Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Minimal "gnome classic" install in Wheezy

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
A_T

Minimal "gnome classic" install in Wheezy

#1 Post by A_T »

Wondering about trying a minimal install with the latest Gnome without the gnome-shell so that I have the traditional panels with a login manager. Would

Code: Select all

$ apt-get install lightdm xorg gnome-session-fallback nautilus
give me what I want?

Please note I know about XFCE and MATE so no need to suggest these.

vbrummond

Re: Minimal "gnome classic" install in Wheezy

#2 Post by vbrummond »

I don't see why not. :)
Always on Debian Testing

craigevil

#3 Post by craigevil »

try it and find out.

$ apt-get install gnome-session-fallback -s
NOTE: This is only a simulation!
      apt-get needs root privileges for real execution.
      Keep also in mind that locking is deactivated,
      so don't depend on the relevance to the real current situation!
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  evolution-data-server-common gnome-desktop3-data gnome-icon-theme gnome-icon-theme-symbolic gnome-menus gnome-panel
  gnome-panel-data gnome-session-bin gnome-session-common gnome-settings-daemon libcamel-1.2-33 libebook-1.2-13
  libecal-1.2-11 libedataserver-1.2-16 libedataserverui-3.0-1 libgnome-desktop-3-2 libgnome-menu-3-0 libgnomekbd-common
  libgnomekbd7 libgtk-3-bin libgtop2-7 libgtop2-common libgweather-3-0 libgweather-common libjson-glib-1.0-0
  libmetacity-private0a libpanel-applet-4-0 libtelepathy-glib0 libwacom-common libwacom2 libwnck-3-0 libwnck-3-common
  libxklavier16 libxres1 metacity metacity-common nautilus-data policykit-1-gnome
Suggested packages:
  yelp gnome-user-guide nautilus evolution epiphany-browser gnome-keyring gnome-screensaver xdg-user-dirs
Recommended packages:
  gnome-applets gnome-session gnome-control-center evolution-data-server alacarte gvfs gnome-power-manager pulseaudio
  hwdata gnome-themes-standard
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  evolution-data-server-common gnome-desktop3-data gnome-icon-theme gnome-icon-theme-symbolic gnome-menus gnome-panel
  gnome-panel-data gnome-session-bin gnome-session-common gnome-session-fallback gnome-settings-daemon libcamel-1.2-33
  libebook-1.2-13 libecal-1.2-11 libedataserver-1.2-16 libedataserverui-3.0-1 libgnome-desktop-3-2 libgnome-menu-3-0
  libgnomekbd-common libgnomekbd7 libgtk-3-bin libgtop2-7 libgtop2-common libgweather-3-0 libgweather-common
  libjson-glib-1.0-0 libmetacity-private0a libpanel-applet-4-0 libtelepathy-glib0 libwacom-common libwacom2 libwnck-3-0
  libwnck-3-common libxklavier16 libxres1 metacity metacity-common nautilus-data policykit-1-gnome
0 upgraded, 39 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

adenukolnis

#4 Post by adenukolnis »

A_T wrote:

I would use --no-install-recommends option or be sure apt is configured to not install recommends.

I would also add gnome-control-center in that, gnome-themes-standard too, and probably fonts-cantarell as that is the default font.

I dont see the point in lightdm, might as well use gdm3 but whichever

A_T

#5 Post by A_T »

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have been able to install a classic gnome desktop in Sid - and using the theme clearlooks-phenix-theme have approximated the old Gnome 2 Clearlooks desktop. However I have come up against a brick wall in trying to change the desktop icon text colour from black to white and am also stuck with ugly notification area icons.

A_T

#6 Post by A_T »

I'm going to keep this "gnome classic" install alongside XFCE and update it periodically to see where it goes. :D

The main problem is the theming which is buggy, however most of the functionality of Gnome 2 can be reproduced.

A_T

#7 Post by A_T »

Still continuing with this - still working :D

One thing though I have disabled the notification area - the icons provided by Gnome 3 really are ugly and I can't find how to change them,

zodmaner

#8 Post by zodmaner »

A_T wrote:the icons provided by Gnome 3 really are ugly and I can't find how to change them,
You could use LXAppearance to change the icon theme, as well as the GTK2 and GTK3 theme.

A_T

#9 Post by A_T »

Gnome 3.8 is going to abandon gnome-session-fallback so looks like this set-up will not be possible in the future.

kostaris

#10 Post by kostaris »

I would use
--no-install-recommends
for sure, mind though things can get a bit messy in the sense that this option "leaves a lot to be desired" packages-wise ... I have installed gnome-shell that way and had to install extra packages myself such as "menu" just to have a descent gui functionality. But you do get what you want, no more no less and that is a good thing. For the record, I never saw gnome-failback as an alernative to good old gnome2 - the alternative for me is a net-install image of squeeze ..:wink:

gnu2debian

#11 Post by gnu2debian »

I am running a Compaq D510SFF with 3.06Ghz CPU, 2Gb RAM, nvidia geForce FX5200 128MB, and a 22" Samsung 1600x900 Monitor. I installed Wheezy and in Gnome 3, the screen is garbled, but not so much that I can't click on my name at the upper right and log out. After doing so, I chose Gnome Classic and logged in to a perfectly acceptable default and seemingly minimal Gnome Desktop Environment which runs @ 132MB with system monitor running. You can install a lot of different themes, I have cataracts and need a dark background, so I use the "Stars" background from Linux Mint, although in another Desktop PC, I use the default Wheezy "Joy" background. My window theme is Shiki Colors Metacity, GTK "Adwaita", "Neu" Icon Theme and "Ubuntu" fonts (no hecklers - please); and I use Compton for some basic shadows and desktop effects. This new updated version of "Classic" works great on my 10 year old Desktop and I expect to use it through the support lifetime of Wheezy. These old Compaqs are great machines - whisper quiet and virtually bullet proof.

I do have another D510 with lower specs and a 17" 1280x1024 monitor on which I installed Squeeze and xcompgr for some basic effects. For the classicist among us, you can't go wrong with "Squeeze!" That said, if you want Wheezy w/o Mate, (which I have tried BTW, but IMHO, I feel that Mate actually works better with Ubuntu 12.04), you would do well to adapt to the Gnome Classic DE and give it some time, there are enough customization options in the repos to make it simultaneously classic and up to date.

Tanga

#13 Post by Tanga »

Wondering about trying a minimal install with the latest Gnome without the gnome-shell so that I have the traditional panels with a login manager. Would
CODE: SELECT ALL

give me what I want?

Please note I know about XFCE and MATE so no need to suggest these.
I'd love to do this. I have apt-get installed xfce, but there is no way to choose the windows manager on startup - which I vaguely remember is when I choose it. Anyone got some tips?

Cheers,

Tamsyn