Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Mouse and keyboard do not work

Need help with peripherals or devices?
cacidol

Mouse and keyboard do not work

#1 Post by cacidol »

I powered on my laptop running Debian kernel 3.3.0. After the boot process starts the X server and KDE, my keyboard and mouse do not function. Keyboard input works when I use the Recovery Console, and both the keyboard and mouse work when I boot into Windows. I've tried booting into Recovery Mode, and then into KDE, but it still doesn't show that I'm typing or that I'm moving the mouse.

I have also tried booting the stable 3.2.0.2 kernel, but both keyboard and mouse fail to receive input and do not respond. I logged into the recovery mode, and was able to get /var/log/Xorg.0.log. /etc/X11/xorg.conf did not exist. I tested to see if an external wired USB mouse and keyboard would work, but neither worked. I'm guessing it's an input problem with the X server, rather than just my keyboard and mouse inside the laptop.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log: http://pastebin.ca/2149488

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the issue? Like I said, the keyboard and mouse work, just not on Debian; I am writing this from my laptop on Windows.

makh

Re: Mouse and keyboard do not work

#2 Post by makh »

try:
# dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

this may help:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3950

not sure this is helpful:
http://www.upubuntu.com/2011/11/is-your ... rking.html
ThinkPad E14: Arch, Debian Stable
GUI: Xfce

For new: Try MX Linux, Linux Mint; later join Debian Stable

cacidol

#3 Post by cacidol »

makh wrote:try:
# dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

this may help:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3950

not sure this is helpful:
http://www.upubuntu.com/2011/11/is-your ... rking.html
I tried the dpkg-reconfigure method, but it didn't work. The X server works fine too, but it just doesn't let me type or click the mouse.

If I go into maintenance mode at start-up, the keyboard works. Once I start kdm, /etc/init.d/kdm start, I can't do anything and have to forcefully shut down my computer.

makh

#4 Post by makh »

lxde wont take much space, just try and test

cacidol

#5 Post by cacidol »

makh wrote:lxde wont take much space, just try and test
I tested both gnome, through gdm3, and lxde, through startlxde, and neither worked. I know the mouse works; I ran "cat /dev/input/mouse0" and it displayed random characters. So it has to be something with the X server.

makh

#6 Post by makh »

u can check for mouse drivers/package at the website of your laptop vendor

cacidol

#7 Post by cacidol »

makh wrote:u can check for mouse drivers/package at the website of your laptop vendor
I'll try reinstalling the mouse and keyboard drivers for the X server. But I think I said the wrong information: until last Tuesday, my keyboard and mouse worked just fine and I could log in, use Debian, etc. Something happened though and now I can't use anything on startup of the X server and I must force the computer to shutdown.

trampeldoner

#8 Post by trampeldoner »

I have the same issue since today. Xorg "froze". I had to reboot. After that mouse and keyboard don't work in X11. I can also verify that the devices in /dev/input/ do work and generate output upon "cat"ing them.

I'm running Debian unstable amd64. There was neither a kernel upgrade nor a xorg upgrade. So I am a bit at a loss what could be the cause...

What I have tried:

- older kernel
- no xorg.conf
- with XFCE, plain xmonad, and just a plain browser without any window manager

seems to be an Xorg issue IMO

Noven

#9 Post by Noven »

I am having this problem as well. I don't use a login manager, so when I drop to the command line, my laptop keyboard works fine. Whenever I a X session, I can't use my keyboard or touchpad, but USB versions work. This started today after I rebooted.

nazir

#10 Post by nazir »

I remember the same problems on some (not all!) of my Wheezy boxes.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/01-serverflags.conf (or /etc/X11/xorg.conf):

Code: Select all

Section "ServerFlags"                                                                
        Option  "AutoAddDevices"        "off"                                        
EndSection 
fix the problem (in my case)...
Merry crisis and happy new fear!
▶♫

craigevil

#11 Post by craigevil »

#669949 - sysvinit: Break X11: no more mouse and keyboard - Debian Bug report logs - http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=669949
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

neodeb

#12 Post by neodeb »

Don't do ...
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AutoAddDevices" "off"
EndSection

At least for me, it kept my KB, and mouse from working at all, as it went to GUI, and without any way out of it, or use of it. Single mode/recovery could not get me to where I could change it back. I resorted to booting a live Deb DVD, and drilled down to my mounted xorg.conf (not the live one), and (as root) removed the above test. Now it works.

I think I my solution (working for now) was a BIOS upgrade! USB stuff was listed among the change log.

I just wanted to warn.
Open is freedom.

cjmoran

#13 Post by cjmoran »

I have a similar kind of issue with keyboard.
It's a brand new clean install (wheezy 7.1)
Everything works fine initially.

In many places, .e.g the address bar in chrome/iceweasel, a text box in a web page (e.g. where I replied to this forum issue)
- I highlight a piece of text (in the middle of a larger string of text) and press the Delete key (not backspace)
- After that the keyboard appears not to work..typing does nothing
- Mouse is OK
- I can launch new applications, but clicking menus does not showsubmenus
- If I launch a text editor or a terminal...typing on keyboard has no effect
- Press <CTRL>-<ALT>-<DEL> and I get the shutdown dialog
- If I suspend and then resume...the problem has gone away.

It's quite annoying! It doesn't happen *every* time but it happens quite frequently so it's 75% reproducible. :)

cjmoran

#14 Post by cjmoran »

Replying to my own post.
I didn't notice the issue right away..and had physically disconnected keyboard/mouse yesterday.
(I'm using a usb mouse and a ps/2 keyboard)

Anyway...I had the keyboard input plugged into the mouse ps/2 socket.

Perhaps that is something to do with it....