Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Changing time zone after installation.

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
cb99

Changing time zone after installation.

#1 Post by cb99 »

Hi,

I forgot to change timezone during installation. So I changed it after installation by searching on google. I have dual boot Windows 7 and Debian unstable. I have decided Windows 7 to synchronize time with internet. And debian to use that time. When I noticed I am getting incorrect time, I did following.

Code: Select all

sudo hwclock --systohc --utc

sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

cat /etc/timezone

output is Asia/Kolkata which is correct now.

Then added UTC=yes in /etc/default/rcS

grep UTC /etc/default/rcS
output is UTC=yes

But when I do

date
I get

Tue Sep 4 09:01:52 IST 2012

which not correct local time.

I just checked on Windows 7 and it showing me correct time.

kmathern

Re: Changing time zone after installation.

#2 Post by kmathern »

In sid & wheezy the UTC variable in the /etc/default/rcS file isn't used anymore, it's now in the /etc/adjtime file.

snippet from `man rcS`

NOTE 
The EDITMOTD, RAMRUN and UTC variables are no longer used.  ....The UTC setting is replaced by the UTC or LOCAL setting in /etc/adjtime, and should have been migrated  automatically.   See  hwclock(5) and hwclock(8) for further details on configuring the system clock....

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by sunrat »

Windows expects the hardware clock to be set to local time, Linux expects it to be UTC. There are 2 ways to get the time to show correctly when dual booting with Windows:
- Set the HW clock to local time and tell Linux it is local time using hwclock --localtime command.
- Set the HW clock to UTC and tell Windows it is UTC. This requires editing the registry, see the third reply at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... a84fb155d1
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

cb99

#4 Post by cb99 »

kmathern wrote:In sid & wheezy the UTC variable in the /etc/default/rcS file isn't used anymore, it's now in the /etc/adjtime file.
This helped to fix it. Thank you.

cb99

#5 Post by cb99 »

sunrat wrote:Windows expects the hardware clock to be set to local time, Linux expects it to be UTC. There are 2 ways to get the time to show correctly when dual booting with Windows:
- Set the HW clock to local time and tell Linux it is local time using hwclock --localtime command.
- Set the HW clock to UTC and tell Windows it is UTC. This requires editing the registry, see the third reply at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... a84fb155d1
Thank you already had added registry entries when I was using Arch Linux. I forgot

hwclock --localtime
when I switched to Debian.

Thanks for help.

jmbvs

#6 Post by jmbvs »

About ... dealing with system time set to UTC or not ?

AFAIK most modern OSes expect the system (hardware) clock to be set to UTC. Windows is THE exception... (We all knew that M$ Windows is "exceptional" :-) )

If you are using a Windows system with SP2 or later, I recommend USING UTC as the hardware time, and tell Windows about it. This can be achieved by regedit'ting the key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
+--SYSTEM\
+-- CurrentControlSet\
+-- Control\
+-- TimeZoneInformation

and add the value "RealTimeIsUniversal" (DWORD) = 1

Reboot and ... now Windows seems (a bit) better :-)

Have fun

--jmbvs

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

^ So you've necrobumped a *four year old* thread to repeat the solution given by @sunrat this post?

Oh well done...

*slow handclap*

:roll:
deadbang

GarryRicketson

#8 Post by GarryRicketson »

by jmbvs » If you are using a Windows system with SP2 or later, I recommend USING UTC as the hardware time, and tell Windows about it.
Who cares any way ? I am not using Windows , and could care less about this,
I thought this forum is about Debian ,

Debian User Forums

Maybe the recent OP "jmbvs" is a "windows bot" that got lost, and does not know where
it is.