Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

mplex gstreamer plugin for brasero

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
chrismalan

mplex gstreamer plugin for brasero

#1 Post by chrismalan »

I tried creating a video project with brasero. First it told me that to insert a supported disc. That was a misleading error message - there was nothing wrong with the disc. Google to the rescue - I installed something like gstreamer toolbox and that message went away. Then it told me that I had to have the mplex gstreamer plugin. Nothing even remotely like it in synaptic. Mutlimedia is in sources.list. Google revealed that this was a well known problem among Ubuntu users. None of them knew the fix. However one poster named the file, libgstmplex.so, and location. I found that in gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse_0.10.18-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb on http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/amd64/ ... multiverse. Looking in the files supplied, libgstmplex.so was there and in the right directory. I only needed one dependency which I installed using synaptic. Then I installed this package. After that everything worked.

Why is all this hassle necessary? Surely all needed packages can be supplied and made easy to find. And I've been with Linux for years. This is enough to turn a newbie off and send him back to Windows.

I'm with Debian now and will most likely stay here. Debian's reliability appealed to me. It should just be easier to get things like a CD/DVD burner to work as it is supposed to work.

Chris

craigevil

Re: mplex gstreamer plugin for brasero

#2 Post by craigevil »

1. the needed package is in the debian repos.
2. do not use ubuntu packages

$ apt-cache policy gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad
gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad:
Installed: 0.10.21-4
Candidate: 0.10.21-4
Version table:
*** 0.10.21-4 0
500 http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ unstable/main i386 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

The description for Brasero even says installing other packages will add more functionality.
The following packages, if installed, will provide Brasero with added
functionality:
* cdrdao to burn combined data/audio CDs and for byte-to-byte copy
* GStreamer backends to support more audio formats
* vcdimager to create VCDs or SVCDs
* libdvdcss2 to copy encrypted DVDs
Homepage: http://www.gnome.org/projects/brasero/
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

chrismalan

#3 Post by chrismalan »

Hi Graig,

Thanks for this, but libgstmplex.so is not in the bad or even the really bad set of plugins I have on synaptic. I see you have bigger version numbers than the ones I have installed. Just copying mpeg files created with WinFF as data files to a dvd results in a playable DVD.

Chris

crispy

#4 Post by crispy »

Greg / Chris,

I've *finally* gotten Brasero up to the point where it says I need mplex when attempting to burn an avi file. For the record, in my case I needed to add braser-cdrkit after previously receiving the non-descript cd not supported message.

I'm running wheezy amd64. gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad doesn't seem to have mplex - I'm guessing I need mjpegtools, but I can't get this without the newer libquicktime and trying to get these updated is turning into a plate of dependency spaghetti which will rip away things I want to keep like pulse audio.

Any suggestions? I couldn't suck the gstreamer bad plugin from the multiverse repo you mentioned because of a conflict with the gstreamer bad plugin I have, and it didn't look like removing the wheezy gstreamer would be an option either.

glen

#5 Post by glen »

Absolutely true, I've been screwing around with this off and on most of today. I can't tell if there are libraries missing because debian would be sued for distributing them or what. I just can't tell. Why its such a big ****** secret pisses me off.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Apparently soon after Squeeze was released, there was some sort of massive change in what codecs were allowed into Debian main. The formerly forbidden Mpeg2 (what video DVDs use), Xvid/mpeg4, x264, and h.264 codecs were added upstream and to squeeze-backports. However, the Squeeze programs have not been rebuilt to take advantage of the new libraries, since they are only in backports, so users have of choice of rebuilding the packages themselves against the new libraries or trying a debian-multimedia version.

Still not in Debian are the libfaac0 and mjpegtools packages.
MX Linux packager and developer

glen

#7 Post by glen »

Right, there was a period when I first installed 6.0 shortly after it was released where I COULD make dvds. I have tried both the backports (got library miss-match errors) and have debian-multimedia, but their packages don't work either. I'll try your suggestion of building the packages myself. Something I have no idea of how to do, but in a week I'll probably have it down, I'll ask my boss for a sabbatical or get my wife pregnant or whatever it takes to get the time off to figure how to get the video of my daughters birthday onto a disk my father can play in his DVD player.

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

DeVeDe uses mencoder to trancode the video, but I installed both mencoder and mencoder-mt, then just copied /usr/bin/mencoder-mt over /usr/bin/mencoder:

Code: Select all

su -c 'cp /usr/bin/mencoder-mt /usr/bin/mencoder'
mainly so embedded subtitles in mp4 and mkv files would not show up as huge subtitles permanently embedded in the final DVD. Mencoder-mt may not give those version mismatches, and I know it can create DVD mpeg2 files.
MX Linux packager and developer