Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Why such hostility lately?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
dasein

Re: Why such hostility lately?

#21 Post by dasein »

BowCatShot wrote:If most of you cowards would tell someone to RTFM to their face they'd knock you on your A$$.
Am I the only one who finds the presence of this statement in a thread about hostility profoundly ironic?

Randicus

#22 Post by Randicus »

Randicus wrote:(I can foresee the ruckus this post will cause. :twisted: )
But it took longer than I expected.
@cynwulf
I wrote nothing about a forum dictator, although if the autocrat in charge is intelligent, the forum would be run well.
You are correct that too many rules restricts a forum to the point of being useless, but the absence of rules is much worse. The message I get from your post is that you are advocating no rules. If I am wrong, I apologise for mis-interpreting.
but it's far better to let people do their own thing than to impose unrealistic restrictions - the more you tighten up and the more rules you make, the more rules are there to be broken, dodged or hurled back in your face
Not allowing trouble makers, who are quaintly called trolls on computer fora, to insult other members, use copious amounts of profanity and post obnoxious and/or obscene material is an unrealistic restriction?
This resonates with the attitude of many DUF members. If there are no rules everything will be good, because in a democracy everyone does the right thing. (I am not making this up. It was a response to something I wrote.) I disagree with that idea. But to each his own.

iceman

#23 Post by iceman »

I personally think the Debian forums, over all, are much better then most Linux based forums I have been to. Nothing is perfect or 100% but the majority of people here seem to be pretty mature.

I wonder though. All these variations of distros. If in part that has to do with the forums and any problems they may have there. I can see things breaking off at times for specialized distros. Maybe there are other issues as well.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
---------
Thinking is over rated. Let the Government do it for you.

Randicus

#24 Post by Randicus »

iceman wrote:I personally think the Debian forums, over all, are much better then most Linux based forums I have been to. Nothing is perfect or 100% but the majority of people here seem to be pretty mature.
I agree. Most of this forum's members are mature and reasonably intelligent. It is a good place to interact. :D

nadir

#25 Post by nadir »

Randicus wrote:
iceman wrote:I personally think the Debian forums, over all, are much better then most Linux based forums I have been to. Nothing is perfect or 100% but the majority of people here seem to be pretty mature.
I agree. Most of this forum's members are mature and reasonably intelligent.
A pity you are not one of them
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

vbrummond

#26 Post by vbrummond »

I meant the dictator of all not just the forum. :) :lol:

Edit: But yes being serious. I think base rules such as if you are being a jerk or posting pointless spam you will get modded is all you really need.
Always on Debian Testing

bw123

#27 Post by bw123 »

Tell you what, even with the hostility I learn an awful lot on here. Let's all drink beer and celebrate, then rtfm tomorrow?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

beardedragon

#28 Post by beardedragon »

To be honest, most of us have so much on our plate that it seems to flow over into everything we say and do. It's not fair, those of you I have had confrontations with, I apologize.
Robert Collard, Madison, WI
Lenovo K450e Kernel: 4.19.0-5 NVIDIA 418.74
Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) XFCE-4.12.4
Rule #1 Back Up
Rule #2 Back Up Your Back Up

HungGarTiger

#29 Post by HungGarTiger »

nadir wrote:
Randicus wrote:
I agree. Most of this forum's members are mature and reasonably intelligent.
A pity you are not one of them
You are right, he moved to China and seems to have done well intergrating with a new culture and language. What a loser :roll:

Randicus

#30 Post by Randicus »

HungGarTiger wrote:You are right, he moved to China and seems to have done well intergrating with a new culture and language. What a loser :roll:
Thanks for the support, but don't bother arguing. I have an easier way. Today I started adding trolls to an ignore list.

nadir

#31 Post by nadir »

HungGarTiger wrote: You are right, he moved to China and seems to have done well intergrating with a new culture and language. What a loser
No one knows you are a dog on the internet.

My point was that saying who is and who is not smart assumes that oneself is smart enough to be able to distinguish the both. And the ones who are not smart don't realize they are not, so they sure think they are amongst the former group.
It is more smart to assume one is part of the latter group It avoids looking ridiculous in the eyes of the ones who are able to see (or one is really damn smart, like i am. But that is seldom to be found amongst humans).

HungGarTiger

#32 Post by HungGarTiger »

nadir wrote:
HungGarTiger wrote: You are right, he moved to China and seems to have done well intergrating with a new culture and language. What a loser
No one knows you are a dog on the internet.

My point was that saying who is and who is not smart assumes that oneself is smart enough to be able to distinguish the both. And the ones who are not smart don't realize they are not, so they sure think they are amongst the former group.
It is more smart to assume one is part of the latter group It avoids looking ridiculous in the eyes of the ones who are able to see (or one is really damn smart, like i am. But that is seldom to be found amongst humans).
Haha I think you may have a point, but I realized a long time ago that 'the older you are the less you know' - and I knew everything when I was 13.
Still learning is a process(some are obviously further along than others), as a teacher I find joy in helping others learn and believe that knowledge should be shared :mrgreen:

dbruce

#33 Post by dbruce »

nadir wrote:My point was that saying who is and who is not smart assumes that oneself is smart enough to be able to distinguish the both. And the ones who are not smart don't realize they are not, so they sure think they are amongst the former group.
Whew! Reminds me of Rumsfeld's classic:

"It's not the certainties that make life interesting; it's the uncertainties. There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the things we don't know we don't know."

All I know is there are a lot of things I don't know I don't know. Maybe, anyway.

62chevy

#34 Post by 62chevy »

beardedragon wrote:To be honest, most of us have so much on our plate that it seems to flow over into everything we say and do. It's not fair, those of you I have had confrontations with, I apologize.

Maybe I missed something in one of your posts beardedragon but you have been one of the most helpful guy overs at Saline and you always do it politely and a bit of humor at times. I troll the site all the time but rarely need to answer a question because you and Anthony have got it covered. Anthony doesn't tolerate cursing even mild words like damn and when he made you a mod I thought it was a damn fine choice. the last year has proven me right too.

As far as change goes I hate it when someone moves the cheese on me. At least I think Gnome 3 is better than Window$ 8. Gnome 3 is getting better and if they ever let me use the panels the way I like then I will stay. Xfce in Sid is GREAT with only two major problems the devs refuse to let you aotulogin but there is a work around someone posted in the bugreports. The panel apt Action Button will not bring up a dialog box so you can chose to logout reboot shutdown or hibernate it just logs you out but running reboot/halt from a terminal works.

I'll give Gnome 3 until Wheezy goes stable to become usable. My biggest problem is how will my wife take to gnome 3 that could be the show stopper right there or maybe if I tell her it's just like your cell phone she may be more accepting.

Change sucks hard at times.
Debian Buster

nadir

#35 Post by nadir »

62chevy wrote: Anthony doesn't tolerate cursing even mild words like damn
Thanks for the warning about another non-free forum, hence one i can easily omit.

62chevy

#36 Post by 62chevy »

nadir wrote:
Thanks for the warning about another non-free forum, hence one i can easily omit.
As a one horse distribution based on Squeeze you could deal with any issues in your sleep. Although your expertise could help the newbies that come to the site. One plus the site has is no Ubuntu trolls bitching about fonts.
Debian Buster

nadir

#37 Post by nadir »

62chevy wrote:
nadir wrote:
As a one horse distribution based on Squeeze you could deal with any issues in your sleep. Although your expertise could help the newbies that come to the site. One plus the site has is no Ubuntu trolls bitching about fonts.
Mhhh... being a full time nerd (being awkward), i am not sure, but it was a compliment, right? If so: thanks, but i really miss a lot of very basic knowledge (no kidding, say "mount" is still a bit above me :lol: ).
A one horse distro you say? Oh! I would not have thought so. Someone mentioned it at the refracta forum, i downloaded it and had a look, and it really looked good. But it is like it is, and one can only run a certain amount of distros.

With regulation one can easily get rid of experienced users, and ones who know way more than i do. One will also get rid of the more interesting but difficult personalities. Imho, sure (let's call it the diva-problem... :-) If one wants a family-friendly forum one will get exactly that. But i repeat myself... :lol: What again was this thread about? ... ah.. hostility... mhh.... seems to fit somehow. At least i did not start with Kant, who wrote an interesting essay about the problem).

/tmp

Re: why such hostility lately?

#38 Post by /tmp »

ZACHARiAS wrote:
Randicus wrote:I do not want to delve into the issue of rudeness in general, but the rudeness concerning Gnome3, Unity, and I would add KDE, may be the result of unwanted changes being "forced" on people. Perhaps recent changes that have made those DEs slow and unwieldly, by sacrificing functionality in favour of eye candy, unnecessary applications and an overall appearance of mobile telephone screens, dramatically altering (or destroying, depending on point of view) the DEs they had enjoyed using irritates many people. Add to that the real, or unreal but apparent, situation that developers are not listening to criticism has probably raised the irritation to anger. Especially when developers and "fanboys" respond to criticsm with "Oh just use. You will grow to like it."

As for hatred directed at other OSs, all I shall say is it only takes one match to light a fire. The zealots of Distro A start saying we hate Distro B. It does not take long before people using Distro B start firing insults at Distro A.
amen to that!
kudos
"Some men aren't looking for anything logical. They can't be bought, bullied or reasoned with. Some men just want to watch the world burned."
Bookworm | Intel I7-3667U | Apple Macbook Air 5,2 (Mid 2012) (Laptop) | 8 GB RAM | 3rd Gen Intel Core Graphics

62chevy

#39 Post by 62chevy »

Stuff like this
severity 636104 wishlist
thanks
On lun., 2011-08-22 at 16:09 +0200, Daniel Baumann wrote:
> severity 636104 important
> thanks
>
> i just saw your commit on tasksel that makes lightdm the new default
> display-manager for xfce.
>
> that means, that you really need to support autologin, otherwise, the
> live cds are either going to keep using gdm3, or, that you have horrible
> user experience where you have to login (which imho is not acceptable,
> thus the gdm3 fallback).

Well, I don't buy the “horrible” user experience, sorry. But if you
think so, sure, use gdm3 fallback until it's ready in lightdm. I don't
think that changes anything from xdm, right?
>
> i guess you'll agree that autologin is important then, and therefore
> i've already added support for lightdm in live-config and switched to
> use lightdm instead of gdm3 in live-build by default for xfce images.

Well, I think autologin might be nice to have for some people (and,
well, maybe only live images, in fact). I still don't think it's
severity important and (again) that won't magically makes the bug fix
itself.

Now I won't prevent people to work on that, but I don't have the time
right now to look at it and I prefer user experience issues on live cds
than security issue on installed Debian boxes.

Regards,
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=636104

It took the dev longer to respond to and argue with people than it did for me to fix the bug which someone posted at the bottom of the bugreport.

Gnome 3 every time I tweaked it and a upgrade came along my tweak was gone. Grrrr!

Ubuntu Trolls!!!!

Mint Trolls!!!!

People that say "I just installed Debian and now my hardware doesn't work" and nothing else.

All that stuff tends to make me a little grumpy.
Debian Buster