Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Samba Share Problem

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
burnsmicro

Samba Share Problem

#1 Post by burnsmicro »

After successfully apt-gett’ing samba and smbfs, I am still unable to mount a file from a WindowsXP PC on to a (Debian Lenny) Linux Arm based SBC (Single Board Computer), following the instructions at http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/Filesystem ... ently.html:

Code: Select all

mount -t smb //server/share /mount/point -o username=xxxxxx,password=xxxxxx
  • //server/share is the address of the directory on the WindowsPC: //192.168.2.103/workspace ..with sharing enabled
  • /mount/point is the location on the Linux SBC where we want to see the shared directory: /home/eclipse
  • username: Sign-on username for WindowsPC
  • password: Sign-on password for WindowsPC
This translates to:

mount -t smb //192.168.2.106/workspace /home/eclipse -o username=Bob,password= BobsWinPassword
But, this and the following variations do not work:

ts7500:~# mount -t smb //192.168.2.106/workspace /home/eclipse username=Bob,password= BobsWinPassword
Usage: mount -V                 : print version
    :

ts7500:~# mount -t smbfs //192.168.2.106/workspace /home/eclipse username=Bob,password= BobsWinPassword
Usage: mount -V                 : print version
   :

ts7500:~# smbmount //192.168.2.106/workspace /home/eclipse username=Bob,password= BobsWinPassword
Password: BobsLinuxPassword
mount error: cifs filesystem not supported by the system
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
Can someone please point me in the right direction?

pendrachken

Re: Samba Share Problem

#2 Post by pendrachken »

Get an ARM kernel for your board that has the CIFS module.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

burnsmicro

#3 Post by burnsmicro »

Not so easy:

ts7500:~# apt-get install cifs
   :
E: Couldn't find package cifs
I Googled "apt get cifs" to see if I had the wrong name. in http://petio.org/tools/cifs.html I was instructed to "apt-get install smbfs" which I have already apt-got. The implication being that CIFS is included in smbfs. Then it instructed me to mount the WinPC file per:

# mount -t cifs //SERVER/SHARE /media/share -o user=jay,pass=password
..which was not acceptable, resulting in a dump od Usage instructions.

Any other suggestions?

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Yes.
pendrachken wrote:Get an ARM kernel for your board that has the CIFS module.
You have the userspace tools, but it seems your kernel does not include cifs support.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

BowCatShot

#5 Post by BowCatShot »

Here's one that works for me:

sudo mount -t smbfs -o username=meandwife,password=ourdrive1,uid=myid,rw,gid=myid //192.168.5.98/"goflex home public" /home/myid/MyGoflex

Although this drive is a standalone network addressable drive having a fixed ip address. I access it from both windows and linux.

burnsmicro

#6 Post by burnsmicro »

In follow up to
pendrachken wrote:Get an ARM kernel for your board that has the CIFS module.
..does this mean one must build (or find someone who knows how to build) an ARM kernel for our Technologic board that has the CIFS? Or, put another way, one cannot add this capability by apt-get'ting it?

As for the advice to "RTFM", may I ask which manual(s)? Do you mean the samba(7), smbpasswd(8), swat(8), smbd(8), smb.conf(5), nmbd(8), smbclient(1), nmblookup(1), testparm(1), testprns(1) Man's? While "cursory reading of the FM" may be the answer for someone with a fair amount of Linux expertise, it has been unhelpful in my case.

I suppose my problem is I would like to mount a file from my development PC on ny linux SBC. But, I know so little about file sharing that I do not know what questions to ask or how to ask them.

I feel as if I am caught in a catch 22: I lack the critical mass of Linux knowledge and experience to ask questions and fully understand the answers given by people with more Linux experience than I will ever have, with the result that my lack of knowledge is irritating some individuals on this forum. All I can say is I am finding it quite diffcult to acquire this critical mass of Linux knowledge. Please bear with me.

pendrachken

#7 Post by pendrachken »

Yes, you need to compile an arm kernel that supports cifs and has the drivers needed for your board. Right now your kernel can't understand the cifs FS even though you have the userland smbmount.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

burnsmicro wrote:As for the advice to "RTFM", may I ask which manual(s)? Do you mean the samba(7), smbpasswd(8), swat(8), smbd(8), smb.conf(5), nmbd(8), smbclient(1), nmblookup(1), testparm(1), testprns(1) Man's? While "cursory reading of the FM" may be the answer for someone with a fair amount of Linux expertise, it has been unhelpful in my case.
Don't worry about that, it's just a sig :lol:
Did you also resolve to have an interesting life and use the metric system? :D
I suppose my problem is I would like to mount a file from my development PC on ny linux SBC. But, I know so little about file sharing that I do not know what questions to ask or how to ask them.
OK. In that case you don't need cifs, there are other options, notably ssh.
Doint it from your 'dev box' (windows?) use scp (included with PuTTy) or an SFTP client like filezilla.
Alternatively you can install openssh server on windows too if you want to pull it from the server end.

burnsmicro

#9 Post by burnsmicro »

pendrachken wrote:OK. In that case you don't need cifs, there are other options, notably ssh.
Doint it from your 'dev box' (windows?) use scp (included with PuTTy) or an SFTP client like filezilla.
Alternatively you can install openssh server on windows too if you want to pull it from the server end.
This sounds promising. I will have to read up on openssh for Windows, to allow the SBC to pull the exec file.

Dreaming in Techicolor, I would like to have a script on the Linux SBC that I could run from a telnet or SSH terminal on my Win Development PC. This [SBC] script would:
  • Copy the executable binary from the WinPC/workspace/myproject/Debug
  • Launch gdbserver on the SBC
This would allow me to effortlessly run the program in the TCEclipse debugger.

This would involve an additional copy compared to a shared file: From the WinPC's folder to the SBC's flash memory, then, from there to its SRAM for execution. It would be a little slower than copying the exec from the WinPC's shared folder directly into the SBC's RAM for execution. But it would be faster than what I do now: switch from TSEclipse to FTP, copy the file to the SBC, wait for the copy to complete and then switch to a telnet terminal to launch gdbserver, and then go back to TSEclipe and launch the Eclipse debugger.

The advantage of this approach is I need not launch a career in CIFS and another in kernel building. I just need to launch a career in openssh for Windows ;o)

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Another option, if you have IIS on the Win box (or any other small installable httpd would do), would be to have your dev folder available via http and use wget as part of the script on your SBC.

brian.va

#11 Post by brian.va »

try installing cifs-utils and replace smbfs with cifs in your mount command

burnsmicro

#12 Post by burnsmicro »

brian.va wrote:try installing cifs-utils and replace smbfs with cifs in your mount command
Thanks, but no joy:

ts7500:~# apt-get install cifs-utils
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package cifs-utils
Could it be because Debian Lenny is a pretty old distribution?

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

It's in lenny-backports according to http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=cifs-utils

However it's still never going to work without kernel support for the filesystem ...

burnsmicro

#14 Post by burnsmicro »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:It's in lenny-backports according to http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=cifs-utils

However it's still never going to work without kernel support for the filesystem ...
Thanks for saving me from chasing up yet another dead end.