Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

LXDE -vs- XFCE4

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
BoDiddley

LXDE -vs- XFCE4

#1 Post by BoDiddley »

As a Debian LXDE user, from the start - which began as a fan of Knoppix. I wanted to say that I have been full blown Debian (not dual) for over a year now, during this entire time I have struggled trying to make LXDE work for me. I tried to stay with LXDE, because I like the combination of LXDE on ReiserFS. My system runs like greased-lightening.

Yesterday, I got fed-up with the kinks. After searching on the subject, XFCE4 purportedly was a drop-in for LXDE. So I dropped it in.

XFCE4 is BadA, in a good way. My system response is improved, without all of the noisy ticks - (which may have been caused by a poorly clocked sound chip/card, which I corrected). The processor does not work as hard (i486). And I only had one complaint, well two. 1) Thunar (FM) does not allow you root access. 2) There is no root terminal, and lxterminal is translucent. No problem - I have always been a fan of XFE, so I use it as a file manager when I need root switching on my folders. And then I made XTERM my primary terminal (for root I simply do "SU").

My external devices mount swiftly. And as an added bonus I might be able to dismiss CUPS, because XFCE4 comes with built-in LPD support. I have not tested my camera, or scanner - but there is no real concern. As we know, the desktop manager does not interfere with the preinstalled software, or files. It just manages them.

Win/Win.
"Wisdom is justified of all her children."

Bulkley

Re: LXDE -vs- XFCE4

#2 Post by Bulkley »

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think LXDE is a one man development team. He did many things right including OS independent utilities like PCManFM. However, one developer teams usually drift away to other interests. That's why I prefer something like Openbox with wich I can use some of the LXDE utilities. As I say, I may be completely wrong about LXDE. I did notice yesterday that their download was doing 404.

XFCE4 is good. I've used it and like it. Development seems to be keeping up.

vbrummond

#3 Post by vbrummond »

BoDiddley wrote:I tried to stay with LXDE, because I like the combination of LXDE on ReiserFS.
People still use reiserfs? :o
1) Thunar (FM) does not allow you root access.
?? http://www.susepaste.org/99656571
2) There is no root terminal
??? http://www.susepaste.org/62575219
Win/Win.
Edit: I meant KDE to xfce for me. Glad you found something that works for you.
Always on Debian Testing

nadir

#4 Post by nadir »

If i want to fiddle i do things not related to the environment.
Hence i like xfce.
Install it, make a few clicks, forget about it
(for the same reason i don't like lxde or openbox. But i know that many, many like it. So it must be me).
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

BoDiddley

#5 Post by BoDiddley »

LXDE is a one man team. I agree he did many things right, and then drifted-off.

ReiserFS is as old as my notebook. They work well together; two friends from the same time warp.

dasein

#6 Post by dasein »

BoDiddley wrote:1) Thunar (FM) does not allow you root access.
Actually it does, if not exactly the way you expect.
BoDiddley wrote:2) There is no root terminal
Any terminal is a root terminal, with just 3-4 keystrokes.
BoDiddley wrote:and lxterminal is translucent
Um... "lxterminal" isn't part of xfce. And the appearance of xfce's terminal program (aptly named "terminal") is fully configurable.

nadir

#7 Post by nadir »

dasein wrote:
BoDiddley wrote:and lxterminal is translucent
Um... "lxterminal" isn't part of xfce. And the appearance of xfce's terminal program (aptly named "terminal") is fully configurable.
xfce's terminal emulator is called xfce4-terminal, not terminal.
Of course it is better than lxterminal ...

Else there is roxterm too. But most of all i use tilda. Oh, and some like terminator (i think cause one can easily split the screen, but as i use screen or byobu anyway ... ).

vbrummond

#8 Post by vbrummond »

No, it used to be called Terminal upstream until only quite recently. The Debian package has been named xfce4-terminal for quite a while though.

http://git.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-terminal ... 5111cfd09a
- Rename the package from Terminal to xfce4-terminal.
Always on Debian Testing

dasein

#9 Post by dasein »

vbrummond wrote:No, it used to be called Terminal upstream until only quite recently.
Still is. (Screenshot from Wheezy)

toomanyhobbies

#10 Post by toomanyhobbies »

The program calls itself Terminal.
The package is actually called xfce4-terminal.
http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/xfce4-terminal

But looking at the experimental changelog for the package:
http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/p ... /changelog
It has quite a few bullet-points about some kind of renaming, changes applied just december 30th from a newer upstream release.

Still called "terminal" in stable and testing though.

nadir

#11 Post by nadir »

$ terminal
bash: terminal: command not found
$ xfce4-terminal &
[1] 12269
$

That is what matters to me, so that i can run it from command-prompt.
Well: first of all i will want to install it. So that is what matters in the first place.

Strange enough
man terminal
will work.

Edit: In case there is any doubt: Yes, i didn't know that upstream is called terminal. New info for me.
Last edited by nadir on 2013-01-06 14:08, edited 1 time in total.

Pednick

#12 Post by Pednick »

There is a root terminal as soon as you apt-get install gdebi, then you can just type thunar in the root terminal for your root access.
BoDiddley wrote:As a Debian LXDE user, from the start - which began as a fan of Knoppix. I wanted to say that I have been full blown Debian (not dual) for over a year now, during this entire time I have struggled trying to make LXDE work for me. I tried to stay with LXDE, because I like the combination of LXDE on ReiserFS. My system runs like greased-lightening.

Yesterday, I got fed-up with the kinks. After searching on the subject, XFCE4 purportedly was a drop-in for LXDE. So I dropped it in.

XFCE4 is BadA, in a good way. My system response is improved, without all of the noisy ticks - (which may have been caused by a poorly clocked sound chip/card, which I corrected). The processor does not work as hard (i486). And I only had one complaint, well two. 1) Thunar (FM) does not allow you root access. 2) There is no root terminal, and lxterminal is translucent. No problem - I have always been a fan of XFE, so I use it as a file manager when I need root switching on my folders. And then I made XTERM my primary terminal (for root I simply do "SU").

My external devices mount swiftly. And as an added bonus I might be able to dismiss CUPS, because XFCE4 comes with built-in LPD support. I have not tested my camera, or scanner - but there is no real concern. As we know, the desktop manager does not interfere with the preinstalled software, or files. It just manages them.

Win/Win.
"An it harm none, do what thou wilt"

ComputerBob

#13 Post by ComputerBob »

You could also add a Thunar custom action to add "Open Root Terminal Here" to your Thunar context (right-click) menu:

http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/custom-actions
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 23 Million Views
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

BoDiddley

#14 Post by BoDiddley »

Good point about lxterminal.... There might have been some cross-over from lxde. However, my solutions are in place. And, I look forward to doing more in the terminal environment (xterm is good), not the desktop. Also, I have always preferred xfe - even under lxde. The desktop's seem to lead us to expect a sense of perfection that is really not necessary on a good OS.