Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

iceweasel, customize toolbar

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
nadir

iceweasel, customize toolbar

#1 Post by nadir »

In menu i click on View, then Customize
I pick an icon in the pop-up window to drag it to the menu. As soon it leaves the pop-up window it vanishes.
Same problem the other way around.
Sorting the icons in the menu-bar don't work neither.

I installed new iceweasel from experimental: same problem
I did "mv .mozilla mozilla_backup". Same problem

Is this another new feature? :-)
(those were the times, running forever on one version and the boring "it-works" feeling. It worked yesterday. It works today. And it _will_ work tomorrow, and for _sure_ ).
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

Bulkley

Re: iceweasel, customize toolbar

#2 Post by Bulkley »

Take a look at this: http://www.hermann-uwe.de/blog/configur ... e-bearable
Select "View / Toolbars / Customize".

Add the "New Tab" button/icon right after the "Home" button. This is probably the most-used button (for me at least) and it's not available per default...
Click "Use Small Icons", there's no reason to waste screen space.
Remove the Google search bar (useless).
Now move all icons and the URL bar into the menu bar (I'm not kidding). After that you can disable the nagivation toolbar via "View / Toolbars / Navigation Toolbar" and save even more screen space.

nadir

#3 Post by nadir »

Thanks.
The link is very good. In fact it is one of my favourites (this link, and Uwe Hermann in general).

More good news:
I did not know one is able to move address, search-bar and icons to the menu. Cool.

The bad news (no day without bad news, right?)
The problem is that i can't customize at all. Not that i don't know how to do it, but that i can't do it:
drag and drop does not work.

(I assumed it might be due to some fiddling in about:config, but then thought: Wait, i deleted .mozilla. That can't be the reason. )

emariz

#4 Post by emariz »

Well, it definitely works with Iceweasel 17.0.1 in Squeeze + Backports. As you can see, I even added a toolbar with your name and every available icon.

Image normal >> Image nadir infected

Already tried resetting the toolbars from within the Customising Window?
Could it be a window manager or an X Server problem? Like an event that steals the pointer's focus while you are dragging the icon. Does dragging and dropping works in other applications?

nadir

#5 Post by nadir »

nadir infected
Ha. lol.

K:
I can drag and drop from thunar to the desktop (took me a while to find something where to do it with ...).

graphics are intel, nothing fancy. Everything else works fine (including compiz).

I logged in as the same user, but using fluxbox, instead of xfce: same problem.

I logged in as another user: same problem.
Already tried resetting the toolbars from within the Customising Window?
If you mean reset to defaults: yes. Else i don't know what you mean.

Oh, and yes:
On my other machines iceweasel works fine. My note it is about an upgrade was ... well: wrong (only a joke about the childish jump from version 3 to version 17 in a few days).

Bulkley

#6 Post by Bulkley »

Try renaming .mozilla/firefox.

nadir

#7 Post by nadir »

Bulkley, thanks, but too late. I solved it short ago
(if not wrong i got another installation with the same problem. There i will check).

After all of the above + more i removed and purged iceweasel, ran aptitude purge ~c and deborphan, so i am sure old config files are removed. (as already angry and tired of the problem i ran bleachbit too). I reinstalled iceweasel and it works again (like usual).

Two notes:
- As far i can tell (and always have told) purging and reinstalling shouldn't be a solution, at least not a proper one (aka: this is not windows).
- This installation was a stable installation and hence had iceweasel form the mozilla.debian.net repo. After upgrading to the actual testing i removed the mozilla repo. It might be this is related to the problem (It might also not be related).

I am very happy to have discovered a way to remove the navigation panel.
Also happy to have looked at fluxbox again (now not sure why i use xfce at all. fluxbox seems pretty cool).

thanks for the help.

debil

#8 Post by debil »

nadir wrote:I am very happy to have discovered a way to remove the navigation panel.
You could've just installed Pentadactyl addon to achieve that :D
Q: Why is the Eunux kernel so bloated?
A: It was made in the image of its founder.