Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Kudos

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Gerowen
XMMP/Jabber: gerowen@conversations.im

Kudos

#1 Post by Gerowen »

Kudos Debian, you are awesome. Well it's really a combination of things, let's just call it a well thought out operating system.

High winds are here now as the blizzard approaches, and my power flashed. I had several tabs open in Google Chrome, a LibreOffice spreadsheet, and was in the middle of writing an e-mail in Evolution. Within 30 seconds of the power coming back on I was looking at my desktop and everything was recovered, the e-mail, my Chrome tabs, even the spreadsheet I was working on, :-)

Bravo open source, bravo Debian, you've made my day, :-)

vbrummond

Re: Kudos

#2 Post by vbrummond »

It is great when everything works out well. :) I am happy you had such a good experience. Thanks for sharing it.
Always on Debian Testing

Gyokuro

#3 Post by Gyokuro »

I would like to thank all Debian devs for their great work - installed wheezy, rsynced my data from my old box and I'm happy - wheezy is fast :D

buntunub

#4 Post by buntunub »

Agree. Aside from the trouble I had installing it, once it was up and running, Wheezy KDE is the best I have seen. All those niggling little issues that are always prevalent in virtually every Linux Distro or even Squeeze, simply are not there with Wheezy.

mindflash

#5 Post by mindflash »

I also am very happy with Wheezy, I hope they keep on the right track since Wheezy is attracting users from other distros or operating systems, like me. It is so nice to have something that is not bloated in any way and have documentation about fixes and configurations. I just hope that it keeps becoming an easier operating system, because I would like to get family and friends using it, but it is not a simple task for casual users yet, while Wheezy is a big improvement in that department.

In my opinion, Debian is the answer to a lot of users around the globe that want to embrace change, and it is one of the few distros that have a respectable contract with the community, which means it is a safe and wise choice. Debian just needs to realize that and embrace them, listening to them and helping to educate them into free people of tomorrow.

/tmp

#6 Post by /tmp »

buntunub wrote:Agree. Aside from the trouble I had installing it, once it was up and running, Wheezy KDE is the best I have seen. All those niggling little issues that are always prevalent in virtually every Linux Distro or even Squeeze, simply are not there with Wheezy.
Wheezy KDE is now my DE of choice of professional work. I can't wait to use Kdenlive at work (I'm a multimedia producer and web developer) for non-linear video editing.
Bookworm | Intel I7-3667U | Apple Macbook Air 5,2 (Mid 2012) (Laptop) | 8 GB RAM | 3rd Gen Intel Core Graphics

alexanderson

#7 Post by alexanderson »

well said. i also agree. debian is a blessing to all its users.
Last edited by alexanderson on 2013-03-18 11:14, edited 2 times in total.

robert3242

#8 Post by robert3242 »

Gerowen wrote:Kudos Debian, you are awesome. Well it's really a combination of things, let's just call it a well thought out operating system.

High winds are here now as the blizzard approaches, and my power flashed. I had several tabs open in Google Chrome, a LibreOffice spreadsheet, and was in the middle of writing an e-mail in Evolution. Within 30 seconds of the power coming back on I was looking at my desktop and everything was recovered, the e-mail, my Chrome tabs, even the spreadsheet I was working on, :-)

Bravo open source, bravo Debian, you've made my day, :-)
Couldn't agree more. I did have an issue of not being able to boot straight into the default DE when I first tried to install Wheezy using the "simple" mode of the installer, but I knew that had to be driver related since I have an Nvidia card. So I reinstalled using the "expert" option, unchecked everything except the "standard system" option, then booted into my new Debian CLI to finish the job. All I had to do was to install the meta package for the standard Debian desktop environment (Gnome3), install build-essentials, and then the nvidia-glx package. My new Nvidia kernel module was built using DKMS, I ran nvidia-xconfig (also had to install that separately) to write the appropriate /etx/X11/xorg.conf file, and I rebooted into my gorgeous new desktop without a single issue.

I've run Debian Sarge, Lenny, and Squeeze before this, and thus far Wheezy blows them all away. This system's rock-solid even by Debian standards, and I couldn't be any happier with it.
Debian 7.7 (amd64)/Xfce 4.8