Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Post your booting time

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Lou

Post your booting time

#1 Post by Lou »

Now that i'm using Etch, it seems to me my box boots faster. I clocked it, and from beginning to end (inside the X system) it's 1 minute and 5 seconds, before was something like 1:24 .
Devuan Jessie - IceWM - vimperator - no DM
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid

utrrrongeeb

#2 Post by utrrrongeeb »

I'm using Sarge, and it takes 45-50 seconds to get to the GDM login screen. However, I have some unused daemons running that I haven't yet got around to configuring (postgresql, exim, apache, etc.).
utrrrongeeb formerly lecaro
Art #429775 on 'Etch' 4.0r0

sargek

#3 Post by sargek »

Using Etch and I can get to my Gnome desktop in just under a minute - that includes typing my username, password and "startx". The only faster boot time I've ever had was using the CRUX distro. Even Gentoo was way slower at boot.

garrincha

#4 Post by garrincha »

I have been using Etch from the beginning. Thanks to a good advice from an experienced Knoppix user.

I use almost the same PC processing power as you Lou: PII clocking at 350mHZ and 128M RAM. From the debian grub boot to the login screen, it just took 45 seconds, at most 50 secs. Before, the PC was running Windows 98SE platform which took ages to boot up and very often crash and there were a lot of blue screens of death. Thankfully, since my first installation of Etch, I had ZERO crash and instability problems.
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

Lou

#5 Post by Lou »

This is what i show enabled in sysvconfig:

apmd
exim4
fetchmail
firehol
killprocs
klogd
makedev
modutils
openbsd-inetd
rc.local
stop-bootlogd
sysklogd
umountfs
umountfs.sh
umountroot
urandom

I did not touch the ones that say 'Don't mess with this'

Is there something i can disable of this list?

firehol is my firewall if you're wondering.

rickh

#6 Post by rickh »

From Grub to Desktop is about 40 seconds. ... auto-login thru gdm.

Unless you're actually running a mail server, you don't need exim4
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

Lou

#7 Post by Lou »

rickh wrote:From Grub to Desktop is about 40 seconds. ... auto-login thru gdm.
I clocked it again, and it takes 48 secs to the login.
Hmm, i don't know much about this, but IIRC, you need something, be it Postfix, Exim, etc, and something to get it from there, like fetchmail, and then a mail app like mutt or t-bird, or whatever. Like i said i'm not an expert. What do you use? Do you get your mail without exim/postfix/sendmail what? or maybe sendmail does not apply here.

Can somebody clarify this?

DeanLinkous

#8 Post by DeanLinkous »

I do not install any mail system....

Lou

#9 Post by Lou »

So, do you only use webmail?

hcgtv

#10 Post by hcgtv »

On my AMD64 laptop, Etch goes from Grub to GDM in less than 30 seconds.

Very fast, faster than Ubuntu Dapper or Edgy on the same machine. This is a default install of Etch with the Desktop picked at time of install.

I could probably get the the times down if I start looking at what starts up, I did see a lot of daemons starting that I would probably not be using.
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard

thamarok

#11 Post by thamarok »

Etch/Sid.. heavily modified and one of the craziest things done (for example, I managed to rename the root account succesfully and everything works fine!)

Booting time is about 20 seconds... but if I boot with my Gamepad Configuration, it takes about 30 seconds..

Cheers

craigevil

#12 Post by craigevil »

Host/Kernel/OS "craigevil" running Linux 2.6.18.5-slh-up-1 i686 [ Debian Sid ]
CPU Info AMD Duron clocked at [ 1800.096 MHz ]
Videocard nVidia NV34 [GeForce FX 5500] X.Org 7.1.1 [ 1024x768 @75hz ]
Processes 86 | Uptime 1day | Memory 622.902/629.402MB | HDD Size 80GB (29%used) | GLX Renderer GeForce FX 5500/AGP/SSE/3DNOW! | GLX Version 2.0.2 NVIDIA 87.76 | Client Shell | Infobash v2.53

Services that boot in init 5: ( i have kdm set to only start in init 5 not 2-5)
kdm
acpid
atd
gpm
guarddog
klogd
makedev
privoxy
sysklogd

Cold boot to KDE desktop takes 30-35 seconds.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

Grifter

#13 Post by Grifter »

lou, www.linuxbios.org to cut down the boot time (:

a bunch of new amd machines coming out soon will actually ship with it from manufacturer
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

Lou

#14 Post by Lou »

Thanks Grifter!

sargek

#15 Post by sargek »

Hmm, i don't know much about this, but IIRC, you need something, be it Postfix, Exim, etc, and something to get it from there, like fetchmail, and then a mail app like mutt or t-bird, or whatever. Like i said i'm not an expert. What do you use? Do you get your mail without exim/postfix/sendmail what? or maybe sendmail does not apply here.

Can somebody clarify this?
Client mail apps (mail user agents) like t-bird, sylpheed or evolution do not need mail systems at all to function. They use the smtp and pop servers provided by your ISP. I have been running Linux for 10 years and have been happily checking and sending my mail without sendmail, exim4, fetchmail, getmail, etc...

Lou

#16 Post by Lou »

Client mail apps (mail user agents) like t-bird, sylpheed or evolution do not need mail systems at all to function. They use the smtp and pop servers provided by your ISP. I have been running Linux for 10 years and have been happily checking and sending my mail without sendmail, exim4, fetchmail, getmail, etc...
That's true. The thing is, i use mutt or pine because they are faster. And i took exim4 from the list (sysvconfig), and the mail didn't work, so i put it back. Exim4 comes with the debian install by default, so maybe users are using it without realizing it. As for smtp you have to put your isp address when configuring it for smtp or pop3. We all have done it so, but t-bird got so slow, because of my hardware and memory limitations, i had to go to mutt.

ethyrdude

#17 Post by ethyrdude »

Boot time: 650 Duron: Total time from power on to desktop completely loaded: 1 min, 15-50 sec, depends on manager, Unstable. Using a manual login because I prefer it.

Breakdown:
25 seconds while MB does POST, and grub finally loads. Hit enter before 3 second grub wait, yes I could reduce it or eliminate it but why?

45 seconds for kernel 2.6.19 to load, all sound card, video card and network card drivers not needed have been unchecked. Don't need ipv6 so that is gone also. Iptables are supported, Every time I compile a new kernel, I remove ONE item, I think I don't need. This time includes loading xdm which has been customized, changed some colors and included a background image. Use HTTP gmail so don't need exim4.

After login:
5 seconds for fluxbox
20 seconds for xfce
30 seconds for Gnome
40 seconds (or more) for kde, depends on music at startup.

I use xdm for fluxbox or xfce, kdm for Gnome or KDE. Xdm not as easy to use as kdm but I have no problems with it.

sargek

#18 Post by sargek »

Lou wrote:
That's true. The thing is, i use mutt or pine because they are faster. And i took exim4 from the list (sysvconfig), and the mail didn't work, so i put it back. Exim4 comes with the debian install by default, so maybe users are using it without realizing it. As for smtp you have to put your isp address when configuring it for smtp or pop3. We all have done it so, but t-bird got so slow, because of my hardware and memory limitations, i had to go to mutt.
Funny you should mention that - I love the functionality and interface of t-bird and evo, but they are so bloated, especially evo. I have been using Sylpheed for several years now, and it is very lightweight. Not as lightweight as mutt, but it works really well. The only thing that's funky with it is it wraps URLs in html emails making them unusable, and it uses MH format for the mailboxes, so all of your mails are "one per file". No big deal, it's just that most other mailers use MBOX or MAILDIR.

Exim4 is like sendmail, right? I've only set up sendmail, fetchmail and procmail a couple of times when I was playing around with mutt, but I've never experiemented with anything else.

Lou

#19 Post by Lou »

sargek wrote: Exim4 is like sendmail, right? I've only set up sendmail, fetchmail and procmail a couple of times when I was playing around with mutt, but I've never experiemented with anything else.
Yeah, sendmail, exim4, and postfix do the same. Fetchmail, getmail retrieves the mail from one of the above, and mutt, sylpheed or t-bird, etc displays it.

ethyrdude

#20 Post by ethyrdude »

As you may or may not know, I did a small set of upgrades on Jan 25, 2007 and afterwards, I decided to set up my computer as a dual boot system, there are a few programs I need windows for, so rather than bug my wife to use her computer, I now can boot Debian or WindowsXP. I decided to do a fresh Debian install, as I changed a couple of things that my kernel didn't support and I wanted to blow away some of the crap I installed but didn't use any more. I moved my data to safe place and proceeded to blow away my old install. I decided to download a new netinstall iso, I couldn't find one for unstable so I downloaded the new etch installer, it's getting there but there are much nicer ones, mepis and Mandrake or whatever the free one is called now.

Still, I was up and running in less than two hours, including upgrading to unstable, but I didn't select desktop when I installed, I wanted to install Xfce4 without adding the bloat of kde or gnome, except for those programs I want. Once done, I had to time my new install and computer.

From button press on to login takes 30 seconds but I'm not using any gui for the login. once I log in, it takes 2 seconds to show the user prompt. I then type in "startxfce4" which I will automate later and 12 seconds later Xfce4 is fully loaded. I was using Fluxbox and DR17 (Enlightenment) but I decided to go with the mouse.

Oh yes, I almost forgot, I had a much easier time reinstalling Debian than I did installing Windows.
Cancel or Allow?
Is that the new "Yes, No, or All"?