Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Etch not getting closer :)

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Lou

Etch not getting closer :)

#1 Post by Lou »

" With the new openSUSE release safely behind us, the focus of DistroWatch will now turn to the upcoming release of Debian GNU/Linux 4.0, code name "Etch". Unfortunately, the original plan of completing its development by December 4th did not bring the desired result; that's despite the controversial Dunc-Tank experiment which provided full-time employment for one month to two Debian release managers who were reportedly paid US$6,000 each to ensure that Etch was out on time. Worse, the new release is nowhere near its completion; the promised second release candidate of the Debian Installer, inclusive of the updated kernel 2.6.18 (which, incidentally, is already in Etch), has yet to be released, while the expected full freeze of the testing branch is still not in effect (update: 15 minutes after posting this issue of DWW, Andreas Barth announced that Etch was frozen). With the release critical bug count well above 100 and the upcoming holiday period, it doesn't look like the new release will be out before January. If you can't wait, one good way of passing the time is to read New Features and other interesting stuff in Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 "Etch".

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20061211
Devuan Jessie - IceWM - vimperator - no DM
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid

Grifter

#2 Post by Grifter »

When will lenny be introduced?
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

DeanLinkous

#3 Post by DeanLinkous »

We should place bets on the release date! :) I got 5 bucks that says we get a stable release on the second week of February.

hcgtv

#4 Post by hcgtv »

For me, Etch is stable already, I have it running on two machines and I have no problems to report.

One of the machines is a server where I'm doing testing of my web apps in preparation for upgrading my VPS to Etch. What a difference the newer versions of MySQL and PHP are making, though it took a bit to get used to the new configs. I'm already running Apache2 on the VPS, I figured I'd get used to it early on so it wasn't so much of a shock going towards Etch.

The second machine is my laptop that I've got tweaked pretty good by now, very responsive, I guess it being an AMD64 and having 1GB of memory goes a long way for the snappiness.

So I'm not in such a hurry for an Etch stable release, this gives me the holidays to take it easy and continue to prepare. As for when Etch will be officially dubbed stable - February if all goes well but I wouldn't be surprised to see it stretch into March.
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard

Harold

#5 Post by Harold »

" With the new openSUSE release safely behind us, the focus of DistroWatch will now turn to the upcoming release of Debian GNU/Linux 4.0, code name "Etch"...

And this means what?

DeanLinkous

#6 Post by DeanLinkous »

Harold wrote:" With the new openSUSE release safely behind us, the focus of DistroWatch will now turn to the upcoming release of Debian GNU/Linux 4.0, code name "Etch"...

And this means what?
I didn't understand that statement either? :?

Grifter

#7 Post by Grifter »

Maybe they have nothing better to do? (:
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

garrincha

#8 Post by garrincha »

Last edited by garrincha on 2006-12-11 18:53, edited 1 time in total.
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

thamarok

#9 Post by thamarok »

Sooner or later Etch has to come out..... just waat and enjoy the current testing..

hcgtv

#10 Post by hcgtv »

These are going to take a while to get resolved:

http://bts.turmzimmer.net/details.php?bydist=etch

nepoez

Etch is great

#11 Post by nepoez »

I've been using etch for almost a year now. As a J2EE server and also on my laptop. I've never had any trouble except for that time when Xorg or something had a big upgrade and apt just couldn't handle the update automatically..

Other than that glitch(which was pretty messy actually) everything else was fine this past year.

I'd consider it stable!

ghostdawg

#12 Post by ghostdawg »

I just installed a debian amd32 etch and upgraded it to sid and at the login prompt, it show debian 4.0...not quite sure what that means.

It is a netinst.

Thnx.
Last edited by ghostdawg on 2006-12-24 03:45, edited 1 time in total.

hcgtv

#13 Post by hcgtv »

I was on Sid when the Xorg upgrades started, it was the biggest problem I encountered, so I can relate to what you're saying.

I remember when there was an Xorg upgrade that broke my Nvidia display driver, something about minor version or something to that effect. I had to Google around to find a solution which was a command line switch to ignore driver compatibility.

Then I happened on the Ubuntu forums, I was testing Dapper on my laptop at the time, they were going crazy over there. Here were users accustomed to getting a graphical signon and all they were getting was a cold command line with a blinking cursor. What I couldn't believe was how quickly Ubuntu had uploaded a Sid based deb into their stable repository.

nepoez

ubuntu

#14 Post by nepoez »

Actually before I started using debian I started off with ubuntu. Thought it was the best thing ever for a while. After some time the package repos seemed to have gotten corrupt and I couldn't do anything to update my packages, aside from that I decided I wanted something I can make as light as I want. That's when I switched to debian. I figured ubuntu was great, debian must be something real awesome to have such a good branch, but without the bulk I don't need. I decided to go for the original.

I was right, and although I still continued trying other distros, even tried FreeBSD(that's another story all together). But I couldn't justify using anything else other than debian. The only reason I would use anything else would be solely for curiousity and fun.

Things just work on ubuntu but things also seem to break after some time. Maybe I'm just a newbie for saying that. But that just shows that debian is good enough even for newbies!