Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Advice on RAM price

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Aris Veresie

Advice on RAM price

#1 Post by Aris Veresie »

I am looking to get some DDR2 667 server RAM (4x4GB) and the prices I find by searching range from over 100 euro to 400 euro plus. They can easily be found on the 200-300 range. Are those the normal prices, and is it possible to find lower prices?
Being anonymous is the same as being an idiot.

phenest

Re: Advice on RAM price

#2 Post by phenest »

This depends on whether you want new or used, and how much you can afford. I always buy Crucial RAM, sometimes Kingston.
My laptop takes the same spec, and Crucial want approx 57 Euros for 4GB.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

62chevy

#3 Post by 62chevy »

Prices in the US look slightly less but by time you pay shipping to your location could be the same or more.
Debian Buster

62chevy

#4 Post by 62chevy »

phenest wrote:This depends on whether you want new or used, and how much you can afford. I always buy Crucial RAM, sometimes Kingston.
My laptop takes the same spec, and Crucial want approx 57 Euros for 4GB.

He wants server RAM which is by nature more expensive. I can get Desktop RAM for half the price of server RAM and that would be the way to go if his server is not getting hundreds of hit every day. If he is trying to run a tor or i2p server then he may be better off with the server RAM.
Debian Buster

Aris Veresie

#5 Post by Aris Veresie »

I don't mind used, as long as they work; the workstation-server I got is used and it's for home use btw. I feel is much better than a new system, and I can upgrade the CPUs to quads. It comes with 2x1GB, and I will get a 4x4GB pack sometime. Maybe for the moment I'll just get another 2x1GB so it can "quad-pump", and watch the prices for a deal. From outside Europe I will have to add another 17% tax on the total price. One thing to keep in mind is that small items don't cost a lot to post. And that sometimes you find high post prices in your own country.

Thanks.

Aris Veresie

#6 Post by Aris Veresie »

Bumping up with a new question.
Will there be any problem getting 2x4GB DIMMs? I am worrying whether buying different brands (I want to go up to the 32GB total) would be correctly detected by the board. Budget will not allow me getting 4x4GB at once so I will have to buy pairs. I have considered getting 2x1GB and 2x2GB but I think it will be a waste of money. The computer is an HP xw6600.

Edit. And one more question. Is it possible to use ECC FB DIMMs on a normal computer? I have an old Tyan S1854 (Pentium II/III, socket/slot combination) Board on which I may upgrade the RAM installed. As I know I cannot mix non-ECC with ECC DIMMs.

62chevy

#7 Post by 62chevy »

Code: Select all

Main Memory •Up to 768MB onboard (1.5GB not verified at
            time of print, please see website for details.)
            •Three 168-pin DIMM sockets
            •Supports 100MHz & 133 MHz SDRAM with
            SPD
            •Supports VCM Memory
This is what the manual said about you RAM for your Tyan S1854 Motherboard.

Code: Select all

http://www.tyan.com/archive/support/html/manuals.html
Copy the link if you don't have one and download it. Check the web site for any additional info remember RAM is King and the CPU is Queen. Or something like that :mrgreen:
Debian Buster

Aris Veresie

#8 Post by Aris Veresie »

I had the manual, but have not read the memory section properly. Further down it says that buffered DIMMs have a different notch (cut, key) and cannot be installed. It even has a picture.

I'll keep in mind what you said about the RAM and CPU. My 'bad' news is that I will be forced on buying a pair of 2x2GB DIMMs for my new computer, so I will have a total of 6GB to start with. Unless I can find the 4GBs at a good price. Bad in the sense that they will be useless in the future. Jumping from 1GB that I have now will be awesome.

Thanks for your replies. Case closed.