full fledged stupidity- when it comes to hardware and software by the general student, staff, and IT populace.
It is interesting that you mention the ignorance of IT people. Your words ring loud and clear. My current residence is on a university campus. The university has its own server/system/something, so DHCP does not work. Computers must be configured with static IP addresses.

One day my internet access stopped. It was working at noon, but when I return home after class at two o'clock ... nothing. After a couple days, I had the university's IT "professional" look at it. I even logged in with Chinese so he could read my system. After replacing the phone line, he brought in his lap-top and it worked. He told me my computer is broken. Oh no! I took my computer to a service centre, activated DHCP and had a perfect connection. Back home. A couple hours of tinkering and I restored the internet connection.

I, who am almost as close to being a ballerina as a computer geek, know more about configuring internet connections than the resident IT "professional." :roll: And I have no training. Everything I know is the result of playing with the settings and a little reading.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#63 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Randicus wrote:
I can only say we parted company some time ago ... :shock:
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

HungGarTiger

#64 Post by HungGarTiger »

Randicus wrote:
sossego wrote:I find a wanton ignorance- i.e. full fledged stupidity- when it comes to hardware and software by the general student, staff, and IT populace.
I, who am almost as close to being a ballerina as a computer geek, know more about configuring internet connections than the resident IT "professional." :roll: And I have no training. Everything I know is the result of playing with the settings and a little reading.
You are missing a very important factor though, that being the person in question is a Chinese IT Professional. The average computer expert in China knows less about computers than my grand mother, she doesn't even own a computer. These people willing install (on cracked XP) the most ridiculous amounts of spy and malware that I have ever seen - from qq (some form of government backdoor, communication monitor) to sudo (the worlds most obvious key logger) and everything inbetween - I will never go near a chinese persons computer. I rememeber the computers in my last office had on average of about 100 processes running at any one time, most of the stuff installed by the IT admin to "make the computer run better"...

Randicus

#65 Post by Randicus »

HungGarTiger wrote:These people willing install (on cracked XP) the most ridiculous amounts of spy and malware that I have ever seen - from qq (some form of government backdoor, communication monitor) to sudo (the worlds most obvious key logger) and everything inbetween - I will never go near a chinese persons computer.
Spyware and government back doors in China? 我不信 :lol:

HungGarTiger

#66 Post by HungGarTiger »

Randicus wrote:
HungGarTiger wrote:These people willing install (on cracked XP) the most ridiculous amounts of spy and malware that I have ever seen - from qq (some form of government backdoor, communication monitor) to sudo (the worlds most obvious key logger) and everything inbetween - I will never go near a chinese persons computer.
Spyware and government back doors in China? 我不信 :lol:
哈哈哈! 愚蠢的外国人 :mrgreen:

cynwulf

#67 Post by cynwulf »

Randicus wrote:There is no violation what-so-ever of the user's rights and choices.
Well yes there is... and has been for many years. Microsoft is a monopoly on the global desktop OS market. They've gotten where they are today through some pretty low tactics.
Randicus wrote:People choose to buy and use that product. If they also choose to be ignorant of what they use, they deserve what they get. Microsoft's software "manipulation" is not a secret. For those who are concerned about privacy and other snooping issues, it behooves them to do a little research before acquiring and installing an operating system.
It would be nice if it were that simple - i.e. people are just thick and need to be better educated... That would be the idealist view. Unfortunately that's not how it works. You're obviously interested in computing in general, hence you've taken the time to find out about this and to care - i.e. you've take the conscious decision to avoid an unethical "IT product". Have you also conducted the same research with regard to every morsel you eat and every stitch of clothing you wear? Is everything you consume responsibly sourced? If the answer to any of those is no, then you are indeed what some might call "ignorant" and you are probably one of those people who "deserve what they get".
Randicus wrote:The same logic could be used to make it illegal for McDonald's to claim the garbage they sell is food, but again, people choose to buy that garbage, even though they are free to buy real food, often cheaper than the stuff at McGag 'n Puke. People are also free to choose an OS. They can buy Microsoft or Apple, or install a better system for free.
No... it's nothing like the fast food industry. Restaurant food is not patented or restricted to certain outlets. When you go to e.g. an Italian restaurant, you don't get a "Supplied by McDonalds" sticker next to every item on the menu...

Randicus

#68 Post by Randicus »

@cynwulf
Perhaps I am out-of-the-ordinary, but I do like to research things a bit before I buy, especially if the cost is considerable. For example, buying a car. I do not buy the first one I see with a nice colour. I do not buy the first computer I see on the shelf. I check what hardware is installed. Yes, most people do not like examining details before buying. Perhaps I am idealistic or arrogant, but my view is that people who cannot be bothered to think before throwing their money away are either lazy or stupid.

And normally I do not consider ethical questions when buying things like clothing, but yes, I refuse to buy Nike products, because I hate the way they do business. So I am not a complete hypocrite. :)
HungGarTiger wrote:哈哈哈! 愚蠢的外国人 :mrgreen:
我不是一個外國人。我是一個魔鬼。 :lol:

cynwulf

#69 Post by cynwulf »

Randicus wrote:And normally I do not consider ethical questions when buying things like clothing, but yes, I refuse to buy Nike products, because I hate the way they do business. So I am not a complete hypocrite. :)
Some might say you're either "lazy or stupid"... :wink:

Microsoft are in a position of leverage, in that they effectively control the OEM vendors and ensure that Windows goes out on pretty much every system which is sold. Windows is a de facto standard and those kinds of standard are harder to uproot than an enforced standard - because it's what the people and the industry as a whole have accepted and expect as the norm for the last few decades. MS have been clever - much more so than Apple - in that they've exploited "open hardware" and allowed windows to be proliferated freely throughout the 2nd and 3rd world while hitting users in the developed world with their extortionate licence fees.

Choice doesn't come into it. People are not "lazy or stupid" because they "choose" Windows, they do so because they are simply not tech savvy enough to format and install or use GNU/Linux, have not heard of the alternatives or actually require Windows for compatibility reasons - i.e. in order to run a business. The simple truth is that most people are just not "operating system connoisseurs", they do not know enough about computing in general, nor do they care enough about it to want to change.

In reality there is nothing much which can be done to regulate or stop MS' or any of the others' "bundling" activities. So with that said, where does the user's freedom of "choice" come in? The majority are simply not aware of the windows refund and even those who are, and buy a PC with windows pre-installed then install GNU/Linux, *BSD, whatever, most will keep Windows just in case they want to wipe, reinstall and sell the thing on in the future. Either way MS win that one.

To compete with this, PC and laptops with pre-installed, working alternatives need to be a viable alternative (not the shittastic xandros and linpus, etc we were seeing a few years ago on low end netbooks). GNU/Linux will never take a slice out of the desktop market while it's still just a download. To achieve this, hardware vendors need to be convinced that GNU/Linux is a viable alternative to windows - it's that last part which is not going to happen while MS have the unfair position of being able to lean on vendors who don't comply...

sossego

#70 Post by sossego »

cynwulf wrote: nor do they care enough about it to want to change.
Here is the root problem in any given endeavor or situation:
Those who find a personal interest will always seek a way of completing their tasks.

bw123

#71 Post by bw123 »

about 8 months, still a total idiot
resigned by AI ChatGPT

sossego

#72 Post by sossego »

Choose your words again. Be willing to learn.
I screw up a lot.
I don't know how to "code."
God help me and others when my emotions get in the way.

What do I do now, hmmm?
Go back to the problem and try to find a solution.

If you need help, then let people know at what level of understanding you are with Debian and Linux in general.

FOSS is a standard for those who want to be proactive in the software and hardware communities.

Four23619

#73 Post by Four23619 »

Because (quote):
I get angry when I have to help someone that's still using XP. I don't understand how someone can use an operating system that is 11 years old, it boggles my mind.
I hate people who think XP is better than 7...I really really do. I can't stand it when people say XP is better
And it goes on and on; but my favourite comments of all time on the subject come from an ex-Winboi, who use to be a Tech TV host. He runs his own....erm... "trash site" (we'll just call it that), and in "recent" times, he was shouting on his video, telling people to "get off XP", "XP is dead"... all shouting, like he normally does - talking down on his audience (the same people giving him his $$). Mind you, the same idiot farts in his microphone on live webcast in front of thousands, so...

Anyway, the Winbois are just so full of hate - they can't fathom why anyone would stay on an "old" OS, despite how well it works. They have real anger issues, as the above comments show. I mean.. Mr "Tech TV", shouting at his audience, talking down on them (but that's normal), just for using an OS of THEIR choosing on THEIR computer... it's ridiculous. I have seen Winbois turn around and say that... "anyone still using XP should not be allowed near a computer". :roll:

In fact... I think anyone using Lenny still has serious issues; I HATE anyone using Lenny, I can't stand people using Lenny. Anyone using Lenny should turn off their computer :lol: :lol:

See how ridiculous that sounds? :roll:

By the way, I have seen many many a Windoze forum where the Winbois constantly bash Linux.
Registered Linux User #423619

phenest

#74 Post by phenest »

Four23619 wrote:By the way, I have seen many many a Windoze forum where the Winbois constantly bash Linux.
Links?
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

Randicus

#75 Post by Randicus »

Although this is not related to Microsoft, it is about the patents issue discussed earlier in the thread.
We live in a sad world where
the process of unlocking a smartphone by simply swiping a finger from one area of the screen to another
qualifies for a patent. I am waiting for the day when I am given a fine for wiping my butt by using the process of moving a hand from one area of the orifice to the other without paying a fee, because that technique of butt wiping has been patented.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/

vbrummond

#76 Post by vbrummond »

Yeah I read that. Patents and intellectual property are ridiculous.
Always on Debian Testing

cynwulf

#77 Post by cynwulf »

Four23619 wrote:Anyway, the Winbois are just so full of hate - they can't fathom why anyone would stay on an "old" OS, despite how well it works.
So if someone turns up here at FDN with questions about Potato or Woody, you'd not tell them to upgrade, but presumably provide assistance etc as they're using an "old" OS which works well...?

dasein

#78 Post by dasein »

Randicus wrote:Although this is not related to Microsoft, it is about the patents issue discussed earlier in the thread.
We live in a sad world where
the process of unlocking a smartphone by simply swiping a finger from one area of the screen to another
qualifies for a patent.
That's nothing, in the grand scheme of Stupid Patent Tricks. Using a laser pointer to play with a cat is patented.

nadir

#79 Post by nadir »

I wish someone would have made a patent on commata.

:lol:
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

Randicus

#80 Post by Randicus »

dasein wrote:That's nothing, in the grand scheme of Stupid Patent Tricks. Using a laser pointer to play with a cat is patented.
I think I shall try getting a patent on the process of getting a patent. That way I could rich getting a royalty from every patent. Are there not 100 or 150,000 patents issues every year? Imagine getting a dollar from each one. :lol: