Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

When will Cinnamon get into Wheezy?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
jowyta

#1 Post by jowyta »

I need to get back to a simple desktop with a single bar at the bottom of the screen (out of the way, the top bar is for the application I am using) with launchers, taskbar and notification area.

I also support users who are going to want to retain this layout when Wheezy becomes stable. I guess that any business that is using Debian is going to want the same, not have to train their staff to use a different, less convenient desktop. That is the sort of trick M$ imposes on people.

John

secipolla

Re: When will Cinnamon get into Wheezy?

#2 Post by secipolla »

You can use the Xfce desktop.
Cinnamon is still a bit green but it will be available in the Debian compatible Mint repository.

And yes, as much as there are good things in GNOME 3 and well intentioned people, there are some obvious flaws. The proof for that is when you see in the GNOME related web resources, like blogs, that any constructive suggestion is soon contested by completely unsubstantiated posts by fanboys, some of which I suspect are contributors themselves. So more balanced contributors are challenged to find proper feedback.
A simple example is them sacrificing application design just to get a unified pattern in the whole desktop, as if one would be able to use GNOME and nothing else, which is obviously not going to happen except maybe in some very limited devices.

vbrummond

#3 Post by vbrummond »

Please never.
Always on Debian Testing

cannae

#4 Post by cannae »

I agree never. Use Xfce 4.6 now, and in 4.8 you should be able to get rid of the dock on the bottom for the original taskbar. I don't want Linux desktops to turn into a dumbed down plastic phone OS with all the standard bits stripped out or hidden (or both).

MarcusW

#5 Post by MarcusW »

jowyta wrote:I need to get back to a simple desktop with a single bar at the bottom of the screen (out of the way, the top bar is for the application I am using) with launchers, taskbar and notification area.

I also support users who are going to want to retain this layout when Wheezy becomes stable. I guess that any business that is using Debian is going to want the same, not have to train their staff to use a different, less convenient desktop. That is the sort of trick M$ imposes on people.

John
When somebody steps up to package and maintain it. (if there's enough time before the freeze) My guess is it won't get in to the main repos for wheezy at all.

bmc5311

#6 Post by bmc5311 »

vbrummond wrote:
Please never.
best post evah! :lol: :lol:

iceman

#7 Post by iceman »

I am looking forward to Cinnamon. I am staying with Debian but it is one I would like to use it when it is a little more mature. However as others have said XFCE4 is great. If I ever get a touch monitor though I might end up using Gnome 3.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
---------
Thinking is over rated. Let the Government do it for you.

dtl131

#8 Post by dtl131 »

vbrummond wrote:
Please never.
Why do you want to impose your preference(s) on everyone else when having cinnamon in the repo won't affect you?

bmc5311

#9 Post by bmc5311 »

jowyta wrote:I need to get back to a simple desktop with a single bar at the bottom of the screen (out of the way, the top bar is for the application I am using) with launchers, taskbar and notification area.

John
cinnamon is gnome-shell with a bunch of pre-installed extensions, it is still gnome 3.
the old gnome is dead, finished, kaput, no longer being developed upstream, get over it.
spend 10 minutes learning the new shell or switch to something else.
it's not a trick and it's not hard to learn.
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet

secipolla

#10 Post by secipolla »

@bmc5311, you're confusing Cinnamon with MGSE (Mint's GNOME Shell Extensions).

bmc5311

#11 Post by bmc5311 »

secipolla wrote:@bmc5311, you're confusing Cinnamon with MGSE (Mint's GNOME Shell Extensions).
it's not gnome 3?

dtl131

#12 Post by dtl131 »

bmc5311 wrote:it's not gnome 3?
It's a fork of it, and libmuffin is a fork of Mutter.

secipolla

#13 Post by secipolla »

(expanding)I don't know the technicalities, but it's a fork of gnome-shell. So it started based on it but is following its own path now.
Clem explained that well, probably on some comment on the Cinnamon blog. Basically the GNOME developers weren't interested in exchanging improvements and follow their own, let's say 'not very wide', path.
BTW, Cinnamon 1.3 was released today.

bmc5311

#14 Post by bmc5311 »

secipolla wrote:(expanding)I don't know the technicalities, but it's a fork of gnome-shell. So it started based on it but is following its own path now.
Clem explained that well, probably on some comment on the Cinnamon blog. Basically the GNOME developers weren't interested in exchanging improvements and follow their own, let's say 'not very wide', path.
BTW, Cinnamon 1.3 was released today.
a fork of gnome 3 or a fork of gnome-shell? this is where most people seem to get confused, gnome-shell is only a part of gnome 3 (i'm sure that you know this).
i suppose that the clem guy is entitled to his opinion and so are the gnome developers.
clem's ideas of "improvements" could be seen as a step backwards to some, whatever..
i'm not interested in mint, so it doesn't surprise me that the gnome developers aren't either.

personally i didn't care for (the old) gnome (i used openbox for the last couple of years) until the new gnome-shell showed up, i like the new interface, it's easy to learn and pretty intuitive once you you stop thinking it should act like the old gnome.

secipolla

#15 Post by secipolla »

It doesn't make much sense you keep arguing in a thread when you don't have a clue about its main subject.
You said already more than once in other more appropriate threads how much you like GNOME 3.

bmc5311

#16 Post by bmc5311 »

secipolla wrote:It doesn't make much sense you keep arguing in a thread when you don't have a clue about its main subject.
You said already more than once in other more appropriate threads how much you like GNOME 3.
:roll: I'm not arguing with you, or anyone else. I incorrectly stated that Cinnamon was gnome-shell with pre-installed extensions, I was then corrected and informed that it was a fork, I asked if it was a fork of gnome 3 or or a fork of gnome-shell. gnome-shell is not "gnome 3" - gnome 3 is the whole desktop environment (the DE), it's more then just the shell.

vbrummond

#17 Post by vbrummond »

dtl131 wrote:Why do you want to impose your preference(s) on everyone else when having cinnamon in the repo won't affect you?
Because Cinnamon and Mint are both dire crap.

Edit: I don't really care if its in or not. As long as it is quality software; as you said; I never have to use it. I am just hoping to never have to put up with "Mint" anything in my lifetime.
Always on Debian Testing

dtl131

#18 Post by dtl131 »

Many thought KDE4 was utter crap until about 4.5.x, but it was still in the repo. I suggest giving Cinnamon more time to develop before passing judgement on it.

jowyta

#19 Post by jowyta »

In the mean time ....

I have succeeded in installing Cinnamon as follows:

Using aptitude and Wheezy/testing, first of all update all installed packages.
Then include the line:

Code: Select all

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import
in /etc/apt/sources.list.
In aptitude, press u (update)
Find cinnamon, press + to install it. DO NOT press U (update packages).
Press g, check that only cinnamon and a few dependencies are due to be installed. In my case these were:
caribou
cups-pk-helper
gir1.2-atspi-2.0
gir1.2-muffin-3.0
libatspi2.0-0
libglew1.7
libmuffin0
mesa-utils
muffin-common
python-pyatspi2

Press g again to install them.
Finally, comment out the line in /etc/apt/sources.list, i.e.

Code: Select all

#deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import
and then in aptitude, press u (update) again.

Next time you log on you will have the option to use Cinnamon.

iceman

#20 Post by iceman »

jowyta, thanks. It worked perfectly.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
---------
Thinking is over rated. Let the Government do it for you.