Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Enlightenment DR17

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
garrincha

#41 Post by garrincha »

mzilikazi wrote:
garrincha wrote: E17 is indeed much better than E16. At first glance, E17 seems to be slightly "bloated" but it is not and it is quite fast amazingly.
Just keep a spare window manager around for those times when it suddenly goes alpha on you. ;)
Actually I installed E17 on the old second disk drive. In any case, I usually use fluxbox in my current linux box and occasionally E16. I'll just experiment with E17 though.

By the way, I'll check later but does the E17 allows for menu update/regeneration? I also have fluxbox installed in the same linux box as E17 but it is not showing my debian menu for example in E17.
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#42 Post by mzilikazi »

garrincha wrote: By the way, I'll check later but does the E17 allows for menu update/regeneration? I also have fluxbox installed in the same linux box as E17 but it is not showing my debian menu for example in E17.
The Debian menu is supposed to work but my personal experience is that it does so only sometimes. Not sure why that happens. My solution was to simply put my most frequently used apps on the ibar, customize my menu and use the very excellent run dialog. Check it out!
ALT+ESC

S1NGH

#43 Post by S1NGH »

Alright, back again.

I got everything to work and i customized it to the way i wanted it to work and look, so i changed themes and login theme, so now i can't login with my normal account into enlightenment and i tried changing the environment to Gnome, but that too didn't help, although i can log in with root.

So it there a way i can reset the settings for enlightenment with my other user account? Right now i am locked out and only able to login with root with any environment whereas i can't with the other account.

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#44 Post by mzilikazi »

S1NGH wrote:Alright, back again.

I got everything to work and i customized it to the way i wanted it to work and look, so i changed themes and login theme, so now i can't login with my normal account into enlightenment and i tried changing the environment to Gnome, but that too didn't help, although i can log in with root.

So it there a way i can reset the settings for enlightenment with my other user account? Right now i am locked out and only able to login with root with any environment whereas i can't with the other account.
What login manager? Try this:
Switch to a VT

Code: Select all

CTRL+ALT+F1

/etc/init.d/gdm stop
Now su to your user

su <username>
Start E17 from command line:

startx /usr/bin/enlightenment_start
If you can start E17 this way then the problem must lie with your login manager.
If you're using Entrance I would suggest switching back to GDM or KDM or whatever you prefer.

S1NGH

#45 Post by S1NGH »

hey thanks again mzilikazi!

it worked but i had to also key in the following commands:

/etc/init.d/entrance stop
cheers!

garrincha

Re: Transparent terms & such for E17

#46 Post by garrincha »

mzilikazi wrote:You can use fake transparency in your terminals w/ esetroot but that's a bit of a hassle. Instead I like to use the Photo module to set the wallpaper which simutaneously sets the background for fake transparency.

apt-get install emodule0-photo
So, add the photo module to a shelf, configure it and set a wallpaper. Now fire up a terminal and set transparency to Yes. It should work. This also works for conky. Heres a screen.
mzilikazi, I couldn't get the transparency to work in rxvt-unicode and aterm terminal, using photo module in E17.

The transparency worked fine in fluxbox but in E17, all I got was a kind of gray pixel-like background similar to the X screen just before the session login manager come on. I assumed from your screenshot that you're using gnome terminal? I don't want to use gnome terminal as it is slightly bloated.
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#47 Post by mzilikazi »

garrincha wrote:I assumed from your screenshot that you're using gnome terminal? I don't want to use gnome terminal as it is slightly bloated.
Nope that's xfce4-terminal. It's fast, has lots of features and isn't bloated. I configure my ephoto0-modules like so:
Right click the photo modules (after adding it to a shelf of course)
Configure Photo Module
Left click>Next picture
Middle click>Set as background

You must also feed some photos or wallpapers to the module.
Reload Picture Directories

Then just click w/ middle button on ephot0-module to set wallpaper. After the first time it should just work.

garrincha

#48 Post by garrincha »

mzilikazi wrote: Nope that's xfce4-terminal. It's fast, has lots of features and isn't bloated. I configure my ephoto0-modules like so:
Right click the photo modules (after adding it to a shelf of course)
Configure Photo Module
Left click>Next picture
Middle click>Set as background

You must also feed some photos or wallpapers to the module.
Reload Picture Directories

Then just click w/ middle button on ephot0-module to set wallpaper. After the first time it should just work.
Thanks mzilikaz. I could have swore that I did all of these steps last night when I was trying to make a transparent terminal in E17. I will check back later.

hcgtv

#49 Post by hcgtv »

The script I use to compile e17 just got updated:

https://omicron.homeip.net/?blog_id=44

Grab it here:

https://omicron.homeip.net/projects/#easy_e17.sh

I really like the new --update switch, just compiles what was changed in CVS.

What I've always liked about this script is that it keeps track of what has compiled in the current run. This way if dependency problem arises, you can go do an apt-get install and re-run the script and it picks up where it left off.
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard

garrincha

#50 Post by garrincha »

I came across this article while googling, it is a really good article about the DR17/E17 Enlightenment window manager. It is from the May 2006 issue #66 of Linux Magazine. There is an instruction for installing DR17/E17 in Debian/Sid (from the soulmachine repository) in the box on page 2:

pdf file:

http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/66/ ... Review.pdf

Enjoy! 8)
Last edited by garrincha on 2007-01-02 19:33, edited 1 time in total.

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#51 Post by mzilikazi »

I used the soulmachine repo long long ago before the edevlop repo was up. Is soulmachine still maintained?
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

hcgtv

#52 Post by hcgtv »

mzilikazi, the soulmachine repo is not maintained, the current one is the one at edevelop.org.

Sid seems to be the only one though: http://edevelop.org/debian/dists/sid/

garrincha

#53 Post by garrincha »

mzilikazi wrote:I used the soulmachine repo long long ago before the edevlop repo was up. Is soulmachine still maintained?
I have no idea as I have never used the soulmachine's repo. However, I'm using the edevelop.org's repo which seems to keep up with the updates. Some of my installations for E17 were upgraded today, I suspected that these were mostly bugs as I had a couple of them.

The article in my above post however is dated May 2006, so the edevelop.org must be in full active service if soulmachine is no longer maintained as hcgtv mentioned.

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#54 Post by mzilikazi »

garrincha wrote:Some of my installations for E17 were upgraded today, I suspected that these were mostly bugs as I had a couple of them.
Falco has an automated build for E17 cvs. Usually we see 2 or 3 upgrades per week from edevelop. Sometimes it's worse than before! :) Usually it is an improvement.
Debian Sid Laptops:

hcgtv

#55 Post by hcgtv »

Here's a good site to determine what has changed in CVS:
http://cia.navi.cx/stats/project/e

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

Automount USB media in E17.

#56 Post by mzilikazi »

You might already be familiar w/ pmount & ivman. It's a great way to automount your USB keys & such. Let me say that I only automount USB keys - I detest it when cd's &dvd's get automatically mounted.

ivman is *supposed* to be working when you log into your desktop, well for whatever reason it does not on e17. There might be less convoluted ways of getting this done but it works. Here's how to make it happen:

apt-get install ivman rox-filer
You need the following 3 scripts. Put them all in ~/Scripts.
Be sure to change both instances of <USERNAME> to your actual username!

~/Scripts/startup.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=startup script
Comment=Programming editor
Exec=/home/<USERNAME>/Scripts/startup.sh
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/Sci48M.png
Categories=Application;Development;
~/Scripts/startup.sh

#!/bin/sh
xmodmap -e 'remove Lock = Caps_Lock'
numlockx on
nvidia-settings -l
conky&
/home/<USERNAME>/Scripts/ivman.sh

~/Scripts/ivman.sh

if pgrep -U $USER ivman >/dev/null 2>&1; then
 exit
  else
 exec ivman
fi
Now to get all of that to launch on login is pretty simple. Just create an .order file to launch your startup script:
~/.e/e/applications/startup/.order

/home/<USERNAME>/Scripts/startup.desktop
So what does all of this do?
On login ~/.e/e/applications/startup/.order is read. It points to
/home/<USERNAME>/Scripts/startup.desktop
Which in turn points to:
~/Scripts/startup.sh
Which executes anything in that file like numlock or xmodmap or even another script. If you want to start more or fewer things simply edit ~/Scripts/startup.sh. No need to change anything else. My startup.sh turns numlock on, disable the CAPS lock, starts nvidia settings and conky & executes the ivman.sh script.

*NOTE* The ivman.sh script checks to see if there is already an instance of ivman running as $USER and if not it then starts ivman otherwise it exits. The ivman.sh script was seperated from the ~/Scripts/startup.sh because it was misbehaving and giving unpredictable results.

If you've made it this far you're almost done. You just need to edit a simple text file that tells ivman what do do when a USB key is inserted.
~/.ivman/IvmConfigActions.xml
Add a section like so:

<!--start Rox filer when USB device is mounted-->
<ivm:Match name="hal.info.category" value="storage">
   <ivm:Match name="hal.storage.bus" value="usb">
         <ivm:Option name="exec" value="rox /media" />
      </ivm:Match>
   </ivm:Match>
</ivm:ActionsConfig>
So now try loggin out and back in, you should then have 2 instances of ivman running:

$ ps aux|grep ivman
ivman     4889  0.0  0.3   4616  1444 ?        Ss    2006   0:00 /usr/bin/ivman
glenn    19755  0.0  0.4   4492  1664 ?        S     2006   0:00 ivman
Ivman runs as user ivman on boot, then as user on login.

Go ahead and insert a USB key. If all is well you should have rox filer pop up and open to the /media directory. Your USB key will be mounted therein at perhaps usbdisk or similar. To umount the USB key is very simple. Back out of your mounted drive directory and from the /media dir
Right click your USB key mount point>Eject.

Voila! Rox goes away and your USB key is ready to be removed. To be safe please issue mount in a shell to make sure it is umounted before removing your key!

I encourage you to read the ~/.ivman/IvmConfigActions.xml. There is quite alot you can do with it. Obviously you are not required to use rox-filer but I have no idea how well any other file maanger works in this instance.
Debian Sid Laptops:

adi1334

#57 Post by adi1334 »

i say, e17 is in a class of its own ... most impressive, i've been using it for a couple of weeks now... sweet ....

garrincha

#58 Post by garrincha »

I have never tried it, but if you're interested in using Enlightenment E16 or E17 as your window manager for Gnome, instead of the default Metacity, here's a good HOWTO from the Ubuntu forum:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=54476&

And there is one for Xfce:

http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/EnlightenedXFCE

chameleon

DR17 on GDM login window

#59 Post by chameleon »

I have downloaded DR17 from;

deb http://www.edevelop.org/debian unstable main
How do I get it to show up on my GDM login screen? :?

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

Re: DR17 on GDM login window

#60 Post by mzilikazi »

chameleon wrote:I have downloaded DR17 from;

deb http://www.edevelop.org/debian unstable main
How do I get it to show up on my GDM login screen? :?
Did you do this:

apt-get update && apt-get install e17 e17-extras emodules0-all
If so there should be a file to start E17.

/usr/share/xsessions/enlightenment.desktop
Looks like this:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Enlightenment
Comment=Log in using Enlightenment (Version 0.16.999.035)
Type=XSession
<<<<<<< enlightenment.desktop.in
Exec=/usr/bin/enlightenment_start
TryExec=/usr/bin/enlightenment_start
=======
Icon=/usr/share/enlightenment/data/images/enlightenment.png
Exec=/usr/bin/enlightenment_start
TryExec=/usr/bin/enlightenment_start
>>>>>>> 1.4
Debian Sid Laptops: