Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Last post

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
cynwulf

Re: Last post

#21 Post by cynwulf »

nadir wrote:I wasn't speaking of that thread, but of this one
To be honest I have to agree that "ganging up" is somewhat abhorrent, but I disagree that any of the replies before your first reply constitute "ganging up". I'd say that the first 5 replies independently poked fun at the overly dramatic tone of the post. I'm not saying that I agree with the posts but that the tone of the OP itself probably probably invited those types of responses - right or wrong.

The way I see it several members tried to help the OP - he ignored it. He made another thread to get help with his b0rked system without being willing to fix it properly - people advised him again - he ignored that. Now he makes a thread here complaining about his supposedly poor treatment... the result was always going to be - members poking fun - especially when you see the content of the OP here.

bw123

#22 Post by bw123 »

nadir wrote:not funny. They would have kicked him to death, but a priest stepped in (a single one against a crowd. With his bare hands he, the priest, protected a soldier from the mob (with clubs and all).
Sounds like a book I read once
http://www.enotes.com/topic/List_of_Fou ... Jord_Parma

Wow, that's not funny. You know I was just thinking that with all the stuff going on in the world it's amazing that people get along as well as they do on the forum here.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

dasein

#23 Post by dasein »

Wow.

Speaking from firsthand knowledge, I know that the OP gets plenty of answers, on multiple questions ranging from how to register a domain to how to use find (the latter on more than one occasion).

But then he gets some answers he didn't like. Mind you, those answers are entirely correct, even if he finds them distasteful. And yet, rather than saying, "Thanks for saving me from my own ignorance," he decides that he's going to make a dramatic exit and complain about being mistreated because thoughtful, knowledgeable people dared to discourage him from doing something Genuinely Stupid.

I repeat: Wow.

The phrase "Don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out" comes to mind.

cynwulf

#24 Post by cynwulf »

hhh wrote:
craigevil wrote:
If someone is on the ground, there is no need to kick him.
That is the perfect time to kick them. Repeatedly. :evil:
LMFAO! :lol: Seriously, that is freaking funny.
Is this more of what you were referring to in this thread?

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 56#p439454

62chevy

#25 Post by 62chevy »

Debian User Forums is not a Day Care Center. I'm not here to hold anyones hand and don't expect them to hold mine. So I guess I'm just wondering why all the hand wringing over one disguntled member that voiced his displeasure with this site. People who join this site need to keep in mind no one gets paid to answer anything plus half if not most of the members here are like me, other than IT pros.
Debian Buster

nadir

#26 Post by nadir »

bw123 wrote:
nadir wrote:not funny. They would have kicked him to death, but a priest stepped in (a single one against a crowd. With his bare hands he, the priest, protected a soldier from the mob (with clubs and all).
Sounds like a book I read once

I am not sure if i fully understand, cause there it says:
"appears to be a priest, but is really a member of the Korellian Secret Police sent to entrap Hober Mallow."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvUUBg4Xmho
Decide for yourself (it only shows a short version of the scene, and is mainly an interview).
And you then say:
Wow, that's not funny. You know I was just thinking that with all the stuff going on in the world it's amazing that people get along as well as they do on the forum here."
Which makes me think that i don't understand the link.
That is the perfect time to kick them. Repeatedly.
Just that we know what exactly we are talking about when saying "kicking someone repeatedly"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLu4Tln ... re=related
Like said: i doubt you meant something like that, craigevil, and even something far from that.
You might say it is not related at all, this is just a forum,no harm, etc. That is right. The thing i mean is: many against one. That attitude. And, like said: i never saw you as one of those people. Never.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

hhh

#27 Post by hhh »

cynwulf wrote:Is this more of what you were referring to in this thread?

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 56#p439454
Ugh, must... resist... responding...

Aw, fsck it.

No, they're two entirely different instances. From what I can tell (I only skimmed this guy's rant) he should have asked questions before "updating " his system, and when he was told that "ya' done messed up, boy", he through a tantrum. Kick that sucker to the stone age.

The Crunchbang guy asked if he was welcome here, and craigevil's immediate response was, essentially, "GTFO". Which is fine, he's a forum moderator, he is knowledgeable in computers and Debian, and he can conduct himself however the hell he wants, really.

But, look, when craigevil posted this question here...
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 6&start=30
... instead of taking the three minutes (Oh noes! Three whole minutes!) it took me to Google the answer, I could have said something smartass, like "why don't you fecking Google that, you moran (sic)" and started a whole negative vibe thing, right? But instead, it's "here's your answer", "awesome thanks. Over 100MB freed. :)", done. See what I'm saying?

In other words, when craig posted this...
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 54#p432300
... and a month and a half later he's still posting and still a moderator, should we ridicule him for being a drama queen (I'm tired of all the drama!) or just be glad that someone who knows something about Debian is moderating things?

-edit- BTW, huge difference between berating someone over the Internet and physically kicking someone, in case you didn't know.

bw123

#28 Post by bw123 »

nadir wrote: I am not sure if i fully understand, cause there it says:
"appears to be a priest, but is really a member of the Korellian Secret Police sent to entrap Hober Mallow."
Well, since the thread is already hijacked... I was thinking either:

A) You are taking up for the little guy like the priest, but why?
B) Linux is like atomics in Asimov's Foundation,
B2) Debian forum members are the priest class in Foundation,
C) Things are not always what they appear,
D) All of the above,
E) None of the above
resigned by AI ChatGPT

nadir

#29 Post by nadir »

bw123 wrote:
nadir wrote: I am not sure if i fully understand, cause there it says:
Well, since the thread is already hijacked... I was thinking either:

B) Linux is like atomics in Asimov's Foundation,
B2) Debian forum members are the priest class in Foundation,
C) Things are not always what they appear,
D) All of the above,
E) None of the above
that is an answer (or post) of my taste .... :-)
A) You are taking up for the little guy like the priest, but why?
That is not the point. He might be a priest or not. He might work for the secret police or not. He saved the life of a single human (and risking his own life by doing so). He stopped the mob (and it is shown in the video, and by the brutality shown i doubt that it is a fake).
That was the point.
Even if it was a fake there, such things did happen. They might happen seldom, but they do happen. Simply not joining the mob is what i mean (not everyone is a hero, and one doesn't need to be). The ones shouting for freedom and democracy doing exactly what the former terror regime did (and partly even worse). That was the point too. Me not believing in any group, nation, race, legion. That too.
The amount of brutality (verbal or non-verbal) does not matter. It is the attitude which scares me (the will to join a group to feel "strong").

And even if it was all a fake, and it does exist nowhere-never-ever, i will still keep on believing that it does. Because i want to.

"The dream of Raskolnikow"
so to speak. but that was a riddle...

JohnDeere730

#30 Post by JohnDeere730 »

The OP was/is not a fallen hero, being viciously pecked at by the mob, so enough with the don't kick him when he is down bullshit. When someone posts a "farewell/suicide post which in reality is just a whiny diatribe against some perceived "injustice", he/she deserves a full measure of ridicule. Damned drama queens anyway.

nadir

#31 Post by nadir »

The OP was/is not a fallen hero, being viciously pecked at by the mob, so enough with the don't kick him when he is down bullshit. When someone posts a "farewell/suicide post which in reality is just a whiny diatribe against some perceived "injustice", he/she deserves a full measure of ridicule. Damned drama queens anyway.
I didn't say that he is a hero, fallen or not. Neither did i say that he doesn't deserve it.
What i said: that if something has been said, it doesn't needed to be repeated.
If something has been said in 5 posts in a row, it doesn't need to be repeated for sure.
Each joke is funny exactly once.

bw123

#32 Post by bw123 »

nadir wrote: Simply not joining the mob is what i mean (not everyone is a hero, and one doesn't need to be). The ones shouting for freedom and democracy doing exactly what the former terror regime did (and partly even worse). That was the point too. Me not believing in any group, nation, race, legion.
Were kinder for you to verbally kick me before I anger the mob, than wait until they have me down on the ground so you can step in and save me.

I think it's great that Debian allows us to be individuals and there are as many ways to run it as there are users. People have the freedom to experiment, install whatever they want, and crash, trash or abuse their system any way they want. Package management is a complicated subject though, and it seems like a little democracy is a good idea here. Appears to me that most of the voters, and most of the documentation are opposed to running testing or unstable packages on stable.

I think it's great that the OP tried it anyway, because anybody can learn from his own mistakes.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#33 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Following on from the link to the fable, it seems an opportune moment to dust off this old chestnut ...
Last edited by dilberts_left_nut on 2012-06-18 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

nadir

#34 Post by nadir »

bw123 wrote:
nadir wrote: The o Simply not joining the mob is what i mean (not everyone is a hero, and one doesn't need to be)nes shouting for freedom and democracy doing exactly what the former terror regime did (and partly even worse). That was the point too. Me not believing in any group, nation, race, legion.
Were kinder for you to verbally kick me before I anger the mob, than wait until they have me down on the ground so you can step in and save me
a) Where did i attack you verbally?
b) Which mob is having at you, and where?
c) Where did i say i wanted to save anyone?

I said that i consider such group-behavior disgusting. That was all. If that is a verbal attack: OK (for the ones part of such groups it sure is) But it doesn't mean that i plan to save anyone, only that i don't plan to join such groups. Which is exactly what i have said
( and you quoted it yourself: " Simply not joining the mob is what i mean (not everyone is a hero, and one doesn't need to be").

I think it's great that Debian allows us to be individuals
Does it mean it is ok that i have my say, that i object, or shall i add a few silly and running-gag jokes too? It shouldn't be too hard to quote a bit of what i find here. Can i join then? Will i feel fuzzy and warm? Yes, i will.
It is warm in the crowd, but it stinks.
There:
Debian is not a hand holding distro. Don't let the door slap you in the back.
Better?

---
dilbert: replace the white-shirt-guy with a small boy, and we are more close to it. Cowards, strong in the middle of the gang only. Not able to stand on their own feet. Repeating what they consider to be cool. I said repeating. That is what i meant (it is not what you meant, obviously).

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#35 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Meh.
That has been around a long time and Debian has had that reputation for a long time.
Unjustly from my experience.

Maybe Debian attracts people with a certain 'sense of humour'.

Maybe it is a self-fulfilling prophecy?

Maybe those who see that are looking too hard for it and either sub or consiously find justification of their prejudices, their responses generating a feedback loop leading inevitably to the conclusion they were already expecting.

Text based communication is notably lacking in context, giving great scope for people to 'fill in the blanks' as suits their own position.

The world is not perfect.

At the end of the day this is only an anonymous internet forum, participation is by choice.
Take what you want, leave what you don't.
I see no point getting dramatic or personal or taking anything to heart.

It's not like anybody got their front door kicked in and beaten for 'doing it wrong'.

I saw "You should do it like this, and we can help with that".

For whatever reason, he saw it different.

So, again, meh.

JohnDeere730

#36 Post by JohnDeere730 »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:Meh.
That has been around a long time and Debian has had that reputation for a long time.
Unjustly from my experience.

Maybe Debian attracts people with a certain 'sense of humour'.

Maybe it is a self-fulfilling prophecy?

Maybe those who see that are looking too hard for it and either sub or consiously find justification of their prejudices, their responses generating a feedback loop leading inevitably to the conclusion they were already expecting.

Text based communication is notably lacking in context, giving great scope for people to 'fill in the blanks' as suits their own position.

The world is not perfect.

At the end of the day this is only an anonymous internet forum, participation is by choice.
Take what you want, leave what you don't.
I see no point getting dramatic or personal or taking anything to heart.

It's not like anybody got their front door kicked in and beaten for 'doing it wrong'.

I saw "You should do it like this, and we can help with that".

For whatever reason, he saw it different.

So, again, meh.
+1

If one goes through life with a giant chip on their shoulder; always looking for something to be pissed over, life will unfailingly oblige in providing that something. 'nuff said.

nadir

#37 Post by nadir »

I will try to replace the chip with a parrot.

Got one to share? Or a how-to-attract them? They are around you like bees around honey (to avoid flies around crap).

Wait, i don't think life will provide me with such, as i am not looking for them ... "if one goes thrugh life looking for blind and dumb fanboys -juniors- life will unfailingly provide them" Yes? Or does it only work the other way around?
Now speak to us, master. What shall we say next?

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#38 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Just poke out one eye, cut off one leg and a hand, and a parrot should arrive forthwith.
It may even bring you a cool hat :)

nadir

#39 Post by nadir »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:Just poke out one eye, cut off one leg and a hand, and a parrot should arrive forthwith.
It may even bring you a cool hat :)
That is a point.
Best i can offer:
http://resident.dyndns.info/content/wor ... ag0089.jpg
Will work? Let me go in the park and wait ( bottle of Glenn Fiddich won't hurt, i guess...)

.... rarr....rarrr....rarr....
rarrr... rarrr... rarrr....

richard1558

#40 Post by richard1558 »

I'm sorry, Aris Veresie, but I fail to see what's your problem with this Forum.
I am quite new to this Forum, and I have also asked for help on this Forum, and I got help.
( I also give help where I can. )

I do not know what is your definition of help, but I include "advice" into the category of help.

The Users which have posted in your threads have given valid answers, which you do not want to acknowledge.
The Users help where they can and where they want to help.

If you can't maintain your system, and they aren't willing to maintain it for you, then who will?

They have pointed out that a mixed system is a mess, and that they can't/wont help you with that.

If you aren't willing to tackle the problem with a different approach then you are simply ignorant.
Aris Veresie wrote:The second reason is that you do NOT have the BALLS to write your name and you use a nickname instead.
Aris Veresie wrote:I will not log into these forums again. If you have anything to say to me, please use email as I will not be able to see your answers, if you do care to answer.
Aris Veresie wrote:If you do not want me to use the Debian OS kindly inform me via email and I will remove it within a month.
Aris Veresie wrote:Being anonymous is the same as being an idiot.
... was that really neccessary?