Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Ipod & Etch

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
ericz

Ipod & Etch

#1 Post by ericz »

Rythmbox sees it perfectly. Listen to Ipod tunes on Rythmbox no problem. Mp4's another issue, but can convert them.

-eric
Etch 2.6.18-3-amd64
AMD64 X2 @ 2.6
Asus Crosshair
2056 RAM
Turtle Beach Riviera

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#2 Post by mzilikazi »

I really like Yamipod for dumping files onto my wife's ipod. It's crossplatform and IMHO far more useful than the itunes interface. You can actually run Yamipod directly from your ipod.

ericz

AMD64?

#3 Post by ericz »

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I went to the site, got the file, opened it, read the readme about the lib file. Extracted it into my home dir, copied the file to if I remember right /usr/lib and clicked the binary.

Nothing.

I wonder if it's one of those 32 bit / 64 bit things or do you have to run it from the command line?

-eric
Etch 2.6.18-3-amd64
AMD64 X2 @ 2.6
Asus Crosshair
2056 RAM
Turtle Beach Riviera

Hygelac

#4 Post by Hygelac »

You might find this interesting:
http://www.rockbox.org/
Once you replace Apple's firmware you can dump files to it with a regular file manager, and you'll be able to play Vorbis and some other good stuff too. :mrgreen:

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

Re: AMD64?

#5 Post by mzilikazi »

ericz wrote: I wonder if it's one of those 32 bit / 64 bit things or do you have to run it from the command line?

-eric
Well anytime an app doesn't 'just work' it's always a good idea to attempt to launch it from command line. I had to install libstdc++5 before yamipod would work. libstdc++6 did not work.

sleepyEDB

#6 Post by sleepyEDB »

I have found gtkpod to work well. It may not be the 'prettiest' application by default, but it appears to be skinnable.

The only drawback I've found thus far is that it doesn't seem to be able to transfer videos to my 30Gb Video iPod. Does anyone know of a non-iTunes Linux-friendly app that can?

sleepy
"The road of life is rocky, and you may stumble too. While you point your finger, someone else is judging you." --Bob Marley

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#7 Post by mzilikazi »

sleepyEDB wrote: The only drawback I've found thus far is that it doesn't seem to be able to transfer videos to my 30Gb Video iPod. Does anyone know of a non-iTunes Linux-friendly app that can?

sleepy
yamipod does not work?
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

sleepyEDB

#8 Post by sleepyEDB »

I can't even get Yamipod to open. I copied the necessary library into /usr/lib as indicated on the website. I start the binary from the command line, and it prompts me to connect my iPod I do so, and then it tells me there were two iPods found, and to pick one. (It just says 'ipod' twice in a list, so I picked the first one.) Then it wants me to choose my iPod generation, so I select iPod Video. It says 'Calculating playback times...20% complete', but it just hangs there forever.

I checked the Yamipod forums, and found that this was a known issue about a year ago, but was reported to be fixed, so I'm not sure why it's not working for me.

To be truthful to the forum, I tried this on my Mepis box, not on Etch. Just wanted to get that in the open before this went much further. ;)

sleepy
"The road of life is rocky, and you may stumble too. While you point your finger, someone else is judging you." --Bob Marley