Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] missing firmware driver

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
hadian

[SOLVED] missing firmware driver

#1 Post by hadian »

i installed debian stable and upgraded it to debian testing by its dvds. also i updated the system by repos. but i still face the problem i missing firmware while the stable version did not noticed me about these firmware. i installed firmware-linux-nonfree too but still the problem exist. here is what i get at the end of installing this package:

Code: Select all

Setting up firmware-linux-nonfree (0.34) ...
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-1-686-pae
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8105e-1.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168e-2.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168e-1.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168d-2.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168d-1.fw for module r8169
Last edited by hadian on 2011-11-18 09:24, edited 1 time in total.

roseway

Re: missing firmware driver

#2 Post by roseway »

Does your ethernet interface work? If so, you can ignore the warning. It only says 'possible missing firmware' because some hardware using the R8169 driver does need a firmware file. These firmware files aren't included in the kernel because they aren't free.
Eric

hadian

Re: missing firmware driver

#4 Post by hadian »

roseway wrote:Does your ethernet interface work? If so, you can ignore the warning. It only says 'possible missing firmware' because some hardware using the R8169 driver does need a firmware file. These firmware files aren't included in the kernel because they aren't free.
yes, it works. i installed the package firmware-realtek too.
Thanks

Fezmiester

Re: [SOLVED] missing firmware driver

#5 Post by Fezmiester »

Hi, I had the same package -firmware missing above,

I can't find it in synaptic even when I get add the directories mentioned above. ..

I do get this error message from depository / source control center in Debian 6 after reload -
"the method driver /usr/lib/apt/methods/htp could not be found.
the the method driver /user/lib/apt/methods/htp could not be found.. "

My wireless does not work... My wired networking does work.
(I may have made this mistake by selecting wired as my default hardware on in the install. because I remember it asking me which piece of hardware do you want to favor? - I chose the wired- over the wireless, (stupid)
(which is going to work anyway right? lol
**(the key might be here but I dunno where to look to put it in the lock)**

So I did follow the link and download the realtek package and have it added by the packagemanger. since It wasn't showing up in synaptic right?
and it said that the same version already existed.. .

Wifi radar (as superuser) is the only apt that is seeing the wireless. & my wireless network. Every other network utility I've tried is lollygagging and the system doesn't say it exists.

However... wifi radar can't connect, just stalls out every time. doesn't seem to be able to store settings data on the wireless networks, or access them if it does.. every time you open it the settings are blank again... *z(

Btw, this is a no brand netbook of aliexpress.com hzone 200$
(wifi was working fine before on kubuntu and win7)

hope you know what to do!

THANKS!!!

Fez

Fezmiester

#6 Post by Fezmiester »

here is what I get in terminal. I am sure I should be running other commands to ;z)

root@192fez:/home/fezmiester# iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=20 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off

pan0 no wireless extensions.

root@192fez:/home/fezmiester# iwpriv -a
lo no private ioctls.

eth0 no private ioctls.

wlan0 no private ioctls.

pan0 no private ioctls.

root@192fez:/home/fezmiester# scpm
bash: scpm: command not found
root@192fez:/home/fezmiester# ifup
ifup: Use --help for help
root@192fez:/home/fezmiester#

no wireless extentions seems to be an issue right? hah but i've installed all the packages.. as mentioned in previous post.. I dunno! it's no longer that driver... I hink.... it's settings somewhere...
OOops
;z)
Fez

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

Have you tried Wicd? You have to manually set it to use wlan0, and you should uninstall network-manager (they can coexist, but NM tries to grab the interface first at every boot.)
MX Linux packager and developer