Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Applet Network Manager doesn't work

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
benjamin87

Applet Network Manager doesn't work

#1 Post by benjamin87 »

Hi, I've installed debian for the first time. I've installed the wheezy release. I'm new to debian but i've some knowledge about the linux world.

My problem is that the Applet Network Manager 0.9.4.1 does not work. If i click the icon in the notification bar, it doesn't show me the wireless available connections...

I can connect to the internet by the settings put during the installation process. But i'd like if applet network manager would recognize other wlan connections.

Typing iwconfig wlan0 scan I can see all the wifi connections around me.

Code: Select all

lspci | grep -i wi
02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
I think that a side effect of this problem is that Google Chrome show all the "applications" with gray icons, like he cannot check if the computer is connected to the internet or not....

What would be the problem? Can you give me some hints?

Thanks a lot.

stevepusser

Re: Applet Network Manager doesn't work

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Odd--you'd appear to have working wireless if you can scan the surrounding access points. If you right-click the NM icon, can you get a setting dialog to come up that enables/disables wireless or networking? I know the KDE 4 NM widget works like that.
MX Linux packager and developer

deltaflyer

#3 Post by deltaflyer »

check /etc/network/interfaces to see whats in there. should look something like this

Code: Select all

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
#NetworkManager#iface eth0 inet dhcp
free your computer,use opensource

benjamin87

#4 Post by benjamin87 »

@stevepusser: If i right-click on the NM icon I can disable network connection, but if I do it and i click again on it in order to restart the network connection, he doesn't show me the wireless connections around me, so i keep offline!

@deltaflyer: my etc/networking/interfences looks like yours, but there are these lines at the end of the file:

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid I'mBATMAN
wpa-psk ***my_password***

I've tried removing the last lines, and i realised that i cannot connect at all to my wifi connection.

Thanks

deltaflyer

#5 Post by deltaflyer »

try copying mine,but make a backup copy of your own.then restart network services or reboot. you should be able to set things up with network manager

benjamin87

#6 Post by benjamin87 »

it worked!!!

Thanks a lot!

deltaflyer

#7 Post by deltaflyer »

excellent, now enjoy 8)