Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[solved]HpDV6 Hybrid Graphics, AMD DRIVER, No screens found

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Amphibious

[solved]HpDV6 Hybrid Graphics, AMD DRIVER, No screens found

#1 Post by Amphibious »

Hello everyone, I am using a debian variant "Crunchbang" with the 3.2.0 kernel.
My laptop is a HP DV6 1115 EV
it uses an HM65 intep chipset

It has hybrid graphics, one integrated Intel HD vga card and one AMD HD 6770

I recently managed to install the proprietary amd drivers, I needed to do this because the open source ones overheat. I installed them with the SMXI script and they worked OK because I could access AMDCCCLE and the GPU had settled down and was more energy efficient.

However, I decided to log out, after logging out of the session I was thrown into an X server error screen, the error part said this:

EE) Screen 1 deleted because of no matching config selection
(EE) fglrx(0): PowerXpress: usr/lib64/fglrx/switchlibGL failed with exit status 1
(EE) fglrx(0): PowerXpress: Failed to switch libGL link files.
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
Fatal server error: No screens found.

What strikes me is that immediately after installing it in TTY through the SMXI script, it worked! however ever since I logged out it keeps giving me that error message.

Thank you in advance
Last edited by Amphibious on 2012-02-27 20:10, edited 1 time in total.

makh

Re: HpDV6 Hybrid Graphics, AMD DRIVER, No screens found

#2 Post by makh »

What I have learnt in past four years in linux:

NEVER MESS UP WITH MONITORS, IT KEEPS ON DISTURBING YOU.

Stick with whats running, or change the distro, some can offer better hardware playback.
ThinkPad E14: Arch, Debian Stable
GUI: Xfce

For new: Try MX Linux, Linux Mint; later join Debian Stable

Amphibious

Re: HpDV6 Hybrid Graphics, AMD DRIVER, No screens found

#3 Post by Amphibious »

Actually, I had to mess with it as the open source drivers were inefficient and raised high temperatures even when idling. That coupled with the fact that I wanted to be able to switch between cards.
No Distro out there that I tried fixed any of these two things. So I decided to stick with the distro I liked and try to fix it on there instead.

As it turns out, all I had to do was sudo aticonfig --initial -f. Everything works now, AMD drivers with hybrid graphics.

For anyone with hybrid ATI graphics that is interested in this subject: http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic ... s-drivers/

I followed the SMXI method on a fresh installation, when asked to select a GPU, first I installed a driver on the intel, twice, as the guide says, then selected the ATI one.
Afterwards if you meet the error i mentioned on this thread, simply do sudo aticonfig --initial -f in TTY and reboot.