Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

R4W

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Gandalf

R4W

#1 Post by Gandalf »

I've new here and I need some help. I just installed R4W (Replacement for Windows). R4W is a Linux OS based on Debian.
http://on-disk.com/product_info.php/products_id/1531

I'm into the World Community Grid and I am trying to use the BOINC program in the R4W.
I've install it, but I don't know how to get it to run from the reboot. I tried to put at the bottom of the .profile and it did start up, but nothing else did. I had to kill it in order to get the rest of the Desktop. I guess the joke's on me with that one.

I scanned these forums for R4W and came up blank so I feel sure I am not repeating anything already covered.

I'm also trying to get BOINC to crunch with my GPUs (I have two), but BOINC doesn't seem to be able to do that. Probably since not enough people have jumped on the R4W bandwagon.

If you need more info, just ask.

P.S. - I have a custom built i7.
ASUS Sabretooth X58 1366 MOBO/Intel i7 950 3.06GHz Processor
2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1024MB GDDR5 DVI mHDMI Graphics Card
CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model

Please note. I'm a retired Engineer not a programmer so please but gentle. :wink:

Thanks in Advance for your time in reading this request. :shock:

llivv

Re: R4W

#2 Post by llivv »

boinc-app-seti

man boinc

based on debian and Debian are not the same thing.
Just ask any debuntu user that posts here.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

dasein

#3 Post by dasein »

Gandalf wrote:I just installed R4W (Replacement for Windows). R4W is a Linux OS based on Debian.
"Based on" is a fuzzy concept. So be forewarned that what I'm going to tell you might or might not work. And if it doesn't work, then you're probably going to have a difficult time using BOINC in "R4W."

To my mind, the easiest way to make BOINC work in Linux goes something like this:

- download the BOINC installer directly (Do not install the BOINC client from the repos.)
- run the installer
- follow the directions displayed on the screen

Download
In my experience, later versions of BOINC for Linux are missing some arcane dependency, and I've never had the patience to go hunting for a fix. The last version that I know for sure runs "out of the box" on Linux is 6.10.58. Older versions also work. But if you insist on installing a later version, you may be on your own in terms of actually getting it to run. Version 6.10.58 is available at Softpedia (http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Science/BOINC-9427.shtml), and version 6.6 is available at directly from BOINC (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dl/boinc_comp ... nux-gnu.sh)

You'll save yourself a little trouble later if you save the download to where you plan on running it. So, if you wanted to run BOINC from ~ (your user home directory), you should probably save the installer to that directory.

Run
You need to invoke the BOINC installer from the terminal as a regular user
- change to the directory where you saved the installer
- type sh boinc and press TAB (pressing TAB will autocomplete the filename for you)
- hit return
Once the installer is complete, it will tell you how to do the initial run of the BOINC Manager. Attaching to projects, etc. via the Manager works exactly the same in Linux as in other OSes.

This method does not run BOINC as a system daemon (which is, to my mind, one of the many things to like about it.) So getting BOINC to autostart when you log in is exactly the same as any other program. Exact details on how to achieve this vary by desktop environment. Google autostart application <name of your DE here>
Gandalf wrote:I'm also trying to get BOINC to crunch with my GPUs...
Very few projects actually support GPU-based crunching under Linux, and I'm almost positive that WCG is not one of them.

llivv

#4 Post by llivv »

when I first installed boinc from the repo (etch iirc) it didn't work for me out of the box either.
I just installed in from sid and it looks like it might work now and comes with a manual as well,
so one doesn't have to know where the docs are kept on the system.
But, I too checked the seti @ home site to see what's up with them these days before I installed it from the sid repo..

as for R4W it's any ones guess just how different it is from Debian or how much the same it is as Debian,
since you don't know yourself already.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

Gandalf

#5 Post by Gandalf »

llivv wrote:based on debian and Debian are not the same thing.
It is Debian according to the bootup screen.

kiyop
Location: Where persons without desire to improve themselves fear to tread, in Japan

#6 Post by kiyop »

Gandalf wrote:
What a funny guy you are! :lol:
Do you think that bootup screen like debian means the OS is debian?
(I do not conclude that R4W is not debian.)
Your thinking way is very funny. :lol:
Thanks for your making me laugh at you.:P
Openbox, JWM: Jessie, Sid, Arch / Win XP (on VirtualBox), 10
http://kiyoandkei.bbs.fc2.com/

Gandalf

#7 Post by Gandalf »

kiyop wrote:
Gandalf wrote:
What a funny guy you are! :lol:
Do you think that bootup screen like debian means the OS is debian?
(I do not conclude that R4W is not debian.)
Your thinking way is very funny. :lol:
Thanks for your making me laugh at you.:P
Do you have to practice at being rude or does it come naturally?

kiyop
Location: Where persons without desire to improve themselves fear to tread, in Japan

#8 Post by kiyop »

Excuse my having been rude, but I cannot help laughing ;)

If you purchased R4W (10.00$), why not doing "HELP ORDERING" to http://on-disk.com/contact_us.php, instead of bothering the kind persons answered in this thread ?
http://on-disk.com/product_info.php/pro ... 1531#!tab5

If you need help in this debian forum, I think that you had better remove R4W and install sid or so.
Openbox, JWM: Jessie, Sid, Arch / Win XP (on VirtualBox), 10
http://kiyoandkei.bbs.fc2.com/

dasein

#9 Post by dasein »

Gandalf wrote:Do you have to practice at being rude or does it come naturally?
Even if you believe that kiyop was rude (a point I do not actually concede), a wise newcomer might think it prudent not to antagonize well-respected members of this community.

BowCatShot

#10 Post by BowCatShot »

Yeah, don't cast your pearls in front of the swine.

tomiro

#11 Post by tomiro »

Replacement for Windows 2013 (R4W) is a stock Live Debian Wheezy desktop release using a nodm .xsession boot to a desktop featuring a custom fspanel+pcmanfm+metacity setup. It runs fine on as little as 256MB RAM. Only the debian main repository is enabled as shipped. contrib non-fre, and deb-multimedia repositories can be easily enabled under the "Other Software" tab in the Software Sources GUI.

Although there are root and user accounts, the user privledges have been set to never require a password. Both passwords are pre-set to "password" (without the quotes) but, like any Debian install, can be changed along with user privileges to enhance security.

Any advice you can give for a standard Debian install also corresponds to R4W, just consider that the normal main menu is under "All Programs".

Hope this helps,
Todd