Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED]Problems with the video card and touchpad on Samsung

Need help with peripherals or devices?
eddyy8

[SOLVED]Problems with the video card and touchpad on Samsung

#1 Post by eddyy8 »

Hi,
I have a NP300V5A Samsung laptop and I recently installed Debian Squeeze 64bit.
I can't get my nvidia video card driver installed. (NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 520MX)
I also had to install the 3.2 backport kernel because the wireless didn't work ,but after the touchpad
booted into the new kernel the touchpad stoped warking(working bad)...
I found this code that make it work back:

Code: Select all

modprobe -r psmouse
modprobe psmouse proto=imps
but is only going to work until the next reboot..
any ideas?
thk, eddy
Last edited by eddyy8 on 2012-10-25 19:05, edited 1 time in total.

verahill

Re: Problems with the video card and touchpad on Samsung lap

#2 Post by verahill »

Regarding the touchpad, edit your /etc/modules file and put the following line in it:

psmouse proto=imps
Look for any other 'psmouse' lines in that file and in /etc/modprobe.d/ and comment them out.

It's difficult to give explicit and unambiguous advice about video card drivers since it sometimes requires a bit of fiddling. You can look at http://verahill.blogspot.com.au/2012/01 ... ssues.html for an older, not too elegant post on how to set up GT520. Another post which, although meant for Linux Mint Debian Edition, looks sane and is more succinct is here: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/824

I don't know how different GT520MX is from GT520, so your mileage may vary.

Post back if you're having issues (at a minimum the output from lsmod|egrep "nouv\nvi" would be needed)
--------------------------------------------------
http://verahill.blogspot.com
OPs: don't forget to mark your (first) post as solved when the issue has been resolved.

eddyy8

#3 Post by eddyy8 »

thanks the touchpad works fine now! But I folowed the guide for the video card and now gmd3 won't start any more...i'm stuck without any graphic interface...

kedaha

#4 Post by kedaha »

Please see: wiki.debian.org/Bumblebee.
Looks like the easiest way to enable it is by using the Bumblebee Debian repository.
DebianStable

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

eddyy8

#5 Post by eddyy8 »

I tried to install it but it g ave me this:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
bumblebee : Depends: virtualgl but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
is because i have the 3.2 kernel a guess ...any ideas?

kedaha

#6 Post by kedaha »

Why not try it with the stable 2.6.32-5-amd64 kernel? What is the wireless ethernet? Maybe it can be got to work with the stable kernel.
DebianStable

$ vrms

eddyy8

#7 Post by eddyy8 »

kedaha wrote:Why not try it with the stable 2.6.32-5-amd64 kernel? What is the wireless ethernet? Maybe it can be got to work with the stable kernel.
Unfortunatly using the 3.2 kernel i think is the only way, : http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=85882 ...wireless card: intel 130 series
isn't any other way to install the video card?

verahill

#8 Post by verahill »

eddyy8 wrote:thanks the touchpad works fine now! But I folowed the guide for the video card and now gmd3 won't start any more...i'm stuck without any graphic interface...
Eddyy8,

When you say no graphical interface do you mean that you're dumped into the terminal? Or that you get a black screen with a blinking cursor?

To troubleshoot I would need to know which guide you followed.

Also, does
lsmod|egrep "nvi|nou"
show that the nvidia driver is loaded?

If not, try doing

sudo modprobe nvidia
To autoload, add a line saying nvidia in your /etc/modules file, just like you did for the psmouse.

What does

dkms status
show? If everything is fine you should see something along the lines of

nvidia, 304.48, 3.6.0-amd64, x86_64: installed
What does your GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line in the /etc/default/grub file say? If there's a 'text', then delete that and do

sudo update-grub
and reboot.

Is there anything fun in your dmesg?

dmesg|grep [Nn][Vv][Ii]
Edit:
a short description of what you did and what you observed when following one of the video card guides above may also help in ferreting this out -- in particular if one of the steps didn't pan out as expected.

Also, I don't know anything about this laptop in particular, so kedaha's advice on looking at the bumblebee repos may be a better solution.
OPs: don't forget to mark your (first) post as solved when the issue has been resolved.

eddyy8

#9 Post by eddyy8 »

Also, I don't know anything about this laptop in particular, so kedaha's advice on looking at the bumblebee repos may be a better solution.
My laptop is NP300V5A-S02IT : https://www.samsung.com/it/support/mode ... -techspecs ....The bumblebee repos are a good solution becouse they support optimus on video card but I think they are only for the stable kernels..
When you say no graphical interface do you mean that you're dumped into the terminal? Or that you get a black screen with a blinking cursor?

To troubleshoot I would need to know which guide you followed.
I folowed this guide http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/824 and afther i rebooted gdm3 wasn't starting any more so i was stuck in black screen with the terminal...i make it work by restarting gdm3 and then i deleted all the nvidia softwares so all the line you requested have no outputs because there's no other nvidia software installed..

verahill

#10 Post by verahill »

eddy,
I can't give you advice about the bumblebee repo -- I'll leave that to kedaha.

If you want to give the 'vanilla' nvidia route another try, let me know.

You can follow the Mint guide, but at the end where you only got a terminal, check whether the nvidia driver loaded:

lsmod|grep nvi
If not, try

sudo modprobe nvidia
startx

kedaha

#11 Post by kedaha »

I don't have an NVIDIA Optimus laptop but posted the link as relevant to your topic.
If it were my laptop, I think I'd try and get the wireless and touchpad to work with the stable kernel but, failing that, try the 'vanilla' nvidia route suggested by verahill.
DebianStable

$ vrms

eddyy8

#12 Post by eddyy8 »

The wireless only works with the instable kernel....anyway i fonded this driver that i think is ok: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/49073#
But when i tried to install it , it gave me an error about the kernel...it looks like it doesn't find it...here's the log:

nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
creation time: Tue Oct 16 18:29:39 2012
installer version: 304.51

PATH: /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

nvidia-installer command line:
    ./nvidia-installer

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
-> License accepted.
-> Installing NVIDIA driver version 304.51.
-> Would you like to register the kernel module sources with DKMS? This will allow DKMS to automatically build a new module, if you install a different kernel later. (Answer: Yes)
-> Installing both new and classic TLS OpenGL libraries.
-> Installing both new and classic TLS 32bit OpenGL libraries.
-> Install NVIDIA's 32-bit compatibility OpenGL libraries? (Answer: Yes)
-> Searching for conflicting X files:
-> done.
-> Searching for conflicting OpenGL files:
-> done.
-> Installing 'NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86_64' (304.51):
   executing: '/sbin/ldconfig'...
   executing: '/sbin/depmod -aq'...
-> done.
-> Driver file installation is complete.
-> Installing DKMS kernel module:
ERROR: Failed to run `/usr/sbin/dkms build -m nvidia -v 304.51 -k 3.2.0-0.bpo.3-amd64`: 
Error! Your kernel headers for kernel 3.2.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 cannot be found at
/lib/modules/3.2.0-0.bpo.3-amd64/build or /lib/modules/3.2.0-0.bpo.3-amd64/source.
You can use the --kernelsourcedir option to tell DKMS where it's located, or you could install the linux-headers-3.2.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 package.
-> error.
ERROR: Failed to install the kernel module through DKMS. No kernel module was installed; please try installing again without DKMS, or check the DKMS logs for more information.
ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.
any ideas?

verahill

#13 Post by verahill »

Eddy,
it asks for the kernel headers. If the package you installed when you set up kernel 3.2 was called e.g. linux-image-3.2 then there should be a package called linux-headers-3.2-amd64 -- DKMS needs it.

Looking at http://packages.debian.org/squeeze-backports/kernel/ it seems that linux-headers-3.2.0-0.bpo.3-all-amd64 should be it.

Install the headers and try that step again.

eddyy8

#14 Post by eddyy8 »

verahill wrote:Eddy,
it asks for the kernel headers. If the package you installed when you set up kernel 3.2 was called e.g. linux-image-3.2 then there should be a package called linux-headers-3.2-amd64 -- DKMS needs it.

Looking at http://packages.debian.org/squeeze-backports/kernel/ it seems that linux-headers-3.2.0-0.bpo.3-all-amd64 should be it.

Install the headers and try that step again.
Thanks after I’ve installed all the dependencies and linux-headers-3.2.0-0.bpo.3-all-amd64 i was finally able to install the driver...but I don't really know if the driver works like it should ...I tried to start a game ..like "Nibbles" or "Hedgewars" but they don't work... do you know why?

Thk for the help!

verahill

#15 Post by verahill »

Eddy,
The following
I tried to start a game ..like "Nibbles" or "Hedgewars" but they don't work... do you know why?
is a bit vague. In what sense don't they work?

Also, if you start them from the terminal you'll be able to see the error messages they generate.

Looking at the settings in nvidia-settings should give you a good indication to whether everything is working properly. You can also try running glxgears from the terminal as a test-case.

eddyy8

#16 Post by eddyy8 »

Looking at the settings in nvidia-settings should give you a good indication to whether everything is working properly. You can also try running glxgears from the terminal as a test-case.
result:

Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
Anyway i founded out that the driver was not good because it doesn't support optimus....so i decided try to install the bumblebee...flowing the guide i should install first nvidia-glx , but first i have to install it's dependence : nvidia-installer-cleanup_20111111+1~bpo60+1_amd64.deb... but when i try to install it give's me this error:

(Reading database ... 157667 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace nvidia-installer-cleanup 20111111+1~bpo60+1 (using nvidia-installer-cleanup_20111111+1~bpo60+1_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement nvidia-installer-cleanup ...
Setting up nvidia-installer-cleanup (20111111+1~bpo60+1) ...

Welcome to the NVIDIA Software Installer for Unix/Linux

If you plan to no longer use the NVIDIA driver, you should make sure that no X
screens are configured to use the NVIDIA X driver in your X configuration file.
If you used nvidia-xconfig to configure X, it may have created a backup of your
original configuration. Would you like to run `nvidia-xconfig
--restore-original-backup` to attempt restoration of the original X
configuration file?
  [default: (N)o]: ^CReceived signal SIGINT; aborting.
dpkg: error processing nvidia-installer-cleanup (--install):
 subprocess installed post-installation script killed by signal (Interrupt)
Errors were encountered while processing:
 nvidia-installer-cleanup
i think that the x screens means this if i'm not wrong..:

dpkg -l |grep xserver
ii  x11-xserver-utils                        7.5+3                             X server utilities
ii  xserver-common                           2:1.7.7-14                        common files used by various X servers
ii  xserver-xephyr                           2:1.7.7-14                        nested X server
ii  xserver-xorg                             1:7.5+8+squeeze1                  the X.Org X server
ii  xserver-xorg-core                        2:1.7.7-14                        Xorg X server - core server
ii  xserver-xorg-input-all                   1:7.5+8+squeeze1                  the X.Org X server -- input driver metapackage
ii  xserver-xorg-input-evdev                 1:2.3.2-6                         X.Org X server -- evdev input driver
ii  xserver-xorg-input-synaptics             1.2.2-2                           Synaptics TouchPad driver for X.Org server
ii  xserver-xorg-input-synaptics-dev         1.2.2-2                           Synaptics TouchPad driver for X.Org server (development headers)
ii  xserver-xorg-input-wacom                 0.10.5+20100416-1                 X.Org X server -- Wacom input driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-all                   1:7.5+8+squeeze1                  the X.Org X server -- output driver metapackage
ii  xserver-xorg-video-apm                   1:1.2.2-2                         X.Org X server -- APM display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-ark                   1:0.7.2-2                         X.Org X server -- ark display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-ati                   1:6.13.1-2+squeeze1               X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI display driver wrapper
ii  xserver-xorg-video-chips                 1:1.2.3-1                         X.Org X server -- Chips display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-cirrus                1:1.3.2-2+squeeze1                X.Org X server -- Cirrus display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-fbdev                 1:0.4.2-2                         X.Org X server -- fbdev display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-i128                  1:1.3.3-2                         X.Org X server -- i128 display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-intel                 2:2.13.0-7                        X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-mach64                6.8.2-3                           X.Org X server -- ATI Mach64 display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-mga                   1:1.4.11.dfsg-4+squeeze1          X.Org X server -- MGA display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-neomagic              1:1.2.4-3                         X.Org X server -- Neomagic display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-nouveau               1:0.0.15+git20100329+7858345-5    X.Org X server -- Nouveau display driver (experimental)
ii  xserver-xorg-video-nv                    1:2.1.17-3                        X.Org X server -- NV display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-openchrome            1:0.2.904+svn842-2                X.Org X server -- VIA display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-r128                  6.8.1-3                           X.Org X server -- ATI r128 display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-radeon                1:6.13.1-2+squeeze1               X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI Radeon display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-rendition             1:4.2.3-3                         X.Org X server -- Rendition display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-s3                    1:0.6.3-2                         X.Org X server -- legacy S3 display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-s3virge               1:1.10.4-2                        X.Org X server -- S3 ViRGE display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-savage                1:2.3.1-2                         X.Org X server -- Savage display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion         1:1.7.3-2                         X.Org X server -- SiliconMotion display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-sis                   1:0.10.3-1                        X.Org X server -- SiS display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-sisusb                1:0.9.3-2                         X.Org X server -- SiS USB display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-tdfx                  1:1.4.3-2                         X.Org X server -- tdfx display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-trident               1:1.3.3-2                         X.Org X server -- Trident display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-tseng                 1:1.2.3-2+squeeze1                X.Org X server -- Tseng display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-vesa                  1:2.3.0-3                         X.Org X server -- VESA display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-vmware                1:11.0.1-2                        X.Org X server -- VMware display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-voodoo                1:1.2.3-2                         X.Org X server -- Voodoo display driver
what i can do ? i can't just uninstall all by hand ...i don't even really know witch to uninstall...any ideas to how to install nvidia-installer-cleanup? thks again!

verahill

#17 Post by verahill »

Eddy,
It looks like you hit ^C (Ctrl+C) instead of answering Yes or No to the question the nvidia-isnstaller-cleanup asked you.
What you're being told is that you've got your xorg.conf set up to use the nvidia driver.
Try answering No. You can also answer Yes -- it will look for files like e.g. xorg.conf-bu-2011-09-09-14:21:42 and reinstate them. I think you've better off starting without an xorg.conf though and let the bumblebee nvidia installer create one.

If you want to do the removal by hand, this would be my general approach.

(re)move your xorg.conf file

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup 
Remove or comment out any lines mentioning nvidia from your /etc/modules file.

You may also want to move any files with nvidia in the name from your /etc/modprobe.d --- move them to another folder for safekeeping e.g. your home folder. (don't make any subfolders in /etc/modprobe.d)

Then either restart, or unload the nvidia driver:

sudo rmmod nvidia
and you will be back to an nvidia-free system. You can probably then follow the bumblebee guide.

eddyy8

#18 Post by eddyy8 »

It looks like you hit ^C (Ctrl+C) instead of answering Yes or No to the question the nvidia-isnstaller-cleanup asked you.
What you're being told is that you've got your xorg.conf set up to use the nvidia driver.
Try answering No. You can also answer Yes -- it will look for files like e.g. xorg.conf-bu-2011-09-09-14:21:42 and reinstate them. I think you've better off starting without an xorg.conf though and let the bumblebee nvidia installer create one.
How can i answer? I just typed "no" or "yes" than enter , but nothing happened...

verahill

#19 Post by verahill »

Eddy,
The clean-up probably isn't important, but it's still worth getting everything to work as intended.

This is what you should check first:
Is the x server still running, i.e. have you shut it down/rebooted in text mode, or are you having your desktop running?
Have you tried just hitting enter? Or N, then enter? Or Y then enter?
If it still fails, just move the /etc/X11/xorg.conf out of the way.

But having googled a bit I think there may be a bigger issue at hand:
http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic ... nt-update/
(the smxi they are referring to is here: http://smxi.org/)

eddyy8

#20 Post by eddyy8 »

The clean-up probably isn't important, but it's still worth getting everything to work as intended.

This is what you should check first:
Is the x server still running, i.e. have you shut it down/rebooted in text mode, or are you having your desktop running?
Have you tried just hitting enter? Or N, then enter? Or Y then enter?
If it still fails, just move the /etc/X11/xorg.conf out of the way.
I don't know how to see if the x server is still working , i don't really know for sure what is...anyway i tried all! enter , N then enter etc...and there's no file /etc/X11/xorg.conf...
The clean-up is dependent for the packages i need to install for bubblebee, otherwize they don't start... I think that the guy in your link was a different problem..can you explain me a bit more about smxi?