Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Which is best: Linux or netBSD

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
GrimReeper

Which is best: Linux or netBSD

#1 Post by GrimReeper »

I am just starting with Linux now to learn about about the systems (as I have only used Windows Computers before).

Now I heard from a friend that the OS netBSD is a better OS.

what I would like to know is: which do you think is better and why. For me the most important thing is:

1) Support of multiple files and programs of multiple OS's. Best for me is to open windows emulators to run Windows programs within linux or netBSD.

2) Stable and fast Server. For testing purposes, I want to use a secure and stable server for running a Webserver, IMAP server, FTP server and maybe a Printerserver. It should be easily connect and communicate with both windows and linux/netBSD

Who have used both of the programs, what are the advanctages and disadvantages?

with ragards,
Mark

kinematic

#2 Post by kinematic »

if you want a stable and secure server i'd go with debian.
there are servers out there running debian wich have been up for years without a reboot.
do a little reading on howto secure a debian server and you're good to go.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

thamarok

#3 Post by thamarok »

For your first question, I would go with Debian, because according to this German BSD forum, no one has made Wine (the Windows "Emulator") to work under NetBSD: http://www.bsdforen.de/showthread.php?p=148085

But a note for you, if you want to emulate Windows, you need to use commercial products like VMWare or Win4Lin; Because Wine is not an emulator, it is just an API for Linux systems to be able to run Windows applications.

Also, I don't know how hard/easy it is to install software in NetBSD, but to install Wine in Debian, you just execute this command:
apt-get install wine
That's it! And to run a Windows application through Wine, you execute it like this:
wine /path/to/windows_program.exe

As for a server, I'm running a Web Server, FTP Server and a Game Server (Game Servers need a lot of bandwidth, so managing them might be hard, but in Debian that's easy). All those in a single Debian system and everything works flawlessly.

hcgtv

#4 Post by hcgtv »

I've used OpenBSD, it makes for a very secure server. This was before Linksys came out with their routers, so I used it on an old 486 for as my home's gateway. I never tried it as a workstation but I would tend to lean towards Debian for that.

The daily operation of BSD is different from Linux, the directory structure is different and so is package updating. It was very educational to see what Theo was doing with his BSD derivative, if nothing else I learned a thing or two about locking down a server.
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard

stream303

Re: Which is best: Linux or netBSD

#5 Post by stream303 »

GrimReeper wrote:Now I heard from a friend that the OS netBSD is a better OS.
NetBSD (or any other BSD) isn't better - it's just different. A lot depends on your needs and interests and the best thing to do is try it yourself and see if it suits you.

We could start a zillion threads about the differences between the gpl and bsd licensing, goals, and performance issues. Check it out.

http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/

As with all projects, you can get involved with or bogged down in political issues. Developers will have different needs than end users.

Perhaps in 2007 we can shed the label of being "leet" linux users. A lot of hard work is put into these systems that we enjoy today.

Grifter

#6 Post by Grifter »

stream303 wrote:Perhaps in 2007 we can shed the label of being "leet" linux users.
What, you don't like being leet?
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

thamarok

#7 Post by thamarok »

Grifter wrote:
stream303 wrote:Perhaps in 2007 we can shed the label of being "leet" linux users.
What, you don't like being leet?
It's l33t
Grow up! :wink:

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#8 Post by Lavene »

Lets face it... as geeks we will never accept anything mainstream. We *need* to be l33t - crave it. Just wait and see; if GNU/ Linux becomes mainstream we will see hordes of geeks throw them self over the Hurd (hey... nice pun!) kernel and we'll go "What? You run Linux? You're such a lamer..."

Tina :lol:

DeanLinkous

#9 Post by DeanLinkous »

c'mon solaris

What? you run that hacked together kernel called linux when you could run the l33t sunOS kernel, laaaaaamer....... :)

I honestly do not think I could talk my self into going full-geek HURD kernel mode.

hcgtv

#10 Post by hcgtv »

We'll always have LFS: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/ - should mainstream not suit us.
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard

Harold

#11 Post by Harold »

A more appropriate question would be: Which is best: the Linux OS family or the BSD OS family? Trying to compare a certain flavour of BSD to all of Linuxdom is not going to prompt a satisfying discussion.

thamarok

#12 Post by thamarok »

Harold wrote:A more appropriate question would be: Which is best: the Linux OS family or the BSD OS family? Trying to compare a certain flavour of BSD to all of Linuxdom is not going to prompt a satisfying discussion.
But the answer will still get a similar shape to like this:
"It's about how you would like to use your system; I'm using Linux and am happy with it."

Since this *is* a Linux forum, I don't think that many are going to be on the BSD side, since Linux and BSD are quite different and so..

stream303

#13 Post by stream303 »

I'm not l33t! Why I am only ... oh wait - running Debian Etch-testing on a G5 iMac using fluxbox by choice. Editing files with vi... writing chmod howto charts...

NOOOoooooo! :)

Seriously, thanks to everyone. The community here made a large part of the decision to go full-time Debian without looking back.

thamarok

#14 Post by thamarok »

See ;)