Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Any Linux fan just has to get a GP2X!

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.

Please read the Wikipedia page about GP2X before voting. Do you want a GP2X?

Yes!
58%
No.
42%

Total votes: 12

thamarok

Any Linux fan just has to get a GP2X!

#1 Post by thamarok »

Check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2X
So kewl I can't believe it.. :shock:

ghostdawg

#2 Post by ghostdawg »

Yes I would like one... :P
Tower | Debian Testing & Mageia 1 | HP DX5150 AMD64 | 512gb | 40gb
AAO | Mandriva 2010.2 | Intel Atom | 1gb | 160gb
Mini Mac G4 | Debian & OSX | 1gb | 60gb

osmo

#3 Post by osmo »

Any GNU fan just has to not get a GP2X!

Dargor

#4 Post by Dargor »

lol, does that say it has dual cpu's
now you can rip divx and play mario on your hand held console.
lame no wifi, whats the point of that, an open source hand held with no wifi, whats the point of modding it, the nintendo ds is way more usefull

thamarok

#5 Post by thamarok »

You can have WiFi too:
http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/SDIO

Just needs an external adaptor..
But think that even Qtopia is ported to this device, so it can't be just bullsh*t.

ethyrdude

#6 Post by ethyrdude »

From what I've read, a good portion of that side of the world is going open source, so you will see more such goodies in the future. And yes, I want one too!
Cancel or Allow?
Is that the new "Yes, No, or All"?

thamarok

#7 Post by thamarok »

ethyrdude wrote:From what I've read, a good portion of that side of the world is going open source, so you will see more such goodies in the future. And yes, I want one too!
Think it like this: The GP2X is so wide in possibilities for the user that you can have it as an MP3 Player today, a Genesis emulator tomorrow and a portable Video Player next week;

Buying an MP3 Player, a Genesis and a Video Player costs soooo much more than the GP2X. Also, with Qtopia ported to GP2X, you can even use QT applications! And the best thing is, because it's open source, porting applications should be a breeze.

However, hopefully they make a GP2X with better specifications, so people could emulate GBA on the device with decent speed.. I wish luck to Game Park Holdings for their future releases and I'm going to see forward for more open source devices!

ajdlinux

#8 Post by ajdlinux »

I would get one, but it's just too expensive for me at the moment, something like AU$250 or so. I would rather upgrade my PC instead.
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au

thamarok

#9 Post by thamarok »

ajdlinux wrote:I would get one, but it's just too expensive for me at the moment, something like AU$250 or so. I would rather upgrade my PC instead.
:P

ethyrdude

#10 Post by ethyrdude »

ajdlinux wrote:I would get one, but it's just too expensive for me at the moment, something like AU$250 or so. I would rather upgrade my PC instead.
In my case, wanting and getting are entirely on two different pages. I am beyond having to upgrade my computer, my only recourse is to buy a complete package, sure I can build a new computer or upgrade my old one, but it's just not economical. In order to be up-to-date, I would have to replace every component including the power supply, so I will probably be getting a new computer before a gp2X, but I can still put it on my wish list. By the time I can justify getting it, the price will have dropped and new features added, no doubt.
Cancel or Allow?
Is that the new "Yes, No, or All"?

ajdlinux

#11 Post by ajdlinux »

I just want an extra 256mb of RAM, although it's SDRAM so it's rather expensive nowadays... maybe half the cost of a GP2X?
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au

Lost Dog

#12 Post by Lost Dog »

I just noticed this thread so I thought I'd comment...

I've had a GP2X for quite a while now. It's quite nice! I use it primarily for emulators (MAME, neo geo, nintendo, sega, etc). With a 4 gig SD card I'll never run out of things to play!

thamarok

#13 Post by thamarok »

Lost Dog wrote:I just noticed this thread so I thought I'd comment...

I've had a GP2X for quite a while now. It's quite nice! I use it primarily for emulators (MAME, neo geo, nintendo, sega, etc). With a 4 gig SD card I'll never run out of things to play!
Cool!
Do you emulate Sega Genesis too? I thought of buying a GP2X also to use it as a Multi-Handheld-Console-Emulator.

Lost Dog

#14 Post by Lost Dog »

thamarok wrote: Cool!
Do you emulate Sega Genesis too? I thought of buying a GP2X also to use it as a Multi-Handheld-Console-Emulator.
So far I have:

MAME (w/ about 150+ games)
Nintendo
Sega Genesis
Neo Geo (also works using mame but gngeo runs better)
Atari 2600

I ran out of room on my 4gig card with all the games. With the exception of some of the newer arcade games and a few neo-geo (Metal Slug 2, 3, 4 comes to mind) everything runs full speed with no slowdowns.

I picked it up strictly as a emulation platform and it has definitely not let me down. I'd killed hours of time in airports and car trips! While there may be some promise in emulation on the PSP a firmware update may end that at any time. The GP2X is built for the purpose of open systems...

Dargor

#15 Post by Dargor »

Lost Dog do you have anything else on it besides games, do you have the wifi thing

Lost Dog

#16 Post by Lost Dog »

Dargor wrote:Lost Dog do you have anything else on it besides games, do you have the wifi thing
Nope, there is no built in wifi. I think some people have an external one however. I only got it simply for games. If I want a portable to surf the web and such I've got a PDA for that.

It does have media players, picture viewers and text viewers but for me it's just to relive my super mario brother's past.

Dargor

#17 Post by Dargor »

Lost Dog, fair enough.