Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Atom N2600/CedarTrail graphics problems & workarounds?[Solv]

Need help with peripherals or devices?
dealcorn

Re: Atom N2600/CedarTrail graphics problems & workarounds?[S

#21 Post by dealcorn »

Could anyone who has sucessfully completed this 3.3 kernel procedure post a working example of a Cedar Trail xorg.conf file? The 3.3 kernel forces a "mode not supported" by my monitor and also does not create an xorg.conf file. Modification of a working xorg.conf file sounds like the easiest solution.

dralexxm

#22 Post by dralexxm »

Hey jacobh,

nice how to. I managed to get the graphic card of my Asus Eee PC 1011CX working with resolution 1024 x 600. I started with installation Linux Mint Lisa Kernel 3.0 and compiled/installed Kernel 3.3.7 following the steps further down:

apt-get update
apt-get install fakeroot kernel-package qt4-dev-tools qt4-qmake libncurses5-dev wget bzip2 build-essential zlib1g-dev
cd /usr/src
wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/ ... 3.7.tar.gz
tar xzfv ./linux-3.3.7.tar.gz
ln -s linux-3.3.7 linux
cd linux
make clean && make mrproper
cp /boot/config-3.0.0-12-generic ./.config
make menuconfig
make-kpkg clean
fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-custom kernel_image kernel_headers
cd ..
dpkg -i linux-image-3.3.7-custom_3.3.7-custom-10.00.Custom_i386.deb
dpkg -i linux-headers-3.3.7-custom_3.3.7-custom-10.00.Custom_i386.deb
reboot

Thank you!!!

dralexxm

pmcon

#23 Post by pmcon »

for ubuntu precise
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/vi ... 9&p=558348

thanks to gryle,woks for my he post this :
There is a ppa repository with drivers for ubuntu 12.04 in here: http://ppa.launchpad.net/sarvatt/cedarview/ubuntu/

I've managed to get accelerated X working in Ubuntu 12.04 with these steps:

#Add repository in http://ppa.launchpad.net/sarvatt/cedarview/ubuntu/ :
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sarvatt/cedarview
sudo apt-get install add-apt-key
sudo add-apt-key 0x4c96de60854c4636
sudo apt-get update

# Add video=LVDS-1:d to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT variable
sudo vi /etc/default/grub

# if you're using PAE kernel, remove it and install generic kernel
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic
sudo apt-get remove linux-headers-generic-pae linux-image-generic-pae

sudo apt-get install cedarview-drm libva-cedarview-vaapi-driver cedarview-graphics-drivers

#Change Option "AIGLX" to "Off" because 3D isn't working
sudo vi /usr/share/intel-cdv/X11/xorg.conf.d/61-cdv-pvr.conf

sudo update-grub2

mentallymick

#24 Post by mentallymick »

I have an ASUS 1025c netbook and I had the same problem. And I hardly know anything about computers so I've been searching for a solution for 3 days!

I was going to settle with Meego until the release of Tizen, but I decided to install the 32 bit Windows 8 preview ISO and (after encountering the same problem and more dead ends) I visited the ASUS site, downloaded and installed the Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver (click on VGA in the menu) and my problem was finally solved.

Don't know if it works with Ubuntu. Don't drivers get installed on a partition separate from operating systems?

Don't bother answering that. I've had enough of these kind of forums to last me a lifetime.

My good deed is done and I'm gone.

zoccaf

#25 Post by zoccaf »

today i compile the kernel 3.4 for my asus 1025c (atom n2800) and finally the resolution is change to 1024x600 but i can't configure the monitor.
now the pc is usable but i waiting for a complete and working driver, i need to use another monitor and the hdmi port don't work!

jacobh

#26 Post by jacobh »

With apologies for reviving an old thread, but I noticed that, last month, Intel released some graphics drivers for this architecture. There are some instructions for building a 3.1 kernel on Ubuntu to use them. I was wondering if anyone who has had some more experience of working with kernels than I might be able to look through the instructions and see if they should work on Debian (with the usual adjustments for differently-named packages etc.)?

Thanks!

valerie94

#27 Post by valerie94 »

jacobh wrote:With apologies for reviving an old thread, but I noticed that, last month, Intel released some graphics drivers for this architecture. There are some instructions for building a 3.1 kernel on Ubuntu to use them. I was wondering if anyone who has had some more experience of working with kernels than I might be able to look through the instructions and see if they should work on Debian (with the usual adjustments for differently-named packages etc.)?

Thanks!

Wow, great find Jacob! Building kernels in Debian should be comparatively the same with Ubuntu.

valerie94

#28 Post by valerie94 »

Hi Jacob, I have compiled the kernel (in ubuntu) using intel's instructions with just a little modification. You can have a look at it: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=82222

That's how I would do it in debian as well. Anyway, it took the n2600 atom 3 hours to finish.

valerie94

#29 Post by valerie94 »

I just want to confirm that the instructions for building a vaapi-enabled mplayer found here http://download.intel.com/support/mothe ... ntu_12.pdf absolutely works wonders.

Intel also released an adobe flash plugin with hardware acceleration (absolutely works wonders) found here https://registrationcenter.intel.com/Re ... uctID=1618. Download the meego flash plugin (flash-plugin-10.2.0-Meego_Release.rpm) and replace your currently installed libflashplayer.so.

Note: I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 (LXDE) with cedarview drivers found here https://launchpad.net/~sarvatt/+archive/cedarview/

jacobh

#30 Post by jacobh »

Thanks for the recommendation of the flash plugin. You are absolutely correct; it does make an enormous difference to using the default plugin when watching (the disappointingly omnipresent) flash videos.

sujithkattappana

#31 Post by sujithkattappana »

can u share the compiled kernel image and header mentioned below because it is very useful for beginners like me who do not had expertise in compiling custom kernels, so please make it available for download. its a request and i had an asus eee pc 1015cx for which i am trying hard to make graphics work.

dralexxm wrote:Hey jacobh,

nice how to. I managed to get the graphic card of my Asus Eee PC 1011CX working with resolution 1024 x 600. I started with installation Linux Mint Lisa Kernel 3.0 and compiled/installed Kernel 3.3.7 following the steps further down:

apt-get update
apt-get install fakeroot kernel-package qt4-dev-tools qt4-qmake libncurses5-dev wget bzip2 build-essential zlib1g-dev
cd /usr/src
wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/ ... 3.7.tar.gz
tar xzfv ./linux-3.3.7.tar.gz
ln -s linux-3.3.7 linux
cd linux
make clean && make mrproper
cp /boot/config-3.0.0-12-generic ./.config
make menuconfig
make-kpkg clean
fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-custom kernel_image kernel_headers
cd ..
dpkg -i linux-image-3.3.7-custom_3.3.7-custom-10.00.Custom_i386.deb
dpkg -i linux-headers-3.3.7-custom_3.3.7-custom-10.00.Custom_i386.deb
reboot

Thank you!!!

dralexxm

nfo

#32 Post by nfo »

Hi,

iam not a kernel hacker, but i managed to get my cedar card working.

Code: Select all

wget http://codejungle.org/linux-image-3.5.0_3.5.custom_i386.deb
dpkg -i linux-image-3.5.0_3.5.custom_i386.deb
Kernel: 3.5.0

Not Tested:
HDMI

best regards
andreas

zoccaf

#33 Post by zoccaf »

hi nfo,
do you only recompile the kernel or do you add the intel patch too?
do i have to install the packages described on pdf?

thanx

ragnarok

#34 Post by ragnarok »

zoccaf wrote:hi nfo,
do you only recompile the kernel or do you add the intel patch too?
do i have to install the packages described on pdf?

thanx
do you solved the ABI difference of the xorg?

dlj0

#35 Post by dlj0 »

My system is a little different, a Shuttle xs35v3 (very small desktop machine) which has an Atom 2700, with Cedar Trail and a GMA3650 graphics chip. I finally got it working correctly for me with my hi-def 1920x1080 monitor. I had had to use the VESA graphics driver and could only get 1280x1040 before (using an old monitor). I had set up a 64-bit system, debian testing, so the 32-bit proprietary drivers from Intel (which I understand were not all that good, anyway) were not what I wanted.

Here is what I did. Now, this is a workaround, and is not a real alternative to getting a machine with a graphics card (or, rather, a manufacturer) that cooperates with linux. But, you wouldn't be reading this unless you already had the hardware, just like me.

I installed a custom 3.7.1 kernel built from source. General instructions for that come from the kernel-package debian package. There may be an earlier one that lets you do this, but when I tried 4-5 months ago I did not have all of the options and files I needed. This kernel, which the kernel source site calls stable, has what we need. You have to set a lot of kernel options. I had trouble with "make menuconfig" in creating the kernel, since it would not let me change the processor type to Atom, but "make mconfig" did work.

So: I set the processor type to Atom. That's a no-brainer.

I am not sure where all of the settings occur in the menu; most are under drivers/video.

You have to enable agp, agp_intel, acpi, acpi_video, drm, drm_kms_helper, drm_i915, drm_i915_kms, framebuffer, drm_load_edid_firmware. You also need to set "Allow to specify an EDID data set instead of probing for it", or drm_load_edid_firmware. More on that later. I also built in the Intel I810 driver, but that was a mistake, since the hardware can't use it, and I will build without it the next time.

I built a kernel with most of these built-in rather than as modules, since after all I would always need them loaded.

But there is more. In the kernel source tree, in ./Documentation/EDID, are files you need to build separately to load into the kernel at boot time. These edid files contain video parameters for the monitor that the video card is supposed to poll for, but doesn't do correctly (yet??). There is a Makefile there, and running "make" (which of course you have installed if you are going to compile a kernel, anyway) will generate binary versions that you can load into the kernel at boot time (since you enabled that with the edid kernel configuration options above). If you have a nonstandard resolution monitor, you do need to somehow get video timing information for it. xrandr will do that, but you need to use a machine that will talk to the monitor.

Put the resulting 1920x1080.bin files in /lib/firmware/edid/ (you will have to create that last directory).

You are almost ready. You need to tell the kernel to load the edid file, which you do by adding to the boot line drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=edid/1920x1080.bin

The first time I did that just from the grub prompt (enter e to edit the command paramaters, and put that string (with your resolution) in after "ro". After I found to my surprise that this worked, I added it to /etc/default/grub in the line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=edid/1920x1080.bin"

I also set the initial screen to 1920x1080 as well, by GRUB_GFXMODE=1920x1080
in that same file.

Sorry for belaboring the details that might have been clear to the experts, but I did have to fight through a lot of advice and random files to get this figured out.

I still have one issue, in that the boot process hangs for 2 minutes. I think what is happening is that it's probing video connections looking for the monitor, and I should be able to set that by another boot flag, but at least it now works. I did cut the delay down to 1 minute by adding the command video=LVDS-1:d to stop the machine from waiting for that nonexistent video to respond. Other such commands (the d at the end disables the port) did not seem to help.

DVD videos are still choppy in fullscreen mode, but they are watchable within the default window that my video player creates. This may be partially due to my dvd drive. In general the response is considerably better than the vesa driver and my old monitor, and I have all that monitor real estate back.

grondilu

#36 Post by grondilu »

zoccaf wrote:today i compile the kernel 3.4 for my asus 1025c (atom n2800) and finally the resolution is change to 1024x600 but i can't configure the monitor.
Same material here (asus 1025c), using Debian Sid/siduction (kernel 3.7-1.towo-siduction-686).

I got the 1024x600 resolution out of the box but I can't change the display luminosity for instance. Not even with xrand.

Any idea?

msdinit

#37 Post by msdinit »

grondilu wrote:I can't change the display luminosity for instance. Not even with xrand.
Any idea?
I use console command

sudo setpci -s "00:02.0" F4.B=your_value
I use it as a script which accepts value from command line, so I can invoke it, for example, as

brightness 30
I'm sure there's a way to invoke the script with a hotkey or to use it as brightness control in my DE, but I am yet to figure how exactly.

Now I'm more interested if there is a way to get cedarview's vaapi working in debian. I can't use Ubuntu packages as they require libc6 2.15 and my Debian testing install has only 2.13. And I couldn't get the driver compiled by myself for some reason. I'll try it again the other day though.

msdinit

#38 Post by msdinit »

Almost success story.
Managed to compile the kernel with intel patches - the trick was to delete "Werr" line from "drivers/staging/cdv/Kconfig" file.
As for xorg abi difference - I just installed xorg and dependences packages from snapshot.debian.org and also copied /usr/lib/dri directory content to /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri
Bottom line: according to glxgears 3D is working, with about 2% cpu usage. Only problem so far - xorg eats up to 60% cpu and seems generally laggy. There was also specific MESA version requirement in the README for the driver, maybe that's the case, will inspect later.

There seems no other problems so far, but still it is not recommended to transform your Debian installation into such a Frankenstein, remember you do it at your own risk.

onlinespending

#39 Post by onlinespending »

I've successfully compiled the 3.1 kernel with the official Intel drivers patched in (or so I think), and have installed this kernel without issue. However, Xorg is failing to load the drivers as it's looking for it here: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/pvr_dri.so.

(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/pvr_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/pvr_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
(EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
Why is it looking for the driver there (what tells it where to look)? Would building and installing the kernel provide that? Unpacking the cedarview drivers (cedarview-libwsbm-1.1.0.tar, cedarview-userspace-v1.0.3_bee.tar, and cedarview-vaapi-v1.0.3_bee.tar) after building the kernel also does not add such a file. cedarview-userspace-v1.0.3_bee.tar adds a similarly named file (pvr_drv.so) to /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/. I tried linking to that file from the /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/pvr_dri.so and that did not work. I appreciate any guidance.

UPDATE: Looks like the drivers I need are in /usr/lib/dri/ and not /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/ which is where Xorg is looking for them. How does one change the path where Xorg is trying to load drivers?
I think this has to do with starting with Wheezy and needing to downgrade to Xserver 1.11 because of the Intel driver requirements. Likely a disconnect in the paths between the two. So I simply copied the files over to the path its looking for them at. But now that I've done that, I get these errors.

(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/pvr_dri.so failed (/lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15` not found (required by /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/pvr_dri.so))