Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Unable to resolve domain name using url

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
desidimer

Unable to resolve domain name using url

#1 Post by desidimer »

Hello Everybody,
This is my first installation of Debian Squeeze. While installing I configured it with domain name server2.ourdomain.com, with some help made it into a apache webserver
I have configured the ip settings for this server manually along with a dns entry. The dns ip entered on the debian server is the same that of my reduandant server ourdomain.com which is on a public ip. The debian server is up and running fine. When I try to open the page server2.ourdomain.com on any machine it returns the page of our main domain instead of the apache server page that says "It works" otherwise.

If I enter the ip and host name server2.ourdomain.com in hosts file ( windows\system32\drivers\etc ) in windows based machines the page opens up fine.
When I ping the debian server server2.ourdomain.com it returns the ip address of my reduandant server and not of the debian server.

Have no idea how to resolve this without making too many changes to my servers. Please help !

Thanks..

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Unable to resolve domain name using url

#2 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

You need an entry in your dns server so that your clients can correctly resolve your server2.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

desidimer

#3 Post by desidimer »

Thanks for the suggestion Sir. Will try it out and let you know. I also had this thing at the back of my mind that we can add the DNS server ip's to the existing server2.domain.com which is on debian. I have no clue how to do it though.

metal44

#4 Post by metal44 »

Hello,
Did you figure out how to do this? does your clients see server 2 now? I am also facing the same problem and need serious help. thanks