Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

New Shape to forum - REQUIRED

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
makh

New Shape to forum - REQUIRED

#1 Post by makh »

Two new sections on index page:

1. Newbie having all the original sections, as subsections into it, between forum and help; and with users=newbie requiring help with less than 100 postings.

1.a. Rest of the sections be for the consistent/usual debian/forum users only.

1.b. If any newbie posts questions in the original section, the post be moved to the say:
(newbie > hardware) etc.

2. The how to section be converted to:

2.a. It must have two subsections 1: https://help.ubuntu.com/community, and 2: individual techniques by various users, but in some easily browseable format like software > (subsections: install/configure/fine-tune/remove) etc

Its a suggestion.

craigevil

Re: New Shape to forum - REQUIRED

#2 Post by craigevil »

I'm guessing English isn't your first language. :)

Mez has a thread going somewhere that is for just what you posted, forum suggestions.

Personally I think we have more than enough sections already, too many just makes it harder to find things.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

cynwulf

#3 Post by cynwulf »

We have one section too many in fact... but that's old news...

:wink:

Randicus

#4 Post by Randicus »

To touch on only one of several things that could be mentioned.
makh wrote: 1. Newbie having all the original sections, as subsections into it, between forum and help; and with users=newbie requiring help with less than 100 postings.
1.a. Rest of the sections be for the consistent/usual debian/forum users only.
1.b. If any newbie posts questions in the original section, the post be moved to the say:
(newbie > hardware) etc.
Two things are being confused: 1) Newbie as a person new to GNU-Linux who is unfamiliar with it. And 2); Someone who is new to Debian.

If I understand the idea correctly, a person with fewer than 100 posts would not be allowed to post questions outside the Newbie sub-forum. That would not make any sense if, for example, a person just migrated to Debian from Arch and knows more about editing files and so forth than many of the people here already.

In fact, on another forum I frequent, there was recently a discussion about whether or not there should be a newbie section. Some people believe it is better to not have one. And craigevil has a good point about being careful regarding making too many sub-fora.

makh

#5 Post by makh »

Hi Randicus

A. U have a good point for my first point. I partially can agree. But repetitive or too basic questions should then be deleted or something?

B. Say something about the second one.

jheaton5

#6 Post by jheaton5 »

Randicus wrote:Two things are being confused: 1) Newbie as a person new to GNU-Linux who is unfamiliar with it. Add 2); Someone who is new to Debian.
There are many members with tons of gnu/linux/debian experience who just recently joined the forum. And there are newbies who ask tons of questions and don't seem to learn anything. The number of posts is not a measure of experience.
debian sid

makh

#7 Post by makh »

Hi Jheaton5

Then a joinee can tell during joining the time he has spent on linux.
ThinkPad E14: Arch, Debian Stable
GUI: Xfce

For new: Try MX Linux, Linux Mint; later join Debian Stable

jheaton5

#8 Post by jheaton5 »

makh wrote:Hi Jheaton5

Then a joinee can tell during joining the time he has spent on linux.
Seems like a lot of maintenance required by the moderators.
debian sid

LA

#9 Post by LA »

Number of posts is irrelevant to any measure of experience, or even the basic ability to execute a rational process to solve a problem.

Proof of Mensa membership would provide a good foundation metric.

Or, this works well and can be tuned to individual tastes.......

while(post_quality(poster[post]) == CLUELESS) {
ignore(poster);
}

:wink:

craigevil

Re: New Shape to forum - required-NOT

#10 Post by craigevil »

There are too many sub forums already. Unless the majority of mods, admins, and members see the need I do not see the forum changing any time soon.

If you like the way the Ubuntu forums are set up please go there and babble. :twisted:
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
My Giant Sources.list

jheaton5

Re: New Shape to forum - required-NOT

#11 Post by jheaton5 »

craigevil wrote:There are too many sub forums already. Unless the majority of mods, admins, and members see the need I do not see the forum changing any time soon.

If you like the way the Ubuntu forums are set up please go there and babble. :twisted:
+1
debian sid

dzz

#12 Post by dzz »

users=newbie requiring help with less than 100 postings
makh

hmm.. post #91 here.. What sort of help did you have in mind for me?

jheaton5

#13 Post by jheaton5 »

dzz wrote:
users=newbie requiring help with less than 100 postings
makh

hmm.. post #91 here.. What sort of help did you have in mind for me?
There is a little button on your computer somewhere. Press it to turn the thing on. :mrgreen:
debian sid

dzz

#14 Post by dzz »

(post #92) Help! X won't start! What button do you mean? :mrgreen:

JohnDeere730

#15 Post by JohnDeere730 »

(post #53) What is this "X" of which you speak? Why doesn't it start? Too cold? Maybe some ether in the manifold will help it start. I'm so confused... :(

Back to the OP, I agree. This forum appears rectangular on my screen. I think it should be round. Also, all those words confuse and anger me; there should be more pictures.

makh

#16 Post by makh »

Hi Craig

Its nice that u r gifted with all linux solutions, but its not appropriate to blow it to somebody who is less in something than u.

I only point at their documentation, I never mentioned their forum. I suppose one in debian must never compare or under estimate other linux distros, all get same kernel from Trovalds. This is all I get to see in other forums, bashing other linuxes for nothing.

Ubuntu and Fedora projects are making linux alive on many desktops from past few years. Its a fact.

Hi JohnDeere730; dzz; jheaton5: Its such a pity if educated people like you do this. This is making linux image down.

nadir

#17 Post by nadir »

I understood they meant: "post count says nothing about knowledge".
I can assure you: they are right. No idea where all my posts come from (probably lots of chat, lots of "extended discussions" too, but for sure not knowledge).
The only way to know whom to trust is to hang around for a while (no thanks buttons, no post counts, no beans system will help you with that. It might give a first hint, but thats it).
Imho.

As for subsections: i never know where to ask, hence i always put it in "general". More sections would not help me. Still "general" :-) That is me.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

cynwulf

#18 Post by cynwulf »

Offtopic: Has anyone seen any of those pathetic troll alt accounts lately? Just wondering...

:roll:

JohnDeere730

#19 Post by JohnDeere730 »

makh wrote:Hi Craig

Its nice that u r gifted with all linux solutions, but its not appropriate to blow it to somebody who is less in something than u.
Craig never said he had all the solutions; he was "blowing it to you" what the hell ever that means, because of your arrogant attitude, not any perceived lack of knowledge on your part.
makh wrote: Hi JohnDeere730; dzz; jheaton5: Its such a pity if educated people like you do this. This is making linux image down.
No, it's people like you making asinine assumptions and arrogant pronouncements based on said assumptions that bring "linux down", as you say. Grow up.

craigevil

#20 Post by craigevil »

Locking thread before the flames get any worse.
My Giant Sources.list