Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

["solved"] debian wheezy new install: mp4 problems

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
agrimstad

Re: ["solved"] debian wheezy new install: mp4 problems

#21 Post by agrimstad »

First, thanks to those that responded to my request for help. I learned about apt-cache policy and mplayer2.

I thought my inability to play mp4s on a new wheezy installation might be related to missing libraries. That wasn't the case. In general, wheezy for me handles mp4s OK. But there are problems that I didn't have under squeeze. I consider these to be regressions.

I'm not sure, but I think the issue related to just some mp4 files. I use iceweasel and the add-on DownloadHelper to download certain youtube video files. I had no problem with this in squeeze.

Here are two examples:
(1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcxX1-7efNg
(2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLIFVx9KOUM

One of the options of DownloadHelper is just to download (without conversions, etc.). In the case of these two videos, this results in downloading mp4 files.

In squeeze totem and vlc handled these mp4s without any problems, (The quality of the videos is not high, but debian didn't diminish the quality as far as I know.)

File (1) can't be handled by totem. Totem's properties frame for the file lists the video dimensions as 0x0. VLC handles the file, but I've had somewhat random hiss problems. Fiddling with Audio->Audio Channels sometimes makes the hiss go away. Mplayer2 (smplayer2) seems to be the gold standard here. It just works.

All three apps handle file (2) fine.

So, this isn't a matter for help to the user of the forum. It seems to have to do with problems with a couple of the apps. I have submitted a bug on gstreamer0.10-plugins-good. -- al

Bulkley

Re: debian wheezy new install: mp4 problems

#22 Post by Bulkley »

craigevil wrote:gstreamer0.10-plugins-really-bad
I finally found time to try gstreamer0.10-plugins-really-bad. I really thought you had the answer but it didn't change a thing. Thanks for the suggestion.

agrimstad

#23 Post by agrimstad »

I had a bit of time and thought I'd try to use Debian Wheezy to "fix" my troublesome mp4 files. I tried two video editors on this job, pitivi and openshot. Pitivi, which depends on gstreamer, could not import the file. Openshot had no problem and I used it to produce wav and mp4 files that play fine in the gstreamer world (totem, etc.) Even nautilus seems to depend on gstreamer and so hangs when I attempt to get the properties of the troublesome mp4 files. Once openshot has fixed up whatever problem there was, nautilus works too.

It's pretty clear to me that there's something wrong in gstreamer.

joaomanoel7

#24 Post by joaomanoel7 »

I also had this problem and solved with:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gstreamer-0.10/libgstisomp4.so /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gstreamer-0.10/libgstqtdemux.so

(execute above command in terminal)
---
thanks for user "Wulf Solter (illektr1k)"
reference: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/24381

neodeb

#25 Post by neodeb »

Thank you; however that did not work for me.
Open is freedom.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#26 Post by sunrat »

neodeb wrote:Thank you; however that did not work for me.
Please start a new thread for your problem. This one is 4 years old so many of the problems and solutions will be different.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

GarryRicketson

#27 Post by GarryRicketson »

When you start the new thread, give some details about what exactly
----- did not work for me.

But use code boxes, for any code or output, also, include the version
of Debian you are using.