[solved]HpDV6 Hybrid Graphics, AMD DRIVER, No screens found

Getting your soundcard to work, using Debian on non-i386 hardware, etc

[solved]HpDV6 Hybrid Graphics, AMD DRIVER, No screens found

Postby Amphibious » 2012-02-27 02:20

Hello everyone, I am using a debian variant "Crunchbang" with the 3.2.0 kernel.
My laptop is a HP DV6 1115 EV
it uses an HM65 intep chipset

It has hybrid graphics, one integrated Intel HD vga card and one AMD HD 6770

I recently managed to install the proprietary amd drivers, I needed to do this because the open source ones overheat. I installed them with the SMXI script and they worked OK because I could access AMDCCCLE and the GPU had settled down and was more energy efficient.

However, I decided to log out, after logging out of the session I was thrown into an X server error screen, the error part said this:

EE) Screen 1 deleted because of no matching config selection
(EE) fglrx(0): PowerXpress: usr/lib64/fglrx/switchlibGL failed with exit status 1
(EE) fglrx(0): PowerXpress: Failed to switch libGL link files.
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
Fatal server error: No screens found.

What strikes me is that immediately after installing it in TTY through the SMXI script, it worked! however ever since I logged out it keeps giving me that error message.

Thank you in advance
Last edited by Amphibious on 2012-02-27 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
Amphibious

Re: HpDV6 Hybrid Graphics, AMD DRIVER, No screens found

Postby makh » 2012-02-27 16:29

What I have learnt in past four years in linux:

NEVER MESS UP WITH MONITORS, IT KEEPS ON DISTURBING YOU.

Stick with whats running, or change the distro, some can offer better hardware playback.
HP Probook 440 G2: Arch, Debian Stable
Server: none
Past: Debian, Centos, Ubuntu, Opensuse
GUI: Openbox, Cinnamon
Chroot: Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora
VM: Devuan

Employing the best:
Arabic
Debian
Homeopathic

For new: Try Linux Mint
makh

Re: HpDV6 Hybrid Graphics, AMD DRIVER, No screens found

Postby Amphibious » 2012-02-27 20:08

Actually, I had to mess with it as the open source drivers were inefficient and raised high temperatures even when idling. That coupled with the fact that I wanted to be able to switch between cards.
No Distro out there that I tried fixed any of these two things. So I decided to stick with the distro I liked and try to fix it on there instead.

As it turns out, all I had to do was sudo aticonfig --initial -f. Everything works now, AMD drivers with hybrid graphics.

For anyone with hybrid ATI graphics that is interested in this subject: http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic ... s-drivers/

I followed the SMXI method on a fresh installation, when asked to select a GPU, first I installed a driver on the intel, twice, as the guide says, then selected the ATI one.
Afterwards if you meet the error i mentioned on this thread, simply do sudo aticonfig --initial -f in TTY and reboot.
Amphibious

Return to Hardware