Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

new kernel question

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
monkey

new kernel question

#1 Post by monkey »

Hi, this is probably going to be a very stupid question... :oops: It appears my wireless card broadcom 4331 requires 3.2-rc3+ kernel to work. When i boot the computer (wheezy on macbook pro late 2011) this is what it writes:

Code: Select all

b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode29_mimo.fw" not found
b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43-open/ucode29_mimo.fw" not found
b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and download the correct firmware for this driver version. Please read carefully all instructions on this website.
I went to the website and it says that 4331 is supported but only in 3.2-rc3+. But where do i get the 3.2-rc3+? :oops: I searched in wheezy packages and it doesn't seem to appear there.

stevepusser

Re: new kernel question

#2 Post by stevepusser »

What kernel are you running now, then? Be aware that "rc" (release candidates) are older than the plain 3.2 kernel. You can see from this page that Wheezy has those kernels: http://packages.debian.org/search?keywo ... ection=all

You need a firmware package that has those firmware files. One way to find them is to search for them at that same site as above:

and there's nothing. Probably some license issue---so follow the instructions to get and install the missing file. As long as you have the correct kernel, it will use that file.
MX Linux packager and developer