Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Nvidia 64-bit vs 32-bit driver conflict

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Canisaur

[SOLVED] Nvidia 64-bit vs 32-bit driver conflict

#1 Post by Canisaur »

I asked this question on the WINE forums but they told me to ask here instead:

I'm trying to get EVE Online working on WINE in Debian Wheezy. I get the following error when I try to run eve.exe:

err:d3d:WineD3D_CreateFakeGLContext Can't find a suitable iPixelFormat

I believe I've traced the problem to needing the nvidia-glx-ia32 package. However, when I try to install it, I get:

# apt-get install nvidia-glx-ia32
The following packages will be REMOVED:
libgl1-nvidia-glx nvidia-glx xserver-xorg-video-nvidia

So how can I install the Nvidia 32-bit compat libraries without removing my Nvidia xorg drivers?
Last edited by Canisaur on 2012-02-28 16:50, edited 2 times in total.

Canisaur

Re: Nvidia 64-bit vs 32-bit driver conflict

#2 Post by Canisaur »

Here are all of my installed Nvidia packages, in case it might help:

Code: Select all

# dpkg -l | grep nvidia
ii  glx-alternative-nvidia               0.2.0                          allows the selection of NVIDIA as GLX provider
ii  libgl1-nvidia-alternatives           290.10-1                       transition libGL.so* diversions to glx-alternative-nvidia
rc  libgl1-nvidia-alternatives-ia32      280.13.really.275.36-1         simplifies replacing MESA libGL with GPU vendor libraries (32-bit)
ii  libgl1-nvidia-glx                    290.10-1                       NVIDIA binary OpenGL libraries
rc  libgl1-nvidia-legacy-173xx-glx-ia32  173.14.31-1                    NVIDIA binary OpenGL 32-bit libraries (173xx legacy version)
ii  libglx-nvidia-alternatives           290.10-1                       transition libgl.so diversions to glx-alternative-nvidia
ii  libnvidia-compiler                   290.10-1                       NVIDIA runtime compiler library
ii  libnvidia-ml1                        290.10-1                       NVIDIA management library (NVML) runtime library
ii  nvidia-alternative                   290.10-1                       allows the selection of NVIDIA as GLX provider
ii  nvidia-glx                           290.10-1                       NVIDIA metapackage
ii  nvidia-installer-cleanup             20111111+2                     Cleanup after driver installation with the nvidia-installer
ii  nvidia-kernel-common                 20111111+2                     NVIDIA binary kernel module support files
ii  nvidia-kernel-dkms                   290.10-1                       NVIDIA binary kernel module DKMS source
ii  nvidia-libopencl1                    290.10-1                       NVIDIA OpenCL library
ii  nvidia-opencl-common                 290.10-1                       NVIDIA OpenCL driver
ii  nvidia-opencl-icd                    290.10-1                       NVIDIA OpenCL ICD
ii  nvidia-settings                      290.10-1                       Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
ii  nvidia-smi                           290.10-1                       NVIDIA System Management Interface
ii  nvidia-support                       20111111+2                     NVIDIA binary graphics driver support files
ii  nvidia-vdpau-driver                  290.10-1                       NVIDIA vdpau driver
ii  nvidia-xconfig                       290.10-1                       X configuration tool for non-free NVIDIA drivers
ii  xserver-xorg-video-nvidia            290.10-1                       NVIDIA binary Xorg driver

Quantum

#3 Post by Quantum »

libgl1-nvidia-glx-ia32

Quantum

#4 Post by Quantum »

Why, you're WELCOME!

Canisaur

#5 Post by Canisaur »

Quantum wrote:Why, you're WELCOME!
Sorry, but I wasn't able to try this (nor do I remember if I tried that package already and got the same xorg package conflict) because I switched to Xubuntu after days of fiddling with Debian. I realize I was using the Testing branch, so I'm not complaining that it didn't work, but since I couldn't get it working I switched to something that did work.

So yes, thank you for your suggestion, but it came too late for me. Hopefully it helps someone else who comes here with the same problem.

vbrummond

#6 Post by vbrummond »

I successfully simulated installing "nvidia-glx-ia32" on wheezy.

0 upgraded, 31 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Always on Debian Testing

sgtrock

Re: [SOLVED] Nvidia 64-bit vs 32-bit driver conflict

#7 Post by sgtrock »

Quantum, your suggestion doesn't look correct if you want the latest available Nvidia drivers (like me):

$ sudo apt-get install libgl1-nvidia-glx-ia32
[sudo] password: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  libgl1-nvidia-alternatives-ia32 nvidia-kernel-2.6.32-5-amd64
Recommended packages:
  nvidia-kernel-195.36.31
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libgl1-nvidia-glx nvidia-glx xserver-xorg-video-nvidia
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libgl1-nvidia-alternatives-ia32 libgl1-nvidia-glx-ia32 nvidia-kernel-2.6.32-5-amd64
0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 3 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 10.6 MB of archives.
After this operation, 7,324 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
The thing is, the packages that this removes are required for nvidia-kernel-source version 280.13-really-275.36-1~bpo60+2. Instead, it wants to replace them with nvidia packages for version 195.36.31. That's a pretty old driver set that doesn't support my GTX550 very well. Any thoughts on how best to deal with this?

TIA

Edit: Forgot to note that this is on a squeeze install with squeeze backports enabled:

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free #Added by software-properties

deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free #Added by software-properties

# squeeze-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable-updates main
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable-updates main

# backports for squeeze
deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main contrib non-free
Never mind. I forgot to include the backports, didn't I? Sigh.
sudo apt-get install -t squeeze-backports ...