Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

DVDStyler on Wheezy revisited

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
golinux

DVDStyler on Wheezy revisited

#1 Post by golinux »

DVDStyler has become a part of my media processing workflow on squeeze but I (and others) can't get it working on wheezy. It is not in the deb.multimedia repos for wheezy and I have been unable to compile it. I first ran up against this bug last October. More recently, several Debian users more fluent in this process that I have also been stumped trying to compile it for wheezy. Hoping some ninja(s) on this forum can get it working. Otherwise, wheezy is working just fine and I'm looking forward to stable.
May the FORK be with you!

stevepusser

Re: DVDStyler on Wheezy revisited

#2 Post by stevepusser »

It appears that the latest versions of DVD Styler require that "libwx_gtk2u_media-2.8" library, which is not built in the Wheezy version of libwxgtk2.8. It is enabled in the newer Ubuntu versions, per their changelog:

Code: Select all

wxwidgets2.8 (2.8.12.1-11ubuntu1) quantal; urgency=low

* Merge from Debian unstable. Remaining changes:
    - debian/rules: re-enable mediactrl. This allows libwx_gtk2u_media-2.8 to be
      built, as this is required by some applications (LP: #632984)
    - debian/control:
      - Build-dep on libxt-dev, libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev,
        and libgconf2-dev for mediactrl.
      - Add conflict on python-wxgtk2.8 (<< 2.8.12.1-6ubuntu1~) to
        python-wxversion to guarantee upgrade ordering when moving from
        pycentral to dh_python2.
  * Drop fix-bashism-in-example.patch. (LP: #1005609)

-- Benjamin Drung <bdrung@ubuntu.com>  Sat, 02 Jun 2012 12:33:00 +0200
So....there's two possible ways to get DVD Styler to build. The harder method is to rebuild the libwxgtk2.8 package from the sources, and copy the change in the debian/rules file from the Ubuntu debian/rules to yours, plus add those new build-deps mentioned in the changelog, and rebuild the packages, which takes a really long time for this beast. The media library is not enabled in the Sid package, so that's right out.

The easier way, since people liked the way the older DVD Styler worked in Squeeze from deb-multimedia, is just to get the source files from deb-multimedia

http://www.deb-multimedia.org/pool/main ... /dvdstyler

and rebuild them on Wheezy. If you lust after a newer version (like me): Pull some sources for DVD Styler from packages.ubuntu.com and try building them until they start requiring that missing library.

Let me try and rebuild the dmo squeeze version first, just to make sure that works, then try some Ubuntu versions.

About that deb.diff patch on the Refracta forum: That was to patch the /debian folder for the libwxgtk2.8 build, in order to enable the media library. It's allowable just to edit the changes into the files inside the /debian folder, the build tools allow that. You're supposed to create patches to make any changes in the original source outside that folder, and if you use the newer 3.0 (quilt) source format, creating them is easy with "dpkg-source --commit" after manually editing the source. Adding an outside patch is as simple as putting it into /debian/patches and adding it to the series file there. Debhelper magically handles everything else automatically, assuming the patches are going to apply correctly, of course.

And it looks like Solus OS is pulling it in from deb-multimedia, that repo is enabled by default.
MX Linux packager and developer

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

OK, the deb-multimedia version won't build against libav 0.8, such as in Wheezy or in squeeze-backports. Let me see if the Ubuntu 2.1 version, which has a patch for libav 0.8, runs into that media library bug.

Edit: Nope, that needs the media library. Looks like rebuilding the libwxgtk2.8 packages are going to be the only answer...

Basically, you can rebuild the Wheezy version following this guide: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=228570

Remember to add an epoch in debian/changelog (make the version 1:2.8.12.1-12) to keep the repo version from updating over your version.

add those three build-deps (see Ubuntu changelog) in /debian/control, and change debian/rules lines 132 and 133 from this:

--libdir=\$${exec_prefix}/lib/$(DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH)
#   --enable-mediactrl \
to

--libdir=\$${exec_prefix}/lib/$(DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH) \
   --enable-mediactrl \
then build the packages and install them. Then the media library should be available to DVD Styler's configure process.

golinux

#4 Post by golinux »

WOW! That was fast!!! THANK YOU!! Don't know what the new DVDStyler features are but I would be quite happy to build from the squeeze version. Since I may not be able to wrap my head around all that, I'm hoping one of the ninjas over at Refracta can nursemaid me through it.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

The Squeeze version would have to be patched to build with Wheezy's libav 0.8.5, but I don't know what has to be done.

It does look like DVD Styler is going to be OK to add to a repo, so I'm to rebuild Squeeze's libwxwidgets library to also include the media library, build the latest Ubuntu DVD Styler against that, and add both to the MEPIS community repo. I've already backported mjpegtools from Sid to support the build of LIVES from there, so I'm good with all the build-deps.

The good thing about building deb packages that fix the issue is that only one person has to do it, then they can share those debs, assuming they have the same architecture (32/64 bit, powerpc, etc)

golinux

#6 Post by golinux »

stevepusser wrote:The Squeeze version would have to be patched to build with Wheezy's libav 0.8.5, but I don't know what has to be done.
OK. I've 'got' it now.
stevepusser wrote:It does look like DVD Styler is going to be OK to add to a repo, so I'm to rebuild Squeeze's libwxwidgets library to also include the media library, build the latest Ubuntu DVD Styler against that, and add both to the MEPIS community repo. I've already backported mjpegtools from Sid to support the build of LIVES from there, so I'm good with all the build-deps.
Will the .deb you build for MEPIS work on Debian? And do the library changes break any other media apps in wheezy?
stevepusser wrote:The good thing about building deb packages that fix the issue is that only one person has to do it, then they can share those debs, assuming they have the same architecture (32/64 bit, powerpc, etc)
Yes. I actually built a .deb using Soul Singin's excellent tut not long ago. All my boxes are still 32 bit BTW.

Please let us know when you have gotten around to posting to the MEPIS community repo.

Again . . . many thanks for your impressive expertise.

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

OK, so far I've rebuilt the Squeeze wxwidgets package to provide the mediactrl library, then backported several build-depends from Wheezy. I was then able to build the DVD Styler version 2.1 from Ubuntu Quantal upon those new and modified libraries, and it runs OK as far as I can tell.

Unfortunately, you can't just install my build of DVD Styler onto Wheezy and expect it to run. It still needs that mediactrl library, and the Wheezy stock wxwidgets package does not provide it. It has to be modified and rebuilt in the way I explained. The 2.1 MEPIS version then ought to work with Wheezy + deb-multimedia (deb-multimedia to provide mjpegtools)

The latest DVD Styler, 2.3.4, also requires a newer libwxsvg-dev (>= 2:1.1.9~) which I found and backported from Debian Experimental, and wxwidgets 2.8.12, which Wheezy has (but it has to be rebuilt!), and Squeeze does not (it should be backportable with some effort...)

I don't recommend installing any libXXX packages from the MEPIS CR into Wheezy, because I undo any multiarch changes to make them work with Squeeze, and you don't want that with Wheezy.

Basically follow that guide about building packages the Smart Way to fix Wheezy's wxwidgets, that is

install the package building tools listed
add a "deb-src" line for the Wheezy repo
create a "build" folder somewhere in your HOME directory, no spaces in the path to that folder (i.e. "/home/steve/Desktop/My Builds" won't work)
open a terminal in that folder and run

su -c 'apt-get update'
apt-get source libwxgtk2.8-0
su -c 'apt-get build-dep libwxgtk2.8-0'
Now, you're going to add libxt-dev, libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev,
and libgconf2-dev as build deps, so go ahead and install those packages, too. Remember, you also need fakeroot installed to package anything.

The apt-get source command downloaded the Wheezy sources for wxwidgets and extracted, debianized, and applied the patches in debian/patches to the source. Enter the source and then the /debian folder, and edit the top line of changelog (Add a 1: to the beginning of the version number), then the control file to add those three new build-depends, then the rules file as noted above. Go back up one level to the root of the source file( you can see the "debian" folder) and open a terminal there and run:

dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc
the Squeeze rebuild took about 40 min on my 2.7 GHz laptop, using a single core. Once the process is finished, discard the -dbg debugging debs unless you plan to use them, and install the rest with

su -c 'dpkg -i -B *.deb'
Now that mediactrl error should be fixed, and you should be able to install the dvdstyler and dvdstyler-data MEPIS CR packages once I finish them, for sure version 2.1, maybe 2.3.4 if I can figure out a backport for Wheezy's wxwidgets packages and you get libwxsvg 1.1.9 from Experimental. I currently don't have any Wheezy-compatible build environments set up, only Squeeze/MEPIS 11, but will eventually...

Debian disabled it because it brought in gconf2, and they did not think it should have done that for a non-Gnome package. If you are already running Gnome or gconf2...what's the big deal? (at least that's how it seems to me)

golinux

#8 Post by golinux »

Thanks for the very well-explained process of getting this working. Not that I'm ready to jump into it quite yet. It needs to sit and sink in first.

Even though I'll be using xfce on wheezy, I do use a few gnome apps and see that along the way gconf2 was installed. So that shouldn't be a problem.

Will report back if/when I finally work this out.

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

Well, someone did try my fixed Squeeze library and DVD Styler on Wheezy-based MEPIS 12 alpha, and reported it did work fine. It would break anything that really needs the newer 2.8.12 wxwidgets, though.

http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 93#p314793

golinux

#10 Post by golinux »

Thanks for the update. I still haven't gotten around to trying it. I have to be in just the right mood to go into that space. ;)

stevepusser

#11 Post by stevepusser »

Just an update. I finally sat down and figured out how to "de-multiarch" and backport the Wheezy wxwidgets 2.8.12 for MEPIS 11/Squeeze (adding the mediacrtl), and did for the same for the libwxsvg 1.1.13 sources from the DVD Styler PPA. Packaging and installing these allowed me to build the latest stable DVD Styler 2.4.2. Sending them up to the repo right now.

So let me know if you need some coaching to do the same on Wheezy..

golinux

#12 Post by golinux »

stevepusser wrote:Just an update. I finally sat down and figured out how to "de-multiarch" and backport the Wheezy wxwidgets 2.8.12 for MEPIS 11/Squeeze (adding the mediacrtl), and did for the same for the libwxsvg 1.1.13 sources from the DVD Styler PPA. Packaging and installing these allowed me to build the latest stable DVD Styler 2.4.2. Sending them up to the repo right now.

So let me know if you need some coaching to do the same on Wheezy..
Your continued efforts are VERY appreciated.

However, since, I'm in the middle of a big editing project on squeeze, it will be a while before I get back to this. But definitely not forgotten.

In the meantime, I noticed that Alex Thuering added this to an old thread of mine over on the DVDStyler forum. Probably old news to you:
To compile DVDStyler on Debian you need:
1. install wxWidgets (v2.9) (./configure --enable-media)
2. install wxSVG (./configure --with-wx-config=/usr/local/bin/wx-config)
3. install DVDStyler (./configure --with-wx-config=/usr/local/bin/wx-config)
meandean, fsmithred and nadir have also been trying to get this working on refracta which is what I'll be running when wheezy goes stable.

stevepusser

#13 Post by stevepusser »

OK, if they need help, have them post here...I much prefer building "proper" deb packages.

You do have to add three build-depends if you enable the mediactrl library, see notes above.

I also was able to make a DVD out of a big DVD format .mpg file I had earlier created with DeVeDe without mplexing or transcoding using DVD Styler 2.4.2. I right-clicked on the title button for the file at the bottom, chose "Properties", and told it not to do that in the dialog box that came up.

Edit: OK, I see they are doing proper deb "repacks" of some of my packages and Ubuntu's. That's probably OK, but it would probably be for the best if they kept the multiarch libraries, which I have to take out for Squeeze compatibility. That actually makes it a lot easier to rebuild the multiarch versions on Wheezy, since there's a lot less modification to the files in /debian required.

I wonder if avidemux could be made Debian-compliant. I know it contains an internal version of libfaac, which is a no-no, but maybe that can be removed. Libav's internal AAC encoder is just as good now or even better.

golinux

#14 Post by golinux »

The Refracta crew has been very helpful. They are doing some interesting things over there . . .

Thanks for the tip about turning off the transcoding. Currently, DVDStyler is not installed on wheezy. - I nuked it out of frustration. LOL! But when I get back to it, I know I'll be able to take care of that one annoyance.

When I first installed Avidemux years ago, it was part of the 'official' Debian repos . It would be great to bring it back into the fold. You're the most likely candidate to do it . . . hint, hint . . .

stevepusser

#15 Post by stevepusser »

Though this may not be be a perfect solution, I was able to install and do a test conversion from an .mkv file to an iso using the Windows DVD Styler 1.4.2 on Wine (wine 1.5.27, to be precise) Somehow, it shows a lot more templates than my native Linux build, what the hey? I did have to turn off any "mplex" in the core settings, though. This seems to have it create one .vob file first, instead of separate audio and video files that it then muxes together.

I'll try DVD Flick on Wine, next.

golinux

#16 Post by golinux »

That's too twisted!

stevepusser

#17 Post by stevepusser »

Well, it's an easy way to have it on Wheezy, and it runs just as fast in Wine as the native build.