Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Wheezy No sound

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
shiva

Debian Wheezy No sound

#1 Post by shiva »

While I was trying to improve my alsa settings and make the alsa play concurrent streams I was messed up something and now my debian after bootup dont have any sound.
Actually when I test alsa alsa is working but when I test pulse pulse isnt working I mean

Code: Select all

mplayer -ao pulse $FILENAME 
fails

That is not problem I want to throw out pulse from my installation but my favorite audio player Clementine when I try to play it with Alsa audio sink skip 40 songs because of device busy resource not available. I tried with lowering buffer output on Clementine but it doesnt help.

Actually the correct error is

Could not open audio device for playback. Device is being used by another application.
I have tried to make pulse recognize my alsa device by using the idea from last post on this thread http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... nd-917079/
I edited /etc/pulse/default.pa and uncommented two rows:
Code:

load-module module-alsa-sink
load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:0,0

to say PulseAudio which undetected (by failing udevd) hardware device should it use.
Also now I get all of the sudden muting of my audio device It mutes my Front, Headphone, Master channel.

Any Idea what to do ?
Debian Sid, custom 3.9 kernel, xfce 4.10, Mate
Arch Linux running 3.10-rc4 kernel Xfce 4.10, openbox
Gentoo Linux running 3.10-rc4 custom Xfce 4.10

shiva

Re: Debian Wheezy No sound

#2 Post by shiva »

To add few more things that are happening

Muting actually happen when I'm going from application to application specially when I use alsa output on one and after I stop that app and start pulse output on other all sounds go muted.

Also I have problem with flash player which also get muted and sometimes I just need to stop other apps that use sound and restart flash video for it to start working. but sometimes that doesnt help, like on coursera.org. I have few courses taken there and now I cant hear the sound of lecture which is really hard because I need to turn on captions and read them while monitoring programming problems.
I tried everything and audio just doesnt want to work on coursera.org.

Anyway I think that problem with flash is that it use Alsa audio sink and that when it is in use by some other audio or video application it cant access it. So I stop other apps and play flash. Anyone ahve idea how to make flash work with pulse ?

btw I'm on Xfce how to get access to gconf on Xfce ?

shiva

#3 Post by shiva »

I have uninstalled pulseaudio and still have problems most noticeably I have problem with flash and alsa.
it doesnt want to play any sound with alsa after I uninstalled pulseaudio. When I shut all aplications that use alsa it still dont want to play sound on flash.
Can on someway force flash to work with alsa ?
Also problem with clementine that use gstreamer stays, it skips many songs when play over alsa audio sink saying resource is busy.

How to fix these problems with gstreamer and Alsa ? What data should I post here ?

juanpablodlc

#4 Post by juanpablodlc »

The problems you mention with flash are by using googlechrome? I had similar problems with flash sound ... it got fixed by

sudo cp /usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_equal.so /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/

shiva

#5 Post by shiva »

Well it was easier than I thought it will be whole problem was with asound.conf and pulseaudio server.
Thing is that I di9dnt read before this page:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwar ... rfectSetup

After I read it I change my asound.conf and ~/.asound.rc into this:

#pcm.!default {
    #       type hw
    #       card 0
    #}
    #
    #ctl.!default {
    #       type hw          
    #       card 0
    #}
    pcm.pulse {
        type pulse
    }

ctl.pulse {
        type pulse
    }

pcm.!default {
        type pulse
        # If defaults.namehint.showall is set to off in alsa.conf, then this is
        # necessary to make this pcm show up in the list returned by
        # snd_device_name_hint or aplay -L
        hint.description "Default Audio Device"
    }
    ctl.!default {
        type pulse
    }
Basicly if you want to use pulse+alsa it is important to chose type pulse as plugin for alsa and so on that way when application that use alsa want to use soundcard it will not steal audiocard from other applications that use it via pulse but will relay back to pulseaudio server via pulse plugin to output playback.
So on that way there is no conflict between alsa and pulse and pulse basically take all responsibility for playback of audio.

If you try to not make default output device for alsa be pulse plugin the playback will work with some players but with some it aint.
I leaved commented lines so that you can get back on old way of alsa handling sound by just uncommenting them and commenting out those with pulse plugin

stuval

#6 Post by stuval »

I fit into this problem but all that I needed to do was:
* in the gui program "pavucontrol"
* on the "Output Devices" tab
* depress the green tick button next to the device I want everything to use by default, called "Set as fallback"

So everything but vlc was using the wrong device, somehow. It'd be great to really see the sound system as a bunch of signal flows. Good luck!