Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Laptop does not wake up from suspend

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
kerem

Laptop does not wake up from suspend

#1 Post by kerem »

Hi

I have an Acer 1551 4755, with Debian Squeeze. Normally my Debian Squeeze installations and suspending work fine on my other 2 laptops. For some reason this one is troubled. I can put into sleep with "pm-suspend" or "pm-hibernate" but the thing is that my laptop never wakes up. I endup restarting.

here is the hardware and module list

http://pastie.org/1222026

oleonard

Re: Laptop does not wake up from suspend

#2 Post by oleonard »

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I'm having the same issue with a Lenovo ThinkPad.

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#3 Post by mzilikazi »

Kernel 2.6.32 (and older) was problematic that way. Try a newer kernel?
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

craigevil

#4 Post by craigevil »

oleonard wrote:Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I'm having the same issue with a Lenovo ThinkPad.

Works just fine on this ancient Thinkpad, Fn+F4 suspends as does choosing suspend from the gdm login screen.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

kerem

#5 Post by kerem »

oleonard wrote:Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I'm having the same issue with a Lenovo ThinkPad.

Hi

No not at all, even the latest updates have not resolved it. I even tried s2ram app, no solution so far. Sometimes it wakes up but takes 10-15 mins, and most of the the after the waking up the opengl would be useless(I use 3d apps on it)

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#6 Post by mzilikazi »

kerem wrote:Hi

No not at all, even the latest updates have not resolved it. I even tried s2ram app, no solution so far. Sometimes it wakes up but takes 10-15 mins, and most of the the after the waking up the opengl would be useless(I use 3d apps on it)

Code: Select all

uname -r
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

dbbolton

#7 Post by dbbolton »

I have this problem with the 2.6.38 kernel.
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF
Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.

anthalamus

#8 Post by anthalamus »

Hi, I don't know if i should open a new thread for this as this one is quite old, but I have the same error with my Lenovo Thinkpad and debian squeeze.... this is a major issue that unless I fix very shortly, will prompt me to install a different distro (which i'd rather not..!!!). Upon re-opening the laptop, it's clearly active, but the screen remains black..

Anyone?

julian516

#9 Post by julian516 »

I had this problem for a while until it disappeared after an upgrade for unknown reasons, frankly. In my case doing CTL-ALT-F7 seemed to cause X my screen to turn on. That confirmed my suspicion that Squeeze in fact was coming out of a suspended state as it should.

I normally run the nVidia driver so upgrading a kernel means reinstalling and frequently upgrading that video driver. Let me guess I finally got to a combination that played well together.

anthalamus

#10 Post by anthalamus »

Thanks julian,

I also kind of suspect nvidia to be the cause... maybe using that "nouveau" driver instead of nvidia? i don't care much about the video card (i just want debian for its stability). In my case Ctrl+Alt+F{X} does not do anything, I can't access either a terminal nor the X session, the screen remains pitch black not matter what..

I just realized that this laptop uses a solid state drive, although i doubt it has anything to do with the current problem..!

julian516

#11 Post by julian516 »

I doubt an SSD has anything to do with this. I have one on my desktop and it runs without incident. Trust me my next laptop wil have one.

Well, lets try some things, one thing at a time. (1) If your swap file is not somewht larger than your installed RAM do that first. (2) still no go? I would swap out the video firmware for am alternative. So if you are running nvidia (which ought to work, but ...) try going over to nouveaux. (3) Bummer? OK, let's go to var/log and check the pm-suspend.log. You are looking (probably toward the end of this file) for a module that does not close out as it should. The magic word is "failure" on the right side. In my experience it is typically a video driver or sometimes wireless.

Other people around here are a whole lot tech-smarter than I am (and I mean a while lot!) but at this point if I saw evidence of a kernel problem I would swap out the kernel for an alternative. First go to smxi.org and download the smxi tools, these make the process a lot easier and you will discover some very nice system management tools in the process. Get smxi configured and let it do a dist-upgrade for you. If yours is not the most recent Debian kernel the script will ask if you wish to upgrade to the latest Debian kernel. You do. If you are running the most current Debian kernel go over to the Liquorix kernel. These run very well so not to worry. Any time you do a kernel change of upgrade you have to reinstall your video driver, so let sgfxi (another tool in that smxi suite) do that for you. You know know you hae the most recent kernel you can run and the appropriate video driver with which it works.

OK, no let's do a test and see what happens. Your time is not wasted. You know you have a clean system with an adequate swap file. That eliminates a range of posibiilities.

anthalamus

#12 Post by anthalamus »

Thanks a lot julian,

in terms of swap:

Mem:   3021912k total,   514404k used,  2507508k free,   113132k buffers
Swap:  5901304k total,        0k used,  5901304k free,   240628k cached
I checked the pm-suspend log and it does not show any 'failures', in fact it shows success:

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00powersave suspend suspend:success.
/etc/pm/sleep.d/10_unattended-upgrades-hibernate suspend suspend:success.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/49bluetooth suspend suspend:success.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/55NetworkManager suspend suspend:success.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/70action_wpa suspend suspend:success.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/75modules suspend suspend:not applicable.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/90clock suspend suspend:not applicable.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/94cpufreq suspend suspend:success.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/95anacron suspend suspend:success.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/95led suspend suspend:success.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/98video-quirk-db-handler suspend suspend:success.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video suspend suspend:kernel.acpi_video_flags = 0
Allocated buffer at 0x2010 (base is 0x0)
ES: 0x0201 EBX: 0x0000
success.
Thu Aug  2 19:57:05 EDT 2012: performing suspend
still, upon trying to wake up (whether re-opening the laptop or pressing the button), pitch black monitor. the novelty is that i just realized two things:
- i can't even ping/ssh to the machine even though it sounds like it's active; CAPS lock does not even change turn on the LED anymore, Ctrl+Alt+Del does not do anything
- turning off NVIDIA altogether in the BIOS to use the on-board graphic card results in the same issue!!

it may not be an NVIDIA issue after all, although syslog/dmesg do not show anything obvious either (but then again they are very cryptic to me!). i'm up to date when it comes to debian (6.0.5)...

anthalamus

#13 Post by anthalamus »

i gave up... I installed linux mint (maya) which seems to handle suspend fine (at least so far), as well as detects my secondary monitor right off the bat (another issue i had with that debian install)...

i like the idea of debian being all foss but maybe it's not realistic, at least not as long as there are evil manufacturers like nvidia (by the way i wasn't given the choice of the laptop!!)

anyway, thanks for the help guys..!

tuxracer

#14 Post by tuxracer »

Thinkpad T500 running Debian Wheezy w/ Gnome DE and the video hardware is the switchable graphics one, Intel GMA 4500MHD and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650. So, it's not Nvidia-related despite assertions.

I think it's insane that this issue is still going on. The kernel is 3.2 and people were complaining since, at least, Squeeze..... (2.6.32).

Deb-fan

#15 Post by Deb-fan »

Check your sources.list to see if the nonfree repo for whatever release you're using is included. Debian is all about kickbutt free software, unless something has radically changed recently, nonfree software wouldn't be included default.

Afterwards ... in terminal could check and see what firmware you have installed. "dpkg --list | grep firmware-linux" w/o quotes. If you don't have the firmware-linux-nonfree package install the sucker and see if it helps. Just a brainfart ... might or not help. +1 mzilikazi too. Don't see how a kernel upgrade OR both could hurt anything for you.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *